Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I hate so many TV programmes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

There is a lot of excellent TV out there but it's a chore at times to find it. The 'celebrity' and 'talent' shows hog the limelight but there are gems like University Challenge, Only Connect, Band of Brothers, various Wildlife documentaries, History, and decent dramas still to be had.

Edit: And, amongst some awful cross, there are great comedies to be had.
    Another type of programme that hos the TV waves is all the murder mysteries of one kind or another. No wonder there are so many killings now-a-days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Yahir Big Self-esteem

Another type of programme that hos the TV waves is all the murder mysteries of one kind or another. No wonder there are so many killings now-a-days.

Ah now, surely you're not blaming Jessica Fletcher for all the evils of the world?

tumblr_o0el8fc8Up1tgwr5xo1_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hate how anything with a bit of normal natural behaviour which appeals to people starts to change once it gets popular.

Take First Dates. Fine premise, people nervous yet optimistic when hoping to find love. But now, evry key couple seems to have something dramatic.

"I spent 5 years as a lesbian, but now I'm looking to date men because my ex broke my heart"
    "I have erectile dysfunction"
    "I've cheated on my last 3 girlfriends"
    "My partner of x number of years died 18 months ago and I thought I'd never love again"
    "Let's play the 'relate everything to being a vegan game'"

It's no longer endearing and insightful. It looks like everyone has been asked, 'what will you say that is interesting?' which makes me think people aren't looking for love, they're looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I really doubt they were ever 'looking for love' in those programmes. I never thought those dating programmes were 'entertainment'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Most of those reality TV shows (in all their incarnations), to me, are just a modern version of the old carnivals' freak shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I really doubt they were ever 'looking for love' in those programmes. I never thought those dating programmes were 'entertainment'.

Maybe not, I doubt they thought there was a realistic chance of it happening in such a scenario, but they seemed to be people who were in the act of looking for it and their dates seemed to reflect that.

That has evolved to 4th or 5th date type information now being disclosed before the starters have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For the last 10 months, since I moved to co Donegal, I have had neither a mobile phone signal nor internet and very limited TV; life is ever so quiet! However, I had internet by satellite installed last Saturday and now I don't even watch TV.

same here! Much better .. love youtube and the choices it gives. congratutulations!
    I am with a small local server after many years with satellite with digiweb, piggybacking an internet phone. Now I get unlimited broadband ie 24/7 if I wanted, for E35 a month and excellent service. I just could not imagine digiweb getting out here on the ferry and it is good to use local folk. Best server I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

PRO
    Didnt want to like Gogglebox .... The premise is terrible "watching people on tv who are watching tv" .... But its great!!

CON
    Too many ads !! And recently it was only 5 minutes into the program before first ad break (i rewound the Sky+ to check!)

PRO (or is it a CON?)
    Some of the ads are better than some of the programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Some woeful drivel on these days. On the bank holiday Sunday night, I happened to see a bit of this Wingman. Woeful drivel altogether. Hardly unique though: TV these days is littered with loads of this type of rubbish and the chatshows mainly have the presenters of these things on promoting them. I don't know what type of audience they are looking for but I have yet to hear anyone say 'oh great, Wingman is on' and the like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It seems that the Jeremy Kyle show is now feeling the cold light of reality.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »

I'm sorry to say that it was only a matter of time disaster struck that show. That show should never have been given the freedom to do what it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say that it was only a matter of time disaster struck that show. That show should never have been given the freedom to do what it did.

What I find annoying about all this now is that there was nothing said about it for 20 years, nothing until some guy killed himself over it.

Had that suicide not have happened, that show would have run for years to come.

It's a bit hypocritical for some to rubbish the show now, yet they said nothing for years.

Some of the people who were in the audience for the fateful show were interviewed on the radio over the last couple of days. They told us how the poor man cried when he failed the test, but only thing in my head was "why would you want to be in the audience for such a show?" not one of them was asked that. They were the sort of people feeding this nonsense and laughing at guests as they fought with each other, failed lie detector tests etc.

