Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LMD Sync ideas?

Options
  • 28-10-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Thought I'd split this out of the other thread!

So I got a new BNC cable in the post yesterday and it works, we have RGB on the PVM now so cable is all good.

As The Last Bandit rightly pointed out, the PS2 syncs over green with DVDs. I played a DVD and a nice solid picture magically appeared on the LMD over RGB. (with a tint of green! - changed the input channel option from RGB to component and the colours improved a bit)

So now, the big question, would it be possible to do a bit of cable editing and send regular sync through the green in line for other consoles?

Or is it doomed to only sync with items that already sync on green?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Was the piece on http://retrorgb.com/extronrxi.html *might* be of use - seems the Extron RGB 201/203 Rxi could work? ...or does it do the sync change the other way? Confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PS2 success!

Completely forgot you can change the PS2 to output component rather than RGB in the menu. Switched it over and got a picture on the component/RGB line - green was really feint though.

Removed the composite sync cable from the monitor and low and behold, the component signal came across in full colour. Looks gorgeous!

Master of the Universe

As a self confessed CRT purist wanker (!) I have to say, the component image on this from a PS2 is really, really nice.

The colours pop and are super bright. Everything is really sharp. Viewing angle is crazy wide too.

lmd1.jpg

lmd2.jpg

Best thing about it so far is the response time. Specs say it's 2ms, and I well believe it. Cannot notice any lag at all.

I'd say the Dreamcast would look gorgeous on it if I could find some sort of VGA to component adapter. Rather annoyingly, the 2020 model, as well as having RGB sync, also has a VGA input too! :mad:

Master of the Universe

Obligatory vertical shot :pac:

IMG_20171030_125942310_HDR.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd say the Dreamcast would look gorgeous on it if I could find some sort of VGA to component adapter. Rather annoyingly, the 2020 model, as well as having RGB sync, also has a VGA input too! :mad:

I don't think the 2020 model has VGA, it has an 'Option' input whatever that is :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I don't think the 2020 model has VGA, it has an 'Option' input whatever that is :)

Ah I'd say 'option' is a VGA port alright, it's a D-SUB 9 connection that carries SDI video and the monitor's native resolution is 640 X 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Silly Sony and their RGB SOG fetish... well them and SGI/SUN..

Its not too difficult to built a converter for this I think. Basically you need to clean the CSYNC coming out of the consoles and then inject the cleaned CSYNC into the Green video signal.

Well the theory is simple anyway :)

What input and output connectors would this converter need ? SCART female to BNC ?

Master of the Universe

Silly Sony and their RGB SOG fetish... well them and SGI/SUN..

Its not too difficult to built a converter for this I think. Basically you need to clean the CSYNC coming out of the consoles and then inject the cleaned CSYNC into the Green video signal.

Well the theory is simple anyway :)

What input and output connectors would this converter need ? SCART female to BNC ?

Scart female to BNC would do it alright. Basically one of those scart to BNC breakout cables you get to run your consoles on a PVM - just with a converter in the middle somewhere to add sync on green :)

Master of the Universe

Is there much work in adding the converter? I actually have one of those cables that's currently broken (few of the cables need to be resoldered at the scart end)

• Advertisement

The sync splitter/cleaner is the most complicated part so if thats already in there is a matter of adding a few resistors and caps.
    You can send me the cable to hack on if you want.

Master of the Universe

The sync splitter/cleaner is the most complicated part so if thats already in there is a matter of adding a few resistors and caps.
    You can send me the cable to hack on if you want.

You're a gent! :) Will get that posted out to you.

Kerbdog - funny enough that's the cable that came with the PVM I bought from you aeons ago :D

You're a gent! :) Will get that posted out to you.

Kerbdog - funny enough that's the cable that came with the PVM I bought from you aeons ago :D

Oh, it worked fine when you got it from right? Don't think I had any issues with it

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Oh, it worked fine when you got it from right? Don't think I had any issues with it

Oh sorry I didn't mean you gave me a broken cable! Worked absolutely fine for a long time. I think I snapped a couple of wires accidentally during my last house move.

Oh sorry I didn't mean you gave me a broken cable! Worked absolutely fine for a long time. I think I snapped a couple of wires accidentally during my last house move.

Yay+boo at the same time so :)

O1s1n is just plain awkward :)

Master of the Universe

I'm not sure what I've damaged more, myself or my possessions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So you recommend this monitor then?

Master of the Universe

Really depends what you want to do with it! :)

PS2, Gamecube and original Xbox will all look great over component. So would the Wii. All works out of the box, so from my point of view it's worth it for that alone if you have the space to have a monitor dedicated to a specific gen. Especially with the low response time.

It doesn't have HDMI or VGA in, so you're stuck with the BNC cables. Might pose problems if you want to use something like a framemeister for older consoles. You could use an arcadeforge scart to scart SLG but it wouldn't produce results as nice as the more expensive scanline generators.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not sure what I've damaged more, myself or my possessions :pac:

Start a poll!

Edit: I just did!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057804338

• Advertisement

Started to tinker with the LMD today, using various input - waiting on the Extron RGB 202 RXI from the US so it can do the RGsB conversion for other RGB inputs, but its an interesting screen.

Inputs tested - S-Video, Composite and Component.

The PS2 doesn't (or didn't for me) output RGsB, but the inputs for both RGB and Component are the same on the LMD-2010, you just select Component in the LMD menu rather than RGB. PS2 looked great.

I used the S-Video input then from a C64, also looks great.

Composite (didn't capture any close up photos) was grand.

More photos.

Hopefully when the Extron arrives the monitor will take everything that can be thrown at a screen - RGB/Component/Composite/S-Video

Wahoo! Got RGB output consoles working with the Extron RGB 202 Rxi - it outputs the RGsB signal the LMD-2010 wants.
    440431.jpg
    Turned out the Extron I bought had DB9/9-pin input connectors instead of 'VGA' for the input RGB signal. Adapter found and just noticed today my SCART->RGB cable didn't have the sync-stripper but I had one luckily, so a quick soldering later and BAM! Need to see how it will work with the likes of a SNES, Genesis. Time to bring them back from work :)

So this displays;
    - SCART RGB via the Extron->monitor adapter
    - Composite direct into the monitor
    - S-Video

Advertisement