Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sex is Not Rent

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

JJayoo wrote: »
    1) Guy tries his luck with woman
    2) woman says no
    3) guy stops

Is this not the consent that everyone is harping on about?

:rolleyes: who needs context anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

2) woman says no
    3) guy stops

Yeah lets leave out the power dynamic that makes all of this 100 times sleazier

Guard pulls over a woman and says in lieu of a speeding fine she can give him a blowjob - no harm no foul right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Guard pulls over a woman and says in lieu of a speeding fine she can give him a blowjob - no harm no foul right?

Sure he is just trying his luck with women like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

2) woman says no
    3) guy stops

There was no power dynamic, the woman was moving out of the house in a few days, she would never have to see the guy again, she didn't owe him anything.

The example you gave is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Miike wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you haven't a bulls notion in Antarctica about GDPR. Maybe you should write some notes down for yourself first?

Mike my first post flew just a little over your head, sorry. It wasn’t a serious post, but for your benefit though, Ruth isn’t the LL looking for sex, the texter isn’t her male tenant, and you are quite right, GDPR would not apply as it was spoken in parliament and she wasn’t the data controller. If you read it a few more times, I’m confident you will understand that it was whimsical, if not, I can clarify it more simply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mod Note

Use of this language in this forum is not permitted.
    Continue and it will result in a ban.

Consider this an on thread warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Arghus wrote: »
    You guys have some strange notions around here.

That was, at best, highly creepy stuff in those messages, to say anything else is a bit mad, quite frankly.

Ye might all hate Ruth Coppinger, but I guess there are none so blind as those that will not see.

They'd all sing a very different song if it was their own kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't want to quote the whole post. It's a very simplistic post, I just picked the worst paragraph. It's looking to at capitalism from very archaic point of view. State is constantly interfering into market with regulations about minimum wage, import duties, health and safety regulations and whole plethora of other ways. To suggest rental market is somehow different and should be pure supply and demand without regulation is ridiculous. Not to mention that countries with more secure and sustainable rental models have very clear regulations that benefit renters and landlords.

Where exactly did I suggest the rental market was different?

If you read my post you will see that I mentioned that the sick, old and children were outside the capitalist model. This is where social housing plays a part. But why should this accommodation be provided smack bang in the middle of the city. Everybody can commute to work, Dublin is not a big city by any stretch and you can get to work within an hour using public transport or even a bicycle.

If we actually had some constructive dialogue and engagement with both sides of the rental market we actually might come up with a better solution than that that current exists.

Yet again this goes back to the old approach of lets just tar all landlords as bad. Yes this landlord was wrong and should be held accountable for his actions. But remember over 70% of landlords out there own just one property, the local taxi driver, local plumber, local electrician who bought a property as a pension.

Have you ever asked yourself if being a landlord was easy money why are individual landlords leaving the market in their droves.

Have you ever considered exactly who is making the most out of this current housing crisis? its the State, not only are they making a killing on the income tax from the tenant but also from the landlord, the State does not have the responsibility for the tenant and even if the tenants stops paying rent it can take nearly a year to get the tenant out.

We are all responsible for the housing crisis in one shape or another. We have this bizarre notion that people should be housed where they want and at a price they want. How many people have not paid their rent, mortgages or council rent and been evicted?

Look at the high profile case of the Pamela Flood and her husband. Look at the rent arrears for council tenants.

Anyway getting back to the actual topic of the post. What this landlord did is wrong and he should suffer the consequences of his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Palmach wrote: »
    If two citizens agree a rent that is part or in whole the provision of sex for housing then the state should not interfere.

True. The state should recognise that the state of the rental market has gone so far out of whack, that it makes sex a genuine form of payment Instead of money.

It should recognise that it needs to increase the a stock of housing and then act in that need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tony EH wrote: »
    They'd all sing a very different song if it was their own kid.

I think they'd be disappointed to hear their own child had made the offer of sex for rent. Or if their child was in a position where they needed to trade sex for rent.

I can't Imagine them being so supportive if sex for rent on hearing their son has to leave Sunday dinner early because he has to go give his landlord a blowjob.

I really can't imagine them saying "OK son, God bless. Don't forget to play with his balls and keep eye contact".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And on that note- thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement