Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a weekly commiter Irish rail ticket

• 01-12-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I may have to buy a 5 day return commuter ticket from Kilkenny to Dublin (preferable to driving) for work thing. I see IR have the fares listed online (143.50 apparently, is this correct?).
    How do I buy one? Is there a 5 or 7 day option?

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

7 days valid Sunday to the next Saturday, no other options

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

7 days valid Sunday to the next Saturday, no other options

Thanks. Where do I buy one? Can only see standard type tickets online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

road_high wrote: »
    Thanks. Where do I buy one? Can only see standard type tickets online.

Must be bought at the station

Actually works out cheaper buying daily online for the week than buying a ticket for the week. More IR business logic for ya.
    What's the best way from Heuston to UCD? I am assuming 145 Dub Bus? Can I buy a weekly ticket with them rather than fiddling with change? I may get a Leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yep 145 is your best bet - 40-50 mins depending on time of day I would say and definitely get a leap card - cheaper and handier with automatic capping

• Advertisement

Yep 145 is your best bet - 40-50 mins depending on time of day I would say and definitely get a leap card - cheaper and handier with automatic capping

Thanks. Do Dublin Bus still do 3 day rambler tickets at all? Can I buy one in Heuston? I might get that instead, no real odds as work paying.

Or would I be better buy a Leap Card (assume I can get in Eason's Heuston station) and put 30 euro credit on and use from there?
    I've never used one, how does it work? Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rambler tickets are only available on leap now. But youll need to review how much the fares will cost before getting one. While it can be cheaper than the fare cap, are you going to hit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If its going to be using the train as a long term thing have you considered a taxsaver ticket provided your employer offer the service for €4,960.00.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If its going to be using the train as a long term thing have you considered a taxsaver ticket provided your employer offer the service for €4,960.00.

Thanks, but only short term thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Or would I be better buy a Leap Card (assume I can get in Eason's Heuston station) and put 30 euro credit on and use from there?
    I've never used one, how does it work? Cheers

Leap is your best bet. You can get the card in the ticket machines in Heuston. Pop credit on it using either the machine in the station or app on your phone if you have an android.

Then you just tap it on the validator on the right hand side as your walking into the bus. This deducts the mac fare for the route your on. If going shorter than that, use the drivers ticket machine.

If you are using multiple busses throughout the day your fare will automatically be capped at 7eur (or 10eur if you use it on the Luas, DART or train as well). If you use two modes within 90mins of each other, you get a 1eur discount on the second trip.

G_R wrote: »
    Leap is your best bet. You can get the card in the ticket machines in Heuston. Pop credit on it using either the machine in the station or app on your phone if you have an android.

Then you just tap it on the validator on the right hand side as your walking into the bus. This deducts the mac fare for the route your on. If going shorter than that, use the drivers ticket machine.

If you are using multiple busses throughout the day your fare will automatically be capped at 7eur (or 10eur if you use it on the Luas, DART or train as well). If you use two modes within 90mins of each other, you get a 1eur discount on the second trip.

Thanks very much. And when getting off the bus, do you tap it again I assume?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Thanks very much. And when getting off the bus, do you tap it again I assume?

No - bus is tag on only.

devnull wrote: »
    No - bus is tag on only.

How does that work? How does it work out the fare to deduct?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

How does that work? How does it work out the fare to deduct?!

It doesn't - For journeys 13 stages or less you need to tell the driver your destination and then hold your Leap Card to the validator on the driver’s ticket machine. The correct fare will be deducted for your journey.

For journeys over 13 stages / Airlink / Nitelink you use the Validator on the right hand side as you enter the bus. The appropriate fare will then be deducted from your credit.

Click here for the Dublin Bus fare calculator to work out the number of stages for your journey.

devnull wrote: »
    It doesn't - For journeys 13 stages or less you need to tell the driver your destination and then hold your Leap Card to the validator on the driver’s ticket machine. The correct fare will be deducted for your journey.

For journeys over 13 stages / Airlink / Nitelink you use the Validator on the right hand side as you enter the bus. The appropriate fare will then be deducted from your credit.

Click here for the Dublin Bus fare calculator to work out the number of stages for your journey.

Oh great thanks. I'll be option B I think, pretty sure Heuston to UCD is over 13 stages!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Actually works out cheaper buying daily online for the week than buying a ticket for the week. More IR business logic for ya.
    What's the best way from Heuston to UCD? I am assuming 145 Dub Bus? Can I buy a weekly ticket with them rather than fiddling with change? I may get a Leap card.

The seven day ticket doesn't limit you to any specific train at any specific time unlike an online booking. Just walk on and board the train as you please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Oh great thanks. I'll be option B I think, pretty sure Heuston to UCD is over 13 stages!

Googled this for you. It's exactly 13 stages to the UCD stop on the stillorgan road, so the fare is 2.15 which you get from the driver. The machine on the side will charge you 2.80.

Just say UCD or even 2.15 to the driver and you'll get the right ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

G_R wrote: »

Just say UCD or even 2.15 to the driver and you'll get the right ticket

Place your leapcard on the green validator while talking to the driver

Advertisement