Sure remember the time everyone in the audience, and indeed the panel, laughed at Susan Boyle? Her crime? Not being traditionally pretty.

The only upside to all this is that hopefully TV producers will move away from reality TV shows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In fairness, lots of people have said for years that that programme was the pits. Aren't/weren't there many other programmes of tye same calibre in the US, too?

OldGoat wrote: »

I always thought that and similar shows were almost 100% staged. Apparently not. Good riddance to this stuff and it is time that cheap reality TV that 'entertains' people via preying on people's misfortunes is scrapped for good.

I've always hated that programme. I visit an elderly relative who watched this show 'religiously'. I couldn't understand why an otherwise intelligent woman would be interested in such rot. It was never allowed on in our house but I had to sit tortured while she had it on. It was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I always thought that and similar shows were almost 100% staged. Apparently not. Good riddance to this stuff and it is time that cheap reality TV that 'entertains' people via preying on people's misfortunes is scrapped for good.

It was staged by the fact that the "guests" were hand picked for a reason - that they were liable to be explosive in front of the camera, didn't mind having their dirty washing broadcast to the entire country and were able to "put on a show".

It was staged by the fact that the "guests" were hand picked for a reason - that they were liable to be explosive in front of the camera, didn't mind having their dirty washing broadcast to the entire country and were able to "put on a show".

... and fed copious amounts of free booze before shows too apparently to help fuel the madness.

The amount of people addicted to this show amazed me. It just shows anything will become popular once it finds an audience. I always thought it was faked but apparently it was real.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and fed copious amounts of free booze before shows too apparently to help fuel the madness.

And that explains why people went on it! We are only here for the beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

The ones that make me cringe the most are the programmes where they give people free stuff provided they screech, jump up and down in a manic fashion and hug anyone within reach. Do they have to practise before the show airs?
    Admittedly this only happens on U.S. shows. Presumably the Late Late audiences are tougher, or the give-aways less impressive.

Once I sat down for a cuppa and flicked from channel to channel and left it on 'Extreme Couponing' or some such drivel. The experienced 'Couponer' was to meet a newbie at a store to assist in the task of getting a shed load of food for nothing. They met outside the store......the 'conversation' went like this...

1st - I'm soooo excited to be doing this. I just can't wait. Soooo excited now.
    2nd - Hi there how are you? Are you excited to be doing this? I'm sooo excited.
    1st - Yeah, I'm sooo excited. Are you excited?
    2nd - Yeah, I'm just sooo excited.

So of they went, sooooo excited, and supposedly got a ton of crap for nothing!

I switched off at that point.

Give me strength!

• Advertisement

I had the misfortune the other night to see a bit of Britain's Got Talent on ITV.

I haven't seen these types of shows for maybe a decade or more, but I always assumed they would have singers, dance troupes etc. Basically people with some talent, and likely the best in the country.

1st act was a chubby little Indian child of 14, who was awful at dancing. I could have done better myself, but to my surprise the judges found him fantastic. Baffled I was.

Thankfully I had to go to my work and didn't see any more acts, but apparently next up was a man and a dog. Shame to miss that.

Cannot understand how these shows still have an audience. And they came complete with the screaming crowd.

Opportunity Knocked for Lennie Henry and heard recently also Su Pollard, Les Dawson, the Batchelors amongst others. However, Gerry Dorsey didn't make it on OK and morphed into Englebert Humperdinck. I never watched OK as we didn't have TV in the early days and then only RTE but I bet there were more than a few clangers on it as well. :D

Have to give a mention to this programme on next Tues-Fri I think on ITV. Set your recorders! I've seen a couple of this series but not the original 7 Up one. Sadly I don't have ITV, hope it comes to Virgin Media at some stage.

Well we just watched our recording of 63 Up. Omigosh, it made us really see how fast time flies and how short life truly is. It was quite a slap in the face. I mean, we know it, but having watched this series for so many years and now they are our age and on this programme one man is quite ill. Very upsetting.

Advertisement