Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi A1

Options
  • 12-09-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys,
    Was wondering what your take was on this phone. Seems really good for the price. I know Xiaomi are good but the Android One and stock android make it all the more tempting. Could really do with an upgrade from my Moto G3 aswell as it's starting to act the pr***. Is this the best phone out there in this price range or does anybody know of anything better? Also would you consider it not "officialy" being available in Ireland to be a problem?
    Specs (gsmarena):
    Network Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE 2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) Speed HSPA, LTE GPRS Yes EDGE Yes Launch Announced 2017, September Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2017, September Body Dimensions 155.4 x 75.8 x 7.3 mm (6.12 x 2.98 x 0.29 in) Weight 165 g (5.82 oz) SIM Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) Display Type LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 5.5 inches (~70.1% screen-to-body ratio) Resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels (~403 ppi pixel density) Multitouch Yes Protection Corning Gorilla Glass (unspecified version) Platform OS Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), planned upgrade to Android 8.0 (Oreo) Chipset Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 CPU Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 GPU Adreno 506 Memory Card slot microSD, up to 128 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) Internal 64 GB, 4 GB RAM Camera Primary Dual 12 MP (26mm, f/2.2; 50mm, f/2.6), phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, dual-LED (dual tone) flash Features 1.25 µm/ 1.0 µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama Video 2160p@30fps, 720p@120fps Secondary 5 MP, 1080p Sound Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones Loudspeaker Yes 3.5mm jack Yes - Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic Comms WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot Bluetooth 4.2, A2DP, LE GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS Infrared port Yes Radio FM radio USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector Features Sensors Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM Browser HTML5 Java No - Fast battery charging
    - Xvid/MP4/H.265 player
    - MP3/WAV/eAAC+/FLAC player
    - Photo/video editor
    - Document viewer Battery Non-removable Li-Ion 3080 mAh battery Misc Colors Black, Gold, Rose Gold Price About 240 EUR
    Here's the link to it on Xiaomi's site:
    http://www.mi.com/in/mi-a1/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Looks a great phone.

The xiaomi 5x is exact same phone without stock Android and it's cheaper apparently you can install stock Android to it so might be worth getting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Thinking about this as an upgrade for my RedMi 3S Prime just for a change. Not sure I'd like the bigger screen though. I'm also wondering if Mi5 might be better as if love NFC back and not too concerned about bands living near Dublin. That said, I love the idea of going back to normal android... Anyone pre ordered?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks very good yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Looks a great phone.

The xiaomi 5x is exact same phone without stock Android and it's cheaper apparently you can install stock Android to it so might be worth getting that.

Its actually cheaper than the 5X now can be got on presale for €183 but its a 45 day wait!

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385504.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I might pick one up just to give the dual cameras a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

NATLOR wrote: »
    Its actually cheaper than the 5X now can be got on presale for €183 but its a 45 day wait!

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385504.html

HK stock means it's coming from Hong Kong? How likely are you to get stung by customs?

I'm thinking of getting this as an Xmas present for my OH, to replace her Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, which I imagine it will be a good upgrade from. But how does it compare to a Nexus 5x, which I have? Significant difference in the Chipsets/CPUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Looks very good indeed. I see it also supports 4g bands in Ireland which was previously an issue with some xiaomi models in the past.

All it seems to be missing is nfc and an FM radio. If neither of them are important to you it looks like a great purchase.

Stock android, camera reviews seem to be good also.

Forgot to mention that Honourbuy have available for pre order it with EU shipping so you should not get caught for customs that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

anybody end up ordering one of these from one of these websites? Had issues with gearbest etc in the past so hesitant to order from one! Looks like a great device though and can't find a different alternative to buy from :). Which site would you guys recommend? :)

anybody end up ordering one of these from one of these websites? Had issues with gearbest etc in the past so hesitant to order from one! Looks like a great device though and can't find a different alternative to buy from :). Which site would you guys recommend? :)

Haven't purchased the miA1 but i would recommend HK Goldway on Aliexpress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I have one and I ordered it from HK Goldway. Took about 8 days to get to me. No customs either if you pay for DHL Express delivery. Very happy with it so far, although it's only been a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Bought from Banggood, 206 euro + 4 euro parcel motel, 10 days with standard delivery and it was in my locker. No customs either, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

When did you order/receive it?
    I ordered two of them from Geekbuying (paid €184 each) about a month ago and it hasn't even shipped yet. The missus is getting more and more annoyed every day waiting as her current phones screen is broken and wrecking her head! :(
    Are you happy with it?

thanks for the replies guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Ordered mine on 21st Oct and it landed at my PM locker on the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

This is one of the phones I was thinking of.
    Are there any issues with app compatibility?
    Do banking apps, netflix and apps that have Android Widevine level 1 DRM work on it?

quinnd6 wrote: »
    This is one of the phones I was thinking of.
    Are there any issues with app compatibility?
    Do banking apps, netflix and apps that have Android Widevine level 1 DRM work on it?

