Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to buy a car

• 09-09-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hi

I never thought that buying a car would be harder than selling.

I took me almost two months to sell my old car (Clio '07) at the end reduced 200 euros and sold it.

Since last Friday I'm car-less and trying to purchase new one.
    Been calling, texting and sending message to four of five "sellers" on donedeal and - nothing.

No one answers, no reply to text (understood that one) no reply to messages on donedeal !

At the moment I just searched for a cheapest car around my location and guess what - no answer when I called.

I thinking 'bout bike to work scheme at work

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Leave voicemails. They usually ring back. The seller might be trying to suss you out by the tone of your voice and what you say before talking over the phone one on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

only if there was option to leave vm !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ring them at lunchtime or between 6-8pm and not a some pain in the hole time.

The cheapest for sale is normally for a reason, complete shed most times. Try to buy from someone only selling one car and not a fleet of them from his front lawn. Additionally anything for sale for over 10 days is junk too at that pricing level.

I'll try again 2morrow.

Maybe they work like anpost around my area ?
    Monday is too soon after weekend and Friday is weekend already -- never ever got any e-mail on those days!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will also find that some sellers just don't bother updating their donedeal advert when their car is sold and their burner phone is thrown in a drawer forgotten about until the battery dies. Also make sure your phone is not set to private number as most smartphones now can block private numbers.

Tbh buying and selling privately is just a nightmare these days though. Time wasters on both sides of the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's mad. Whenever I sell a car I always respond to every message.
    Just don't text "best price bud?" please :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Fmradiofan

The main problem with some is that they don't know what their car is worth and think their car is worth far more than it actually is and refuse to accept reasonable offers as the are ignorant to the fact that cars that are more than 10 years old are worth little or nothing regardless of nct/tax or service history etc especially anything older than 08.
    Then on the other hand you have chancers and in my opinion morons offering €150 on a car thats say advertised for 8 or €900.
    I can't stand either buying or sellin anything especially on the likes of adverts!

But to even bargain about price/car they need to answer phone or reply to message/text.

At the end I bought car from 1st person which answered their phone !!

So far so good.

Tom

Agreed. Too many muppits nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Forget about Donedeal, go to your nearest large town and visit the car dealers there, they will always have trade cars to clear or visit the second hand car dealers.

• Advertisement

Funny thing.

Car have 159 thousands miles on the clock.
    After removing engine cover (was checking air and oi filters) discovered that someone put white markings on timing belt cover, they read 290 !
    Nothing except 290, no miles no km.

Wonder that to thing about it.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Walk away

kindalen wrote: »
    Walk away

Can't
    Bought it last week.

There is engine cover which you need to unscrew to see timing belt housing.

On the other hand car is in very good condition and it doesn't show usage of almost 160 thousands miles.

Anyhow timing kit cost around 100 euro including water pomp so need to find out how much for labour.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What kind of car is it?

Volvo S40 1.6 Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Funny thing.

Car have 159 thousands miles on the clock.
    After removing engine cover (was checking air and oi filters) discovered that someone put white markings on timing belt cover, they read 290 !
    Nothing except 290, no miles no km.

Wonder that to thing about it.

Tom

If the Odometer is in miles (not Km) then it's a fairly safe bet that the Belt was changed at 290k......miles. But if it's running well then hopefully you get a decent bit of mileage out of it. Fingers crossed.

yeah but odometer shows 150k miles
    and on timing belt cover says 290

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How cheap was the car ?

So far model on logbook is R Design Sport but vin decoder shows it as Kinetic (which make sense as it lack fog lights, cruse control and steering wheels controls) and air condition condenser had a leak and all stuff from air condition is gone.

And cabin filter looked like it wasn't replaced in ages (but it isn't easy to replace it - took me over two hours).

Tom

yeah but odometer shows 150k miles
    and on timing belt cover says 290

Tom
    NO
    Sounds like engine was replaced at some stage i see it all the time!
    Roughy 250 for labour give or take.

• Advertisement

Fmradiofan wrote: »
    NO
    Sounds like engine was replaced at some stage i see it all the time!
    Roughy 250 for labour give or take.

I have appointment with a mechanic next Monday to replace fluids so I'll check engine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Those 1.6s were a total let down in terms of reliability. Which was a real shame as the S40 itself was a very good car and otherwise very reliable. The 2.0 d and petrols were fine

Advertisement