Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Live Mail Ireland POP Server working

• 11-03-2009 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

When Microsoft announced that they will be rolling out the Windows Live POP servers in various countries, I decided to set my iPhone up with the settings but didn't get any mail because Microsoft didn't activate Ireland yet but to my delight today at around 5pm I got mail woo!! :D

Settings for iPhone:

Incomming Mail Server:
    Hostname: pop3.live.com
    Username: whatever@live.com
    Password: yourpasswordhere
    Use SSL: Yes
    Authentication: Password
    Server Port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server:
    SMTP: smtp.live.com

Also these settings will work in any mail client eg. Thunderbird & Outlook etc.

Let me know if these work or is it just my luck ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

does imap work?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Im not having any joy on my n95 8gb just yet - will keep playing around with it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Up and running on my N95 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finally :D
    Thanks for the heads up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

SMTP settings as per the initial post don't seems to work. Anyone any idea why I can't send mail? Incoming mails ware received without issue. Using Outlook Express. Ay help with be appreciated.

Am using mobile broadband to access mail. That is hardly an issue, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

paul.irl wrote: »
    SMTP settings as per the initial post don't seems to work. Anyone any idea why I can't send mail? Incoming mails ware received without issue. Using Outlook Express. Ay help with be appreciated.

Am using mobile broadband to access mail. That is hardly an issue, right?

Generally you need to use your ISP's outgoing (SMTP) mail server, e.g. Eircom = mail1.eircom.net, to send mail. This also applies when you're using a mobile operator as your ISP such as O2, 3 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I ahve just got a Meteor broadband to go and put the outgoing mail server to "mail.mymeteor.ie" or "mail1.mymeteor.ie" but neither seem to work with Outlook Express. i can receive mail ( mail server "mail2.eircom.net") but can't send. Does anyone have any ideas how I can send mail via my Eircom email using outlook express and Meteor broadband to go ?

• Advertisement

jawlie wrote: »
    I ahve just got a Meteor broadband to go and put the outgoing mail server to "mail.mymeteor.ie" or "mail1.mymeteor.ie" but neither seem to work with Outlook Express. i can receive mail ( mail server "mail2.eircom.net") but can't send. Does anyone have any ideas how I can send mail via my Eircom email using outlook express and Meteor broadband to go ?

Unfortunately Meteor's mail service is crippled, as they have an outdated email setup. If mail.mymeteor.ie does not work for you, you could try Eircom's SMTP server, "mail1.eircom.net". If this still doesn't work, try contacting Meteor's broadband support team on 1800 333 085 to see if they have a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm a bit of a thicko. I currently have a Nokia 5800 and use nokia mail if I wished to check my hotmail on the mobile. I get nokia mail to scan for new mails and receive the headers and then chose to read the mails on the phone or not.

What is the benefit of this new POP forwarding? Is it so I can chose to use other mail clients to receive the mails? (And, if so, any recommendations as the Nokia Mail is a bit pants)

I mean, can I receive alerts on mails etc?

(I'm with Meteor Billpay BTW)

Cheers for the info folks and thanks for the headsup OP (My own header came off a bit abrupt)

I'm a bit of a thicko. I currently have a Nokia 5800 and use nokia mail if I wished to check my hotmail on the mobile. I get nokia mail to scan for new mails and receive the headers and then chose to read the mails on the phone or not.

What is the benefit of this new POP forwarding? Is it so I can chose to use other mail clients to receive the mails? (And, if so, any recommendations as the Nokia Mail is a bit pants)

I mean, can I receive alerts on mails etc?

(I'm with Meteor Billpay BTW)

Cheers for the info folks and thanks for the headsup OP (My own header came off a bit abrupt)

The benefit of Microsoft allowing POP access to Windows Live Hotmail users for free is because previously you had to have a premium, i.e. paid for, Windows Live Hotmail account. Now you can setup the email client on your handset, Outlook or any other email client manually, with the settings in the first post, and access your emails without having to pay a thing.

Nokia mail allows the setup of Windows Live Hotmail accounts within the application, as far as i'm aware, since Microsoft allowed free POP access to those accounts. If Microsoft did not allow free POP access, then I imagine Nokia mail would require users to have a Windows Live Hotmail premium account in order to set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Got it set up on my nokia 5800. Will be very handy. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The benefit of Microsoft allowing POP access to Windows Live Hotmail users for free is because previously you had to have a premium, i.e. paid for, Windows Live Hotmail account. Now you can setup the email client on your handset, Outlook or any other email client manually, with the settings in the first post, and access your emails without having to pay a thing.

Nokia mail allows the setup of Windows Live Hotmail accounts within the application, as far as i'm aware, since Microsoft allowed free POP access to those accounts. If Microsoft did not allow free POP access, then I imagine Nokia mail would require users to have a Windows Live Hotmail premium account in order to set it up.

Cheers for the info. If I recall corectly, when setting up my nokia mail on the phone it did mention that it was only a trial and that they may charge for it in the future so this should help. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im having problems sending via my hotmail/windows live, but all mail coming in ok. Im using windows mobile 6.5. (Windows live thats on it will not work with wifi only fones data connection)

snaps wrote: »
    Im having problems sending via my hotmail/windows live, but all mail coming in ok. Im using windows mobile 6.5. (Windows live thats on it will not work with wifi only fones data connection)

Did you set the outgoing (SMTP) mail server to that of your mobile provider, e.g. O2 = smtp.o2.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spud_Monkeyy

Hey guys.
    Looking for a bit of guidance on setting this up on the HTC Sense mail client.
    The STMP server stmp.live.com doesn't seem to respond.
    Also tried my ISP's settings and got nothing.
    Incoming server settings fly through, had no problems with them.

Help!?

Advertisement