Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do we have such stupid names

Options
  • 13-12-2018 3:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

Ireland = Garda
    99% of the rest of the world = Police/Polizei/Polis etc

Ireland = taoiseach
    Rest of the world = prime minister

Oh look at us we are so cultured, we have Irish names for our positions even though barely anyone speaks Irish in Ireland. What a joke this is. Everyone should be speaking Irish just like people speak French in France and German in Germany, you don't go to France and expect everyone to speak English. If you care so much about Irish language then why everything is not changed to Irish only. For start: government texts, constitution, laws, etc.

Comments

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Ireland = Garda

Ireland = taoiseach

Oh look at us we are so cultured, we have Irish names for our positions even though barely anyone speaks Irish in Ireland. What a joke this is. Everyone should be speaking Irish just like people speak French in France and German in Germany, you don't go to France and expect everyone to speak English. If you care so much about Irish language then why everything is not changed to Irish only. For start: government texts, constitution, laws, etc.

Your argument is so flawed I'm not even going to bother. Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fück the Irish…

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think a bigger question should be;

'Why are people with such stupid opinions given access to the internet?'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ireland = Garda

Ireland = taoiseach

I think you're right.....
    We have stupid names....

....Pretzeluck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

o1s1n wrote: »

Exactly

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think you're right.....
    We have stupid names....

....Pretzeluck

You're telling me something I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Exactly

If you want to help this along, give your ISP a call and ask them to cancel your contract.

Your argument is so flawed I'm not even going to bother. Lighten up.

Don't, I changed my citizenship to British one. Proud British now, we ruled half of the world at one point. And Ireland? Dying of famine from eating too many potatoes

If you want to help this along, give your ISP a call and ask them to cancel your contract.

You help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Certainly grounds to havd the contract cancelled...Entered into when not of sound mind

• Advertisement

Certainly grounds to havd the contract cancelled...Entered into when not of sound mind

I need all the steps pls. I was wondering if you would be able to come to me and do this, I'll pay my disability grant for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Because An Garda Síochána means 'Guardian of the Peace'

I need all the steps pls. I was wondering if you would be able to come to me and do this, I'll pay my disability grant for this.

Just call them and tell them you're nuts.
    Show them this thread.
    You'll be out of that contract before tea

Oh, the little cutey Irish are upset and trying to fight me or insult me to death. I'll fight you all boyz, just drop a pm. 5 vs 1, no problem, I ain't a puzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Dying of famine from eating too many potatoes

Ah yes, the medical condition known as 'famine'. Caused be consumption of too much carbohydrate.

Just call them and tell them youre nuts.
    Show them this thread.
    You'll be out of that contract before tea

Don't know how to enter numbers into the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I love these threads. I find adding their originators to my ignore list has made the board considerably less insane.

mordeith wrote: »
    Ah yes, the medical condition known as 'famine'. Caused be consumption of too much carbohydrate.

Only ate potato, when potato die, millions die because only food is potato. Oh no our potatoz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Ignoring the disappointingly obvious stink of troll off the OP:

I really like the name Gardaí Síochana. I appreciate the idea that the organisation is entrusted with guarding the peace, not policing the population.

It's a noble sentiment that they are there to protect us and serve society, and not there as a means of controlling the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Troll alert.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Ignoring the disappointingly obvious stink of troll off the OP:

I really like the name Gardaí Síochana. I appreciate the idea that the organisation is entrusted with guarding the peace, not policing the population.

It's a noble sentiment that they are there to protect us and serve society, and not there as a means of controlling the same.

Nice way of looking at it all right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Only ate potato, when potato die, millions die because only food is potato. Oh no our potatoz

Potato black in ground, what what, evil spirits assumed we, no English poison. Watch out for coffin ship now, name be apt.

This is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...The National Police Force is called the Guardia Civil.

They also have Spanish names for their Leaders and Parliament so not every country calls their law keepers Police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ireland = Garda

Ireland = taoiseach

This is a fine and well thought out argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

To be fair they grew other food. It was exported though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The avocados are rotting in de fields Michilin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Where do you even start with this ****e?

troyzer wrote: »
    Where do you even start with this ****e?

By sticking your mouth in it and performing a ****e bj manoeuvr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

mikhail wrote: »
    I love these threads. I find adding their originators to my ignore list has made the board considerably less insane.

That's a great idea. Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cripplefight

Ireland = Garda

Ireland = taoiseach

GET OUT YOU SCUMMY WESTBRIT!

Advertisement