Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Whos the dealer?

If this is avreputable dealer i see no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Whos the dealer?

If this is avreputable dealer i see no problem.

I dont have the name to hand but I do recall its a reputable dealer and the name/phone number etc checks out

Tiesto wrote: »
    I dont have the name to hand but I do recall its a reputable dealer and the name/phone number etc checks out

But is this been done through a Dealer in Ireland or is it all being done through email?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

I recently sold my car, on September 18th, to a bunch of lads from Dundalk (They said) They paid cash close to asking price and drove off, I idiotically gave them the log book. Yesterday I got a bill in the door for 36 euro from eflow, my tag was unregistered the day after I sold the car, but the reg number is apparently in my name. I've tried contacting the buyer but till no reply. I left a message on their phone threatening to call the Gardai if it isn't sorted by saturday. Does anyone have any advice (Advice now, not just pointing out the fact that I should have kept the logbook... Because I know that, and whats done is done)

Ring eflow and explain your case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 eFlow: Keith

Hi Timooo_23,

If you have sold your vehicle and are still receiving correspondence for it, this means that the vehicle is still registered under your name. If you are having difficulty transferring the ownership details, you can declare yourself the last valid owner of the vehicle up until the date the vehicle left your possession.

Please contact the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division with the Department of Transport in Shannon to request the correct procedure for doing this. You can contact them by phone via landline (061 365000) or lo-call (1890 411 412).

Regarding the notices you have received from eFlow, if you would like to PM me the details (registration plate number, name and address you had it registered to and confirmation that you owned the vehicle at one point) I can look into the notices for you.

We also have a Talk To forum here on Boards if you ever need to find us again.

Regards,
    Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Anyone ever have any dealings with Smith Auto Developments in Dun Laoghaire? I'm interested in the BMW 1-series they have on the books; even when buying from a garage with a used car warranty, I assume it is still prudent to get the motor checked out by an independent mechanic before pulling the trigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 easilyled

Hi

I'm selling my camper to a chap from the UK. What do I do in terms of the log book. My instinct is telling me to sign the details, take a copy and give it to him as he will need it for the DVLA. Is this correct?

Wouldn't be so sure on that.

Try pming MidlandsM, he knows everything when it comes to that area of sales.

Done, thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

dunno about that.......lol......:D
    easilyled wrote: »
    Done, thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

got that, and replied to, no bothers. :pac:

MidlandsM wrote: »

dunno about that.......lol......:D

got that, and replied to, no bothers. :pac:
    The advise is to fill in nothing and hand over the doc. Ill keep a copy and notify Shannon.

Cheers for your help lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sheilaz

easilyled wrote: »
    Hi

I'm selling my camper to a chap from the UK. What do I do in terms of the log book. My instinct is telling me to sign the details, take a copy and give it to him as he will need it for the DVLA. Is this correct?

I'm selling a camper to UK as well. The buyer is coming tomorrow 6 am...Just now i realize I don't know How to make this...Should I give the car registration to the buyer just take copy for me? I already have a sale agreement. I don't know if you can understand me. Do I make me clear....I have a bad english..sorry..:o

Sheila

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

sheilaz wrote: »
    I'm selling a camper to UK as well. The buyer is coming tomorrow 6 am...Just now i realize I don't know How to make this...Should I give the car registration to the buyer just take copy for me? I already have a sale agreement. I don't know if you can understand me. Do I make me clear....I have a bad english..sorry..:o

Sheila
    The Vehicle Registration Document should be handed over to the buyer. You do not need to do anything else, but I would take a copy of the signed page and prepare a sale agreement document in two copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sheilaz

Seweryn wrote: »
    The Vehicle Registration Document should be handed over to the buyer. You do not need to do anything else, but I would take a copy of the signed page and prepare a sale agreement document in two copies.

Thank you very much you help me a lot.

Sheila

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think I have messed up and did that thing you are never supposed to do, I sold a car for €200 for parts and the buyer took the log book. He said as he was a garage he would register it under the garage that you only need to send it off if your selling privately.

It sounded dodgy but it all happened so fast I wasn’t really thinking.

After reading here I saw you could ring the place in Shannon and declare that it is no longer in your name, I did that this morning and they were zero help and even told me it was my own fault that the onus is on the seller and there is nothing I can do about it now without the paperwork.

