Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

glasso wrote: »
    where did you order?

Geekbuying. They had a prelaunch sale about 6 weeks ago and I ordered it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

NATLOR wrote: »
    How was the duty so low should have been 23% plus handling fee
    No idea. I didnt ask them :)
    Maybe geekbuying put a low value on the customs form, I didnt look at it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Any camera reviews from anyone who has bought one? Is Spain amazon is stocking it, i assume co.UK might stock it

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

TheDriver wrote: »
    Any camera reviews from anyone who has bought one? Is Spain amazon is stocking it, i assume co.UK might stock it

Spanish amazon has the black one up for pre-order here, along with the two year warranty, sold and shipped by amazon so its legit! https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B076VLDF6P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&th=1

shipping to ireland is about 8 euro but this is a much better option then buying off one of the other sides imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Just purchased from the Spanish Amazon. €240.49 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Love the phone and the two-year guarantee with Amazon.es.

Any issues with the Spanish version with the Irish 3g and 4g frequencies.

All operators with physical buildouts in Ireland use both band 3 and band 20 in their LTE networks.

I can't see any technical details on the Amazon site.

Spain seems to use 4G 1800/2600Mhz but no band 20 800MhZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

There is only one version of the phone, which works with all Irish mobile providers

"There is only one version of the phone, which works with all Irish mobile providers"

Not sure about this statement GSMArena is showing 6 versions ("GLOBAL, INDIA, RUSSIA, VIETNAM, HONG KONG and INDONESIA).

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1-8776.php#global

Usual story, after some more digging around I found the Mi Spanish site has the bands and it includes the crucial B3 and B20.

http://www.mi.com/es/mi-a1/specs/

GSM B2, B3, B5, B8
    UMTS B1, B2, B5, B8
    FDD-LTE B1, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B20
    TDD-LTE B38, B40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi , just wondering if a different charger will be required for this phone?
    If so could someone please put up a link where i can purchase.

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote: »
    "There is only one version of the phone, which works with all Irish mobile providers"

Not sure about this statement GSMArena is showing 6 versions ("GLOBAL, INDIA, RUSSIA, VIETNAM, HONG KONG and INDONESIA).

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1-8776.php#global

If you click on the different countries there is no change in any of the specs, its exactly the same phone

Not so Natlor, you may have disabled some script which stopped the site showing the different bands:

Global LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)
    India LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 40(2300), 41(2500)
    Russia LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

There is a seller on ebay, based in dublin selling these phones 196 GBP about 222 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

onlyme! wrote: »
    There is a seller on ebay, based in dublin selling these phones 196 GBP about 222 euro

+ £15 postage

...from Singapore?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-64GB-4GB-Ram-Dual-Sim-Black-UK-SHIP/302508077965

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

+ £15 postage

...from Singapore?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-64GB-4GB-Ram-Dual-Sim-Black-UK-SHIP/302508077965
    free delivery and its either in dublin or uk

free delivery and its either in dublin or uk

Link?

it's the ebay link posted earlier.... safer I think to buy from amazon to get an actual warranty for 2 years imo as opposed to a "1 year seller warranty" (whatever that is - no legal basis and specifically says not a manufacturer warranty). worth the extra 15 to 20 euro.

it's the ebay link posted earlier....

Sorry, where? I can't find it.

Not sure I understand the logic of going with ebay on this phone.

Ebay cost is £195.90 (EUR 221.06) + £15.00 (EUR 16.93) = Eur 237.99

Amazon.se costs 240 euro delivered to Ireland.

Why would you buy a mobile from a ebayer who claims to be in Ireland but is actually in Singapore
    when you get it from Amazon with a two year guarantee for an extra two euros.

Very strange.

• Advertisement

Interesting article on why Xiaomi picked Spain to launch in Europe

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16610720/xiaomi-spain-mi-mix-2-launch-europe-android-business

"Xiaomi, which typically relies only on digital marketing and word of mouth, sees the “very friendly and also very active” fan base it already enjoys in Spain as a good reason to make the country its first European market. Its event today paid tribute to two of Xiaomi’s most active fans in Spain, who’ve been following and supporting the company for seven years."

That's the link I posted. :rolleyes: The seller is based in Singapore and delivery (7-13 days) is £15.

That's the link I posted. :rolleyes: The seller is based in Singapore and delivery (7-13 days) is £15.

The £15 delivery charge can be avoided by using PM/PW etc as its free delivery to UK

The £15 delivery charge can be avoided by using PM/PW etc as its free delivery to UK

They will reject it if it has customs charges attached.

They will reject it if it has customs charges attached.

There wont be any the item is dispatched either from Dublin or Manchester. Its down the end of the page that you linked

There wont be any the item is dispatched either from Dublin or Manchester. Its down the end of the page that you linked

Ah, OK, I missed that bit. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Spanish amazon has the black one up for pre-order here, along with the two year warranty, sold and shipped by amazon so its legit! https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B076VLDF6P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&th=1

shipping to ireland is about 8 euro but this is a much better option then buying off one of the other sides imo

Saying it's out of stock now? Was going to order later :(

Also says it's the Spanish version? I assume that's not an issue?

Saying it's out of stock now? Was going to order later :(

Also says it's the Spanish version? I assume that's not an issue?

not an issue. the only issue with versions is if it's the chinese version where you'll have chinese apps on it (which you may not be able to delete unless by rooting the phone) and you probably won't have the google apps like play store initially installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Got mine from honorbuy a few days before I heard of the Spanish launch. I am very happy with the mi a1.

Only issue is the slippy back. Any recommendations for a cover or case.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

gooner99 wrote: »
    Got mine from honorbuy a few days before I heard of the Spanish launch. I am very happy with the mi a1.

Only issue is the slippy back. Any recommendations for a cover or case.?

The case I got with mine from HK Goldway is not amazing. It's pretty ugly, has the clear plastic window on front, and the plastic on the edge of the case where the power button is has already cracked. Few nice looking cases on Amazon, but haven't tried any yet.

Advertisement