Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

i sold a good few of these maestros to a fella down in wicklow,he was converting them to diesel as apparently they have a golf gearbox

They didnt have a Golf gearbox but if I was to say that there were a lot of Golfs in the Longbridge prototype shop around that time you might follow the drift. We had the first GTI Golf in the UK at the time. It was a very early LHD car and was such an amazing experience to get behind the wheel of something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

just did a bit of googling and they had a vw gearbox for sure as did the montego,no secret just bought in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

just did a bit of googling and they had a vw gearbox for sure as did the montego,no secret just bought in

It was a licensed copy of the VW tranny, the casing was bought from the same factory and some of the internals were the same and it was to be assembled off site. I left in 1980 so never saw them on the assembly line. They also had a licence on the rear torsion beam for production. Some the early prototypes used one straight out of the VW parts bin along with the front bottom arms and struts. They wanted to make a car that handled like an Alfasud, was a comfy as a Citroen GS and built like a Golf. It didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Idnes

Hi Lads,

just wonder anyone know anything about that Skoda from sixties in Tipperary at Three Bridges motors?? Its sitting there for long time now. Looks like interesting machine,whats d parts suply and general knowledge of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

welder wrote: »
    Wish I'd seen that a few weeks ago to reshell my racing Maestro....before I sent it out for extensive welding and bodywork !

If you are looking for clean rust free maestro shells, look in the south of Spain. Some were reg'ed there as late as '01. And all in white. You see the odd one driving around still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

w124man wrote: »
    It didn't happen.
    Understatement of the year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It was a licensed copy of the VW tranny, the casing was bought from the same factory and some of the internals were the same and it was to be assembled off site. I left in 1980 so never saw them on the assembly line. They also had a licence on the rear torsion beam for production. Some the early prototypes used one straight out of the VW parts bin along with the front bottom arms and struts. They wanted to make a car that handled like an Alfasud, was a comfy as a Citroen GS and built like a Golf. It didn't happen.

Indeed it didn't, I only drove one once, and its a long time ago, but I'm fairly sure they achieved NONE of those aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

They didnt have a Golf gearbox but if I was to say that there were a lot of Golfs in the Longbridge prototype shop around that time you might follow the drift. We had the first GTI Golf in the UK at the time. It was a very early LHD car and was such an amazing experience to get behind the wheel of something like that.
    just wondering, do all manufacturers do this? buy their rivals models and take them apart to see what makes them tick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yep, reverse engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

hamburg wrote: »
    just wondering, do all manufacturers do this? buy their rivals models and take them apart to see what makes them tick?

Of the first 40 Lexus LS400's that were sold in Germany in 1989/90 12 disappeared straight away. A further 5 (or 6) racked up well over 250,000km in the first year.

They were more than likely purchased by BMW, Mercedes, Audi/VW then stripped down or tested over a year or two.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Yep, reverse engineering.

Austin rover were the best in the world at this.

Alas, it was with the 4 forward gears that they fell down. :rolleyes:

Red Kev wrote: »
    Of the first 40 Lexus LS400's that were sold in Germany in 1989/90 12 disappeared straight away. A further 5 (or 6) racked up well over 250,000km in the first year.

They were more than likely purchased by BMW, Mercedes, Audi/VW then stripped down or tested over a year or two.

You wonder why they would bother. The Lexus was well known to have been a reverse engineered merc at the time. What differed between them was the manufacturing technology used - how they were put together, and the quality checks during assembly. Europeans didnt cop onto this until the end of the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

You wonder why they would bother. The Lexus was well known to have been a reverse engineered merc at the time. What differed between them was the manufacturing technology used - how they were put together, and the quality checks during assembly. Europeans didnt cop onto this until the end of the 90's.

