Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Off Topic Thread...

1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have not made myself bolognese since I started my healthy life style. Today I just said "**** the police!" and made myself some... Problem is I made enough to feed 20 people :pac:
    Today was bolognese day, tomorrow will be bolognese day and there is a huge tube of bolognese in freezer for at least 3 more days lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have not made myself bolognese since I started my healthy life style. Today I just said "**** the police!" and made myself some... Problem is I made enough to feed 20 people :pac:
    Today was bolognese day, tomorrow will be bolognese day and there is a huge tube of bolognese in freezer for at least 3 more days lol.

Best way to do it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Bolognese is one of the foods that tastes better the next day. Also one of the few foods where I say the jarred stuff way better than homemade and just about as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bolognese is one of the foods that tastes better the next day. Also one of the few foods where I say the jarred stuff way better than homemade and just about as healthy.

I always get jars and add extra tin of chopped tomatoes, mushrooms and onions. Works great and very fast way of making it. Not fancy, I know, but I like it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I could eat spaghetti bolognese every day. Rice and Peas (a Jamaican dish) is another meal I absolutely love so much. It's so tasty and such a comfort food. It just makes you feel so happy inside!:P I definitely recommend people to try the dish.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So sat down to watch two documentaries tonight.

First one being Jamie Oliver Sugar Rush a brilliant documentary imo one in which he highlights the problems caused by excess sugar in our diet.

It showcased the hidden sugars in foods a lot of people are unaware of, showed young children having teeth pulled to a 13 year old with diabetes, also looked at the amount of amputations caused by diabetes which I was shocked to the extent of. It showed how sugar companies target young children through the eyes of a child and how in Mexico there trying to fight back with a tax on sugary drinks.

What i thought was really admirable was him taking initiative and adding a tax on sugary drinks in all his restaurants and trying to push other chains to do the same.

Second one was a BBC documentary called Eat Well for Less being the BBC I was expecting good things my god was I wrong.

It essentially showed you how to eat cheaper within five minutes I could feel my blood pressure rising when they had a nutrionalist on who work's for unilever praising the merits of margarine over real butter along with getting children to taste test chocolate whilst hiding the brands to try show how you can by cheaper chocolate and not know the difference.

It was the first and last episode of that serious I'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

So sat down to watch two documentaries tonight.

It essentially showed you how to eat cheaper within five minutes I could feel my blood pressure rising when they had a nutrionalist on who work's for unilever praising the merits of margarine over real butter along with getting children to taste test chocolate whilst hiding the brands to try show how you can by cheaper chocolate and not know the difference.

It was the first and last episode of that serious I'll be watching.

OH and I started watching this one and I demanded we turn over once the Marg. propaganda started. OH would have taken it at face value. So much potential :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

juke wrote: »
    OH and I started watching this one and I demanded we turn over once the Marg. propaganda started. OH would have taken it at face value. So much potential :(

I think that''s what irritated me so much the fact you just know so many people will sit down watch it and because it's on the BBC will buy into everything on that show. The other halfd mother thought it was brilliant I was close to ringing her and going through the problems with the show.

So much wasted potential expect better from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

rocky wrote: »
    Anyone trying vinegar with meals? 1 tbsp is supposed to have all kinds of benefits (lower blood sugar [not that I care about that :)], more useable energy etc), but I'm getting a localized pain in my left arm (tendon) after a few days of 3 tbsp/day. Is vinegar leeching minerals, and would I need to get some supplements, or any other explanation? Noone else reports this side effect.

I've a pretty nutritions diet (e.g. ox tail soup tonight, eggs etc) otherwise, and tried the vinegar a few times, and every time I get this side-effect...

I know this is going back a bit, but would anyone have further reading they could recommend on the above?

I can google it of course, but a lot of the websites that pop up don't look particularly reliable (and most are trying to sell me vinegar :rolleyes:)

keane2097 wrote: »
    I know this is going back a bit, but would anyone have further reading they could recommend on the above?

I can google it of course, but a lot of the websites that pop up don't look particularly reliable (and most are trying to sell me vinegar :rolleyes:)

Lot's o' studies on pubmed, basically better bloodsugar regulation, possible by combating pathogenic bacteria in the digestive tract.