Any advice on how to proceed, I know it is my own stupid fault I don’t really care about anything other than it coming back on me re tax or penalty points or worse. I did get a photo of his driving licence with address etc on it. He was talking about trying to fix it up, it will need a good bit of work so I don’t expect it to be on the road in the next few days but still just worried about it now.

Could I get a replacement log book fill it out and send it off?

Did you ring him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

These are a few DON’Ts when completing the deal. You have been warned.

Don’t let them take the logbook (registration cert) with them, post it yourself. Do not listen or believe any excuse they may have. I cannot stress this enough.

Complete newb to this so I'm sure there is a very obvious answer to the question I'm about to ask but....

I'm looking to buy a second hand car, we agree a deal, I pay you, fill out the log book and leave it with you to send off and I drive off in my new car.

What's to stop you claiming the last one was lost to the Motor Tax Office, applying for a new one and now I don't have the vehicle registered in my name?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking at buying a used car, last time I did this was 10 years ago. What's a 'reasonable offer' to make?

For example, if the asking price is €15k and seems to be in the same price range as others of that model and mileage would I be wasting my time offering €12k (straight deal, cash, no trade in). I've got the expected line from the dealer about strong interest in the car etc.

I want to make and offer along the lines of the above but don't was to be laughed out the gate. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

mrpdap wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm looking at buying a used car, last time I did this was 10 years ago. What's a 'reasonable offer' to make?

For example, if the asking price is €15k and seems to be in the same price range as others of that model and mileage would I be wasting my time offering €12k (straight deal, cash, no trade in). I've got the expected line from the dealer about strong interest in the car etc.

I want to make and offer along the lines of the above but don't was to be laughed out the gate. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Honestly that can be anoying and insulting to some I really don't see anybody dropping €3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Honestly that can be anoying and insulting to some I really don't see anybody dropping €3000

Not to a dealer. Its not a private sale if they are talking about trading in. Offer as low as you like, if nothing else its a starting point. Any salesman who gets personally insulted by an offer on a piece of stock is in the wrong job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Not to a dealer. Its not a private sale if they are talking about trading in. Offer as low as you like, if nothing else its a starting point. Any salesman who gets personally insulted by an offer on a piece of stock is in the wrong job.

Never heard of anywhere going down €3000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Ah I wasn't saying it would get them it at they price, just that I wouldn't be afraid to make an opening offer of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

When I bought my car, Windsor Galway went from a 12500 asking price to 9600 cash price... Some dealers' asking prices are in the stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 milimetr192

I just bought a cheap car from the car dealer recently, and I know they can go down lot. Lets talk about percentage of the price, so asking price was 1000 euro, bought for 600. (great car anyway). What I am trying to say: dealer can go down a lot, because they gettin second hand cars in trade in for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 melonball

any advise on what to do if they take the vehicle reg book?? how do you sort out ownership? esp when you've no address for the person!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Friend has a car he's looking to sell anybody and idea how much to put it up for?

Its a Volvo s40 2006 1.8Petrol with 60k miles on it,full cream leathers mint condition throughout,how much is it worth im seeing any where from 4500 to 6500 online,

cheers

Put it up for 5.5k and go from there. He'll be able to judge from interest then.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

I'm putting my car up for sale in the next week (as i'm emigrating), and i'm new to selling privately!

I'm trying to come up with worst case scenarios, so if someone gave me fake cash, and takes off with the car, where do i stand? Obviously i know not to give the logbook, but i'd be concerned about getting someone dodgy to buy my car!

Also when test driving - if they arent insured in my car (more than likely they won't be if they are not covered to drive other cars), how far can i let them drive around in it?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 milimetr192

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    I'm putting my car up for sale in the next week (as i'm emigrating), and i'm new to selling privately!

I'm trying to come up with worst case scenarios, so if someone gave me fake cash, and takes off with the car, where do i stand? Obviously i know not to give the logbook, but i'd be concerned about getting someone dodgy to buy my car!

Also when test driving - if they arent insured in my car (more than likely they won't be if they are not covered to drive other cars), how far can i let them drive around in it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Well, if somebody gave U fake cash- U stand in deep ****, but U have his personal details on the logbook (if they are real). If U are so worried, than get yourself that yellow marker they are using in the shop for checking the notes. If they are not insured, dont let them drive. Take them for a spin, but drive yourself, and if U let them take a short spin arround the estate, always be in the car with them. Good luck

Advertisement