Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman - Arkham Knight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah ima totally buy another rockstar game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I havent played origins, but loved both asylum and city. Its good to see Rocksteady back at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah ima totally buy another rockstar game.

I would too. But seeing as they have nothing to do with Batman, is that really relevant? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm not excited at the Prospect of another Arkham game, especially after Origins.... good story and bosses but too much filler I know they had nothing to do with it, but even if they had it doubt it would have been much different. If rocksteady came out with a game not batman that was as good as asylum and city then id jump at it , but don't want another batman ....... unless..... the 60's called and they said it was cool to make a batman game like that with Adam West reprising his role :pac:

Joke will be on all of us when it turns out they resurrect Urban Chaos and not Batman!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Urban chaos was class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I remember being all excited at the rumors Rocksteady had gotten the TMNT license to work on! Then it turned out Activision has bought it. The horror :(

Looking forward to seeing what they have though

Does anyone know when game informer gets released? Just wondering when in march we will be getting news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

I dont think I finished the last batman.. which is saying something, as I loved the previous two. It was a fair buggy mess tbh (on pc anyway), which ultimately made me stop playing.

The city felt a bit rehashed too - almost like it was a series of dlc for arkham city..

It wont be a day one purchase from me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think they need to change up the formula for this one. Two great and one poorly made game that all followed the same template within such a short time of each other were enough. Make another that's not different enough and the franchise could begin to lose people's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Moving to the open city setting was a bit of misstep.

A more tightly focused game like the first one would be better. The City had too much junk/distractions shoed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I only had minor bug issues with Origins, and while I enjoyed it (story was possibly best of the three, but other issues let it down) I'm looking forward to this a lot more.

Well the main thing is that the next game is back to Rocksteady who made the first two. Origins was good and I didn't come across many bugs on ps3 but I think it was just a filler while Rocksteady worked the the next gen batman. High hopes for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Moving to the open city setting was a bit of misstep.

A more tightly focused game like the first one would be better. The City had too much junk/distractions shoed in.
    The city, if done well, can be great. You could see a few elements in the last two games with investigating crime scenes and figuring out where the likes of Deadshot fired from etc. I think the "detective" part "The Dark Knight Detective" was missing from the first game and a more open area to play in would give developers a good opening for making players use their brains to solve crimes. But, again, that requires it to be done well. Arkham City had too much random things happening and it came across as very unfocused, while Origins had very little happening. If they can make more of a living, breathing style city then they may not need to put riddler puzzles all over it to make it interesting.

humanji wrote: »
    If they can make more of a living, breathing style city then they may not need to put riddler puzzles all over it to make it interesting.

That, I'd have no objection too, I'd like to see that.

Have riddles about the place alrite, but have them as crime scenes. The silly riddler puzzles on every rooftop and alley was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Much preferred the open city setting of AC to AA meself. The side quests only distract if you let them, though personally I liked most of them. As said above, tone down the literal trophy hunting, and improve the detective work and I'd be very happy (I'd also like the stealth element to be revamped but that's just me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Even jazzing up the "crimes in progress" thing from Origins would have been great. As it was, it was just "go here, beat up those thugs". Remember Spider-Man 2 on the PS2? Having to catch up with stolen cars, leap onto them and dodge gunfire from the passengers? That'd be freaking awesome fun as the Dark Knight, and it'd put a bit more life into Gotham.

Sarky wrote: »
    Even jazzing up the "crimes in progress" thing from Origins would have been great. As it was, it was just "go here, beat up those thugs". Remember Spider-Man 2 on the PS2? Having to catch up with stolen cars, leap onto them and dodge gunfire from the passengers? That'd be freaking awesome fun as the Dark Knight, and it'd put a bit more life into Gotham.
    That's exactly what I was expecting when I first heard about the crimes in progress thingy in Origins. Given how enthusiastically the developers were talking about it, you'd think they were talking about something completely different to what ended up there.

What possibly ended up weighing down Origins, and City to an extent, is also that they were set over one night. If they stretched it out over many days and nights the side missions and villains wouldn't seem so weak, story-wise. It would have made sense for Origins if you have this open city with people going about their business and only a rumour of some sort of man-bat. Then as you go from day to day/night to night, the mythology around you grows and then you'd have the likes of Black Mask wanted to kill you and Joker wanting to find out who this other madman is.

Ooh, or some sort of open-world predator/intimidation minigame where you scare a thug into running from you, then zoom ahead with your bag o' tricks to appear ahead of him so he turns left at an alley here, right at an alley there, and so on until he blunders into a dead end or snare you'd set earlier for him. A lot more could be done to play to Batman's strengths.

Sarky wrote: »
    Ooh, or some sort of open-world predator/intimidation minigame where you scare a thug into running from you, then zoom ahead with your bag o' tricks to appear ahead of him so he turns left at an alley here, right at an alley there, and so on until he blunders into a trap you'd set earlier for him. A lot more could be done to play to Batman's strengths.

Essentially being able to do what Batman does in the comics, really. None of this waiting for a bad guy to charge, side-stepping, hitting them for a bit and then waiting for them to charge again. :D

Exactly. Batman isn't supposed to be that kind of hero. He's supposed to be this terrifying nightmare criminal-hunter, who has no qualms about fighting dirty. The invisible predator sections went a long way towards getting the feel right, as you watched thugs get increasingly scared and erratic. There's no reason it couldn't be expanded to cover areas bigger than a room with a few conveniently placed gargoyles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im replaying Arkham city. The hole on catwoman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Batman: Arkham Knight revealed.

Open world, driveable Batmobile, PS4/XOne/PC only it seems.

batman_knight.jpg

That sounds awesome, but also a little disheartening that they've already got the DLC sorted for pre-orders. I knew there was always going to be DLC, and yet I still feel slightly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Slightly surprised that what's being touted as the conclusion to the Arkham series is skipping the old gen machines, but cross gen is winding down already I guess.

Look forward to the batmobile, I just hope for a larger game world or else there won't be much room for it to breathe!

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Slightly surprised that what's being touted as the conclusion to the Arkham series is skipping the old gen machines, but cross gen is winding down already I guess.

Look forward to the batmobile, I just hope for a larger game world or else there won't be much room for it to breathe!

I'm sure the world will be pretty big, I'm just worried about how full of life it'll be.

I don't mind what they do for this to be honest, as long as its a change from City and Origins.

GTA: Gotham is what I am picturing at the moment.

Scarecrow as the main baddie? Well that could go the way of Black Mask and Deathstroke, and mean nothing, as least it won't be the Joker again, or will it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Yeah it's been confirmed somewhere can't find the link that it's Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

humanji wrote: »
    I'm sure the world will be pretty big, I'm just worried about how full of life it'll be.

aye, wonder how they're going to explain away zero civilian population this time :pac:

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    aye, wonder how they're going to explain away zero civilian population this time :pac:

Hopefully the next gen can handle civilian NPCs. :pac:

Sure they could always add a loading screen every few metres.

Advertisement