In other news I've been taking l-lysine supplements. 1.5G a day for stress reduction - definitely works in that department but my appetite has gone out of control. I AM SO HUNGRY ALL THE TIME.

Why is there always a catch?

BTW excellent supp for someone on a bulk!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Lot's o' studies on pubmed, basically better bloodsugar regulation, possible by combating pathogenic bacteria in the digestive tract.

In other news I've been taking l-lysine supplements. 1.5G a day for stress reduction - definitely works in that department but my appetite has gone out of control. I AM SO HUNGRY ALL THE TIME.

Why is there always a catch?

BTW excellent supp for someone on a bulk!

have you tried theanine for stress/anxiety? doesn't affect my appetite at all

strelok wrote: »
    have you tried theanine for stress/anxiety? doesn't affect my appetite at all

Ya, it's more of an anxiety supp, I was looking for a cognitive boost. L-theanine makes me a little too relaxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Ya, it's more of an anxiety supp, I was looking for a cognitive boost. L-theanine makes me a little too relaxed.

yeah, it sure can do that :) . pairing it with coffee is pretty great but I do take it more on its own for the relaxation/anxiety side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Hi. Just got a nutri ninja and I was wondering if there is any website where you can input the ingredients you have at home and it gives you a recipe? Thanks

Here's a question for ye guys (That very possibly has been asked a million times before, but can't seem to find much by searching).

What's the dealio with retail stores selling food products that have no information with regards to nutritional value, calorie counts, etc. on the packaging?

I thought it was mandatory to have such information (hell, if a restaurant is expected to know how many calories are in a meal they haven't started to cook yet, then surely a producer of foods should know?)?

I was over in Centra earlier, starving (as per the norm), and it being a sunday, and me being lazy, figured I'd go for a ready meal. Found one, and here's the packaging from it:

http://s2.postimg.org/x6p5a9auh/DSC_0016.jpg

As you can see, it's fairly void of any information outside of ingredients (and even at that, there's no % breakdown of how much of each ingredient there is). There's a weight on the packaging, so I figured a quick google would bring up the info handy enough, but the company don't even have a website. Found a facebook page but it hasn't been used in ages.

I always thought it was a requirement to have such information there. Obviously not?

Just found it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Here's a question for ye guys (That very possibly has been asked a million times before, but can't seem to find much by searching).

What's the dealio with retail stores selling food products that have no information with regards to nutritional value, calorie counts, etc. on the packaging?

I thought it was mandatory to have such information (hell, if a restaurant is expected to know how many calories are in a meal they haven't started to cook yet, then surely a producer of foods should know?)?

I was over in Centra earlier, starving (as per the norm), and it being a sunday, and me being lazy, figured I'd go for a ready meal. Found one, and here's the packaging from it:

http://s2.postimg.org/x6p5a9auh/DSC_0016.jpg

As you can see, it's fairly void of any information outside of ingredients (and even at that, there's no % breakdown of how much of each ingredient there is). There's a weight on the packaging, so I figured a quick google would bring up the info handy enough, but the company don't even have a website. Found a facebook page but it hasn't been used in ages.

I always thought it was a requirement to have such information there. Obviously not?

Just found it odd.

Funny you should ask as I thought the very same about a centra meal I bought yesterday. Hopefully someone can help out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just wondering if people use and if so what vitamin supplements they use, I probably get 2 servings of fruit and then a serving of those mixed bag of vegetables carrots/broccoli/cauliflower a day but I'd like to get an all-in-one supplement

I've noticed the ones on my protein seem to have crazy high content like 400% of certain vitamins, anybody use these?

Just wondering if people use and if so what vitamin supplements they use, I probably get 2 servings of fruit and then a serving of those mixed bag of vegetables carrots/broccoli/cauliflower a day but I'd like to get an all-in-one supplement

I've noticed the ones on my protein seem to have crazy high content like 400% of certain vitamins, anybody use these?

I'd only use fish oil, vitamin D and maybe B.

But in general, there are 2 points to note. The first is that the RDAs aren't necessarily recommended intakes. In Ireland a lot of them are at the lower end of the scale and minimum amounts that you should be hitting, afaik.

