Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewal of provisional licence

• 20-03-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

My licence expires soon but I really need it for driving to work etc (I never checked the expiration date until today)...quick question:

How long does it take to renew a 1st provisional licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nordwind wrote: »
    I really need it for driving to work etc
    Your Provisional Licence is issued to allow you to utilise public roads to learn to drive and gain experience. It is not issued to allow you to get to work!
    Nordwind wrote:
    How long does it take to renew a 1st provisional licence?
    It differs between MTO's. Allow at least one week.

(PS - driving on a lapsed licence is a very minor offence - driving unaccompanied is a much more serious offence!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

Ha, are you serious? I've been driving alone ever since I got my licence as, like I said, I need it to get to work. It would be quite silly to drive alone with an expired licence though so I don't think I'll risk that!

Ha, are you serious?
    When you applied for your Provisional Licence, you were obliged to sign a declaration (section 28) that you have a satisfactory knowledge of the rules of the road!

EDIT: BTW - you won't be renewing your 1st Provisional. You'll be issued with a 2nd Learner Permit.

Is that a bad thing that it's going to be a 2nd learner permit? How will it affect my application for my driving test (I applied a couple of months ago)?

Is that a bad thing that it's going to be a 2nd learner permit? How will it affect my application for my driving test (I applied a couple of months ago)?
    You will be legally able to drive unaccompanied on a 2nd Learner Permit until the 30th June next.

It won't affect your driving test application.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Wishbone, much appreciated.

Sorry to up this, what's the best way to apply for this? I live an hour away from the MTO so going there will be difficult. Can I apply at the local Garda station? Is there a fee I have to pay? Do I have to supply more passport photos?

Thanks.

Sorry to up this, what's the best way to apply for this? I live an hour away from the MTO so going there will be difficult. Can I apply at the local Garda station? Is there a fee I have to pay? Do I have to supply more passport photos?

Thanks.
    You can apply via post.

Get a D201 form at your local Garda Station. Fill it and send it off with your current licence, two pics signed on rear and the fee.

(If possible, photocopy your current icence before sending it off. It makes things a bit handier at Garda checkpoints).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

You can apply via post.

Get a D201 form at your local Garda Station. Fill it and send it off with your current licence, two pics signed on rear and the fee.

(If possible, photocopy your current icence before sending it off. It makes things a bit handier at Garda checkpoints).

What happens if your licence expires after you have posted it and before you have received your new licence?

I'm thinking of a situation where you have a photocopy of your licence that shows it's valid to March 25th say, and you have sent off your licence for renewal on or before the expiry date... Can you continue driving beyond March 25th (using your expired photocopy) on the basis that you have applied for the renewal in time and the license will presumably be valid from the day it is processed rather than the day you receive it?

Advertisement