I recall reading an article in Car magazine (I think) in the late 1980s that Mercedes Benz bought four Lexus LS 400 cars when they were introduced and dismantled at least one of them. The magazine quoted a story that MB engineers were examining the bare steel frame of one of the Lexus front seats and pointed out disparagingly that the welds were not polished back as they were in Mercedes cars. One MB engineer had the courage to ask why MB polished hidden welds when it added no material benefit. I seem to recall that the same article claimed that a Lexus LS 400 took about five hundred manhours to manufacture, and the MB S Class took about eleven hundred man-hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Not many Hillman Hunters seem to be knocking around anymore.
    Heres one, 7 years younger than Tom seems to think: http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-hunter-dl/9409785?offset=10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

red sean wrote: »
    Not many Hillman Hunters seem to be knocking around anymore.
    Heres one, 7 years younger than Tom seems to think: http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-hunter-dl/9409785?offset=10

That would make for one brave resotration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I recall reading an article in Car magazine (I think) in the late 1980s that Mercedes Benz bought four Lexus LS 400 cars when they were introduced and dismantled at least one of them. The magazine quoted a story that MB engineers were examining the bare steel frame of one of the Lexus front seats and pointed out disparagingly that the welds were not polished back as they were in Mercedes cars. One MB engineer had the courage to ask why MB polished hidden welds when it added no material benefit. I seem to recall that the same article claimed that a Lexus LS 400 took about five hundred manhours to manufacture, and the MB S Class took about eleven hundred man-hours.

I wonder if that conversation had any connection to the perceived drop in build quality of the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

no ,but i'd like to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Price is strong enough for a late model with no test.

I had a 92 1.1 Campus a year or two ago, was a great car

• Registered Users Posts: 64,700 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ha, I suggested this car to someone looking for an older Renault on the for sale / wanted sticky last night at about the same time you started this thread :)

Hasn't been NCTd for a few years but I really like the looks of it. Great colour and very low mileage. If it needs little / no work the asking price isn't too bad imho. You're likely to get a few hundred off with haggling anyway. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think that this car used to belong to an uncle of mine 7/8 years ago who coincidently is named John, at that time he bought the car to put on the road and it needed nothing but for one reason or another he never did, if it is the same car it is very tidy but if the john who is selling it is the same john it hasn't been on the road for a while.

I suspect it hasn't been anywhere near a road in years and I also suspect that price is negotiable. I haven't annoyed the seller with a call yet. It's been up and down off donedeal for a while now but as it's the end of the school year and I'm flat out with leaving cert students and making exams I haven't the time to go and look at it. If it's still there in June then I'll pop round. Not having a trailer however is a proper pain in the neck as is having a tiny budget for the next car :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Not having a trailer however is a proper pain in the neck saving me from myself.

FTFY :pac::D

Don't do it! It's not as if it's a Monaco.:p

macplaxton wrote: »
    FTFY :pac::D

Don't do it! It's not as if it's a Monaco.:p
    I need saving from myself at times. I have empty sheds, no cars in them and a wedding in 12 months.

Seems these ads are getting *slightly* smarter about selling logbooks and donedeal aren't removing them when reported.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-beetle-back-end-with-brown-book/9448240?offset=10

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-mk2-1984/9446888?offset=26

She looks like a mint enough wee car but with no mention of Tax or Test this is a mad wee sentence is crazy "Priced to sell: 3385.00 or 2250 for 24 hours only"

CianDon wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-mk2-1984/9446888?offset=26

She looks like a mint enough wee car but with no mention of Tax or Test this is a mad wee sentence is crazy "Priced to sell: 3385.00 or 2250 for 24 hours only"

I don't know if they are worth €2250 yet but I'd say they are creeping that way. But I hate that messing about with the price. You'd have to deserve it to be fooled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Seems these ads are getting *slightly* smarter about selling logbooks and donedeal aren't removing them when reported.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-beetle-back-end-with-brown-book/9448240?offset=10
    its his logbook to do what he wants with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

oceanman wrote: »

Not that I really want to get into this because it's an issue that takes up way too much time in here and I couldn't give a šhite what he does with the log book but it's not his log book to do what he wants with, it's a legal document which belongs to the government that's supposed to be returned when the car is scrapped.

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    Not that I really want to get into this because it's an issue that takes up way too much time in here and I couldn't give a šhite what he does with the log book but it's not his log book to do what he wants with, it's a legal document which belongs to the government that's supposed to be returned when the car is scrapped.

:)

Advertisement