No idea about the DRM stuff, but it's stock android maintained by Google. I have no problems with my online banking or any other apps I've tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Think I'm going to take the plunge and order one of these. Just have a few questions...

Is HK Goldway the best place to order it?

Can I pay with PayPal?

Should I order anything else with it? E.g. Screen protector, case.

I assume the battery is completely non-replaceable? I know my current phone wouldn't have lasted as long if I had not replaced the battery. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone watching the live launch of Spain store/operations? €229 they just confirmed for A1, dunno how much for shipping or if they ship

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

g0g wrote: »
    Anyone watching the live launch of Spain store/operations? €229 they just confirmed for A1, dunno how much for shipping or if they ship

Have a link?

Edit: https://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-brings-mi-a1-and-mi-mix-2-europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A feature worth mentioning is up to date security patches.

If you can forego NFC, get the Xiaomi A1 over the Moto G5S/G5S Plus. Update support for Moto phones is nonexistent. Security is still dated July 1, 2017, for the G5S handsets.

Lenovo forum feedback on eventual updates is apathetic at best.

any reports from owners on the actual camera performance?
    dual cameras mainly only for bokeh effects.
    how is low-light usage on this?

Amalgam wrote: »
    A feature worth mentioning is up to date security patches.

If you can forego NFC, get the Xiaomi A1 over the Moto G5S/G5S Plus. Update support for Moto phones is nonexistent. Security is still dated July 1, 2017, for the G5S handsets.

Lenovo forum feedback on eventual updates is apathetic at best.

https://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-review

Software updates

The only unknown when it comes to the software side of things is the update situation. Previous Android One devices have received updates directly from Google, but that will not be the case with the Mi A1. As the phone features a dual camera setup, Xiaomi has bundled its own Mi camera app instead of Google Camera. Xiaomi also pre-installed the Mi Remote app, which lets you use the IR blaster to control your TV, air con, or set-top box.

As a result of these additions, Xiaomi will be in charge of software updates for the Mi A1. The brand is committing to quick updates, and Google has stated that the phone will receive Oreo before the end of the year. Furthermore, the Mi A1 will be one of the first devices to pick up the Android P update next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

glasso wrote: »
    any reports from owners on the actual camera performance?
    dual cameras mainly only for bokeh effects.
    how is low-light usage on this?

From what I read, low light shots are poor.

Was waiting for them to launch in spain! Hopefully they will be able to ship to Ireland

glasso wrote: »
    https://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-review

Software updates

The only unknown when it comes to the software side of things is the update situation. Previous Android One devices have received updates directly from Google, but that will not be the case with the Mi A1. As the phone features a dual camera setup, Xiaomi has bundled its own Mi camera app instead of Google Camera. Xiaomi also pre-installed the Mi Remote app, which lets you use the IR blaster to control your TV, air con, or set-top box.

As a result of these additions, Xiaomi will be in charge of software updates for the Mi A1. The brand is committing to quick updates, and Google has stated that the phone will receive Oreo before the end of the year. Furthermore, the Mi A1 will be one of the first devices to pick up the Android P update next year.

Thats the first I've heard of that. I know Mi Remote can be uninstalled, as I've done it myself. I've already had two security updates and I've had the phone less then two weeks. That's more security updates then I ever received before with Samung and Motorola phones.

Thats the first I've heard of that. I know Mi Remote can be uninstalled, as I've done it myself. I've already had two security updates and I've had the phone less then two weeks. That's more security updates then I ever received before with Samung and Motorola phones.

maybe it's just in relation to major releases e.g. next android version as opposed to security patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Mine arrived today. €21.50 in duty so about €200 all in.
    Lovely phone, delighted with it :) Very slippery though and the case I ordered 6 weeks ago still hasnt arrived from China :(

davegilly wrote: »
    Lovely phone, delighted with it :) Very slippery though and the case I ordered 6 weeks ago still hasnt arrived from China :(

where did you order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

davegilly wrote: »

How was the duty so low should have been 23% plus handling fee

Advertisement