It also depends on the vitamins. Fat soluble vitamins will be stored in the body and accumulate whereas an excess of water soluble vitamins will just be excreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd only use fish oil, vitamin D and maybe B.

But in general, there are 2 points to note. The first is that the RDAs aren't necessarily recommended intakes. In Ireland a lot of them are at the lower end of the scale and minimum amounts that you should be hitting, afaik.

It also depends on the vitamins. Fat soluble vitamins will be stored in the body and accumulate whereas an excess of water soluble vitamins will just be excreted.

20 plus delivery for a 4 month supply of these I think, not sure what I should be looking for

image1.png_zpsxppgr5y7.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RDA's are minimum targets, not optimum amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fish oil, B, D and magnesium here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Is getting your girlfriend a gym membership for her birthday a bad idea?

She doesn't go to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Luap wrote: »
    Is getting your girlfriend a gym membership for her birthday a bad idea?
    :eek:
    Unless she asked for a gym membership likely to go south.

Has anyone seen that vitamin water in re store. I'm curious about it as it's extremely low in super but with a lemon/lime flavour. I'm surprised it's pretty nutritional good though I didn't get a good look at it saw it today. I suppose it might have artificial colours or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has anyone seen that vitamin water in re store. I'm curious about it as it's extremely low in super but with a lemon/lime flavour. I'm surprised it's pretty nutritional good though I didn't get a good look at it saw it today. I suppose it might have artificial colours or that.

Or you could just drink water

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Some people like some sort of non-water flavour to water to be fair. Bit of flavour helps if it isn't sugar laden

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I pretty much drink water. Other than that tea. I can't remember the last time I actually had a fizzy drink. I just thought it was interesting, as I was surprised that it's nutrition breakdown was quite good. I'm not advocating drinking it over water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Said I'd got to the OT thread for this one because I don't think it warrants its own thread. Has anybody here experienced an upset stomach from whey protein - gotten a bit of a headache from it?

Google is telling me it could be the lactose and breaking it down is affecting my stomach so perhaps a hydro whey is the answer but wondering if anybody has any advice from similar experiences?

FWIW I've a weak stomach when it comes to alcohol/hangovers but never had an issue with milk/lactose in how I usually consume it so find the protein causing it a bit odd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

D'Agger wrote: »
    Said I'd got to the OT thread for this one because I don't think it warrants its own thread. Has anybody here experienced an upset stomach from whey protein - gotten a bit of a headache from it?

Google is telling me it could be the lactose and breaking it down is affecting my stomach so perhaps a hydro whey is the answer but wondering if anybody has any advice from similar experiences?

FWIW I've a weak stomach when it comes to alcohol/hangovers but never had an issue with milk/lactose in how I usually consume it so find the protein causing it a bit odd.

Digestive difficulties with whey protein is not uncommon, no. It's purely anecdotal but a friend who had a supplement store said a lot of customers reported issues with MyProtein in particular, the more budget offerings. His answer was indeed for people to buy more premium products (Which would admittedly seem to be in his business interests). As I said, purely anecdotal. I suspect a factor is the way people chug protein shakes down also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You wouldn't say that if you tried mine :D

I take it you mean Bolognese tomato sauce, which is just basally tomato sauce that you can use for anything. My version of home made Bolognese would have more ingredients that basic tomato sauce.

I find the quality of jared tomato sauce though to be much better than it used it be. The own brands ones are totally fine now but years ago they were pure muck.

I make Bolognese sauce with passatta and tomato pure (not tinned chopped tomato), with lots of garlic, various herbs and a tiny pinch of cinnamon. Mind you I've gone off beef mince so don't really make it any more. Does't really cost much more than a bought jar if at all.

Speaking of tinned tomatoes, I discovers the most delicious and easy to make tomato soup recipe that I have regularly now. You couldn't find an easier soup to make. You just take 2 large white onions, chop then in quarters (no need to dice), saute them in a good and I mean good amount of butter for a few minutes, then throw in 2 cans of whole plumb tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes. Absolutely nothing else just whatever amount of salt/pepper you like. Then blend it up. It's just like tinned tomato soup. Utterly delicious.

edit: this is it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_lZ49spG5A

Advertisement