Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

crossing livestock on a regional road

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

Muckit wrote: »
    That is factually incorrect. Check your policy with your insurance provider.

Well if you think you're covered to have cattle on the road and to cause an accident then work away. My Policy does not, you need to check your provider and ask them how much extra it is to get that sort of cover

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well if you think you're covered to have cattle on the road and to cause an accident then work away. My Policy does not, you need to check your provider and ask them how much extra it is to get that sort of cover

I don't think it. I know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I don't think it. I know it.

Yes my policy covers cattle on foot ie on public roads
    Two of the neighbors cross cows along a busy road to milk them
    A farmer herding cattle is one of the few people legally entitled to stop traffic for that purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

We're fully covered to move livestock along the road and to cross the road. The cover extends to asking a person not employed by me to stand in a gap.

Insurance, it's all about the detail not the price.

I move cattle on the road very regularly and I've noticed that drivers are not as attentive or as courteous as in year gone by. I've had to jump out it the way of drivers while crossing cows, despite adequate signage, hi viz and a vehicle parked with beacon. I know block the road as a safety precaution.

We're fully covered to move livestock along the road and to cross the road. The cover extends to asking a person not employed by me to stand in a gap.

Insurance, it's all about the detail not the price.

I move cattle on the road very regularly and I've noticed that drivers are not as attentive or as courteous as in year gone by. I've had to jump out it the way of drivers while crossing cows, despite adequate signage, hi viz and a vehicle parked with beacon. I know block the road as a safety precaution.
    My point is You are fully covered if you follow every possible step to make it safe. But accidents don't happen on those occasions. It's when you are down a man or forgot to put up the signage but decide to "chance it anyway", then you are not covered. So basically you have no cover if you are at fault ie you are not in control of the cattle or situation.
    Don't believe the Gossip, ring the Insurance provider they will tell you the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭emaherx

My point is You are fully covered if you follow every possible step to make it safe. But accidents don't happen on those occasions. It's when you are down a man or forgot to put up the signage but decide to "chance it anyway", then you are not covered. So basically you have no cover if you are at fault ie you are not in control of the cattle or situation.
    Don't believe the Gossip, ring the Insurance provider they will tell you the same

What use is insurance if you are not covered if you are at fault? If you were not at fault you wouldn't require your insurance.

More to the point if you believe you are ever fully in control of cattle, that will be your biggest fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

emaherx wrote: »
    What use is insurance if you are not covered if you are at fault? If you were not at fault you wouldn't require your insurance.

More to the point if you believe you are ever fully in control of cattle, that will be your biggest fault.

Insurance won't cure the guilt either.
    Insurance covers carelessness, it doesn't excuse it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Pure gossip chat

Are you sure of that arrogance at its best.

wrangler wrote: »
    Insurance won't cure the guilt either.
    Insurance covers carelessness, it doesn't excuse it

Not for a second suggesting people should not be as safe as possible at all times, but the previous poster suggested that insurance doesn't pay out if your found to be at fault. (And it would be very carless to not have adequate cover regardless of how careful you are)

• Advertisement

Pure gossip chat

The accident they were going to a person died, its up to all of us to be carefull out there as a contractor I know all about it people only think of there selves take a chance that split second changes a lot.

emaherx wrote: »
    Not for a second suggesting people should not be as safe as possible at all times, but the previous poster suggested that insurance doesn't pay out if your found to be at fault. (And it would be very carless to not have adequate cover regardless of how careful you are)

If the fault is caused by your negligence then the Insurance will not cover you.
    Do you think you can move cattle along a public road not take due care and cause a crash then expect the man from FBD to come out and pat you on the back and tell you your grand we've got you covered??
    If you believe so then you must have that farm come to you soft as it'll be a case of easy come easy go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If the fault is caused by your negligence then the Insurance will not cover you.
    Do you think you can move cattle along a public road not take due care and cause a crash then expect the man from FBD to come out and pat you on the back and tell you your grand we've got you covered??
    If you believe so then you must have that farm come to you soft as it'll be a case of easy come easy go

If you have an accident in a car and you are at fault does your insurance not pay out?

All accidents can be defined as negligence, so insurance never pay out then?

Mod note.....

This type of post falls below the standard of what we expect here in F&F.
    A repeat of this old mullarky will result in a Mod action.
    An action with such force and vigor that it could knock the mighty balls off a bull.
    Thanks. GC

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Mod note.....

This type of post falls below the standard of what we expect here in F&F.
    A repeat of this old mullarky will result in a Mod action.
    An action with such force and vigor that it could knock the mighty balls off a bull.
    Thanks. GC

That sounds like a physical threat to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That sounds like fighting talk to me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:Now Peter, welcome to F&F, firstly. We tend not to card posts that would attract them elsewhere as we expect posters to here to display a level of maturity in their posting. The post was a playful rebuke to suggest that you consider putting some more thought into your posts before hitting the submit key. So, as it seems to have been missed by you, I'll lay it straight up to you.

Your post was below the standard we require on the forum. Please take more care when posting as we expect posters to be responsible for what they post here.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

Mod note:Now Peter, welcome to F&F, firstly. We tend not to card posts that would attract them elsewhere as we expect posters to here to display a level of maturity in their posting. The post was a playful rebuke to suggest that you consider putting some more thought into your posts before hitting the submit key. So, as it seems to have been missed by you, I'll lay it straight up to you.

Your post was below the standard we require on the forum. Please take more care when posting as we expect posters to be responsible for what they post here.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

You should practice what you preach about maturity you reckoned it was a playful rebuke people looking at it would say different . If this is the way things are controlled I am closing my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

A bit late to this thread, but a word of advice to anyone who thinks signage and gates means that drivers will slow down - if you are approaching any toll booth in Ireland, there is miles and miles of warnings, from huge signage starting 20km out, all the way to the impossible to miss widening of the road before the very, very obvious toll booths. I was speaking to an engineer that works on the toll booths a while ago, and he told me that so many people accidently hit the barriers that they have to keep a large stock of them for replacements. He told me that one BMW-driving lady in Dublin hit the same barrier twice in one week. Now if lots of people can't slow down in time for a feckin tollbooth, that you could nearly see from space, you are being very optimistic if you think putting up a couple of signs will stop them hitting a gate across a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At least if you've decent signage, you could reasonably expect drivers to see them, you'd probably need four signs, and decent sight lines appropriate to the speed expected on the road..
    (if the signs could light up as you cross, like school crossing ones all the better)
    I don't know if you can block the road temporarily even with tape... But if you do make sure it's very visable, flashing lights ect, because if you follow cattle across to the close then in, a strip of white tape isn't going to be very noticeable at 100 kph... On a dull day.... While late for work/school.... And messing with phone/shouting at kids/applying make up....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement