Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

8-10 wrote: »
    So was the 36 year old

The 36 yr old had good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gmisk wrote: »
    As other posters have said clearly there was a degree of the red mist.
    He is being punished as per the OP.

What would your reaction be if this was happening to you? Would you engage in a lively debate with the gang of teens smashing up your car like the judge insisted was the best action? Let us know how that goes

I wouldn't look to take revenge by hitting somebody in the back of the head with a weapon.

In isolation, what should the punishment be for these 2 crimes:

1. Vandalising a car and attempted assault
    2. Premeditated following somebody and fracturing their skull with a shot from behind

I'm not arguing that the sentence wasn't harsh. I'm not arguing that the 16 year old doesn't deserve punishment. I'm arguing that the punishment the 16 year old got is worse than what the 36 year old got when to me the proportion of crime was the opposite.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The 36 yr old had good reason

No he didn't. If the kid died, which given the injury was perfectly possible, would that have been justified? For vandalising a car?

This reminds me of the woman in Walmart in the States who pulled her gun and shot at a woman who had shoplifted.

It's a disproportionate reaction

Jonybgud wrote: »
    WTF is a hurl?

It's a hurley!

Bet you come from a Gaelic Football County.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I disagree, he has a life changing injury that will need care for the rest of his worthless life, it'll give his scumbag family something to do to care for him, it might focus their minds on how not to bring up children to go around wrecking cars and terrorising the neighbours

Haha!

Lets leave them to it, sardonicism can have an incendiary effect on a thread like this... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Bet you come from a Gaelic Football County.

No, I'm a true west brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

But scrote also tried to hit him with a plank. Only HE missed.

cursai wrote: »
    But scrote also tried to hit him with a plank. Only HE missed.

So what should his punishment be for that crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I had an experience with similar youths years ago. I was in my 30's.
    They picked on me, because I looked weak.
    Went on for years. The only thing they understand is having their head taken off their shoulders.
    Until one day, I randomly got a broken eye socket, waiting at the bus stop.
    Listen, the Gardai are useless. They said I must have provoked them. I got no justice.
    I rate Gardai on a par with refuse collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Went on for years. The only thing they understand is having their head taken off their shoulders.
    Until one day, I randomly got a broken eye socket, waiting at the bus stop.
    Listen, the Gardai are useless. They said I must have provoked them. I got no justice.
    I rate Gardai on a par with refuse collectors.

I'm no great fanboy of AGS, but I can tell you for a fact that a lot of Gardai will, on the QT, give you a nod of approval if you give the little vermin what they deserve.

A lot of Gardai are as fed up as you or I.

Hands tied by the legal industry, and by the speeding ticket industry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Sounds like a scrote assaulted a child and got his punishment. Not much wrong with that. 4 years is kind of lenient though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the old days, some 'patriotic' types in certain areas used to administer on request a few advisory clatters to these young buckos. Now it's all kid gloves and look where we are.

It should also be noted that...
    At Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Terence O’Sullivan said Curtis had been at his mother's house when an antisocial incident involving about 20 youths occurred outside.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-fractured-teenagers-skull-with-hurley-in-revenge-attack-has-sentence-increased-38585776.html

It must be very frustrating to see one's parents stressed or terrorised by these worthless pieces of teenage filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Went on for years...

I thought that story was going to end up in you doing a Charles Bronson on the little fúckers.

On a more serious note, i remember a young fella was killed by a bloke with a baseball bat in an incident similar to the Crumlin one.

Bloke got 20 years it seems.

https://www.thejournal.ie/naas-baseball-bat-murder-2662889-Mar2016/

I thought that story was going to end up in you doing a Charles Bronson on the little fúckers.

On a more serious note, i remember a young fella was killed by a bloke with a baseball bat in an incident similar to the Crumlin one.

Bloke got 20 years it seems.

https://www.thejournal.ie/naas-baseball-bat-murder-2662889-Mar2016/

Not even remotely similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He was on a hiding to nothing (if you pardon the pun) because he inflicted brain damage on that scrote. If he had hit him lower down on his body and not given him life changing injuries, he'd have been given something much lighter.

Unfortunately, there aren't many legal avenues open for dealing with scobies like these. That is an ongoing problem in this country. A guard having a word with these scummers and their parent(s) won't make one bit of difference. Nor will an appearance in court or a holiday in a detention centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

People shouldn't aggravate people into such a reaction and push them into a reaction where they feel violence is their only option. And get real, if you keep calling for help and no one helps you, you're left feeling threatened, alone and ultimately have to fend for yourself.

It is awful what has happened to the kid but I don't think the man can be completely blamed. He has a right to feel safe where he lives and if you are being terrorised and then have someone trying to smash you with a plank what do you expect? People to just roll over and take it?

No he didn't. If the kid died, which given the injury was perfectly possible, would that have been justified? For vandalising a car?

This reminds me of the woman in Walmart in the States who pulled her gun and shot at a woman who had shoplifted.

It's a disproportionate reaction

You mean 20 youths, who tried to hit him with a plank over the head? Outisde his mothers house on top of that?

Right, yeah, disproportionate. If that is not a threatening scary environment than what is.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    You mean 20 youths, who tried to hit him with a plank over the head? Outisde his mothers house on top of that?

Right, yeah, disproportionate. If that is not a threatening scary environment than what is.

Threatening and scary doesn't justify following a kid and smashing his head in

Would he have been justified in killing the 16 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Who said Dubliners couldn't swing a hurl?

Anyway, what happened? I was out walking the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Not even remotely similar.

It is remotely similar.

Man hears lads damaging his car.
    Man goes out with bat and whacks one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont really understand the sympathy for the kid. He went out of his way to destroy somebodys elses property,and not only that but tried to injure the same person after that. If the child had just acted like a normal member of society, and not gone around looking for trouble, then there would have been no issue, he wouldnt be badly injured and this man would also not be in jail, I doubt yer man is going around looking for scumbags to waste, the 'victim's' injuries are a direct result of his own wrong doings, he brought it all on himself and deserved every bit he got. play with fire and you get burnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The little bastard started a fight and he lost. Fuck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

Would you have considered his reaction to have been that of a normal thinking relaxed individual, or as some one who was pushed beyond his limit's, and reacted accordingly?
    Now if it was the case that he did not react there and then, but bided his time, and later stalked his tormentor, ambushed him, causing the same injurys...that would have been a horse of a different colour, INMHO. When he hit him, he was not a rational thinking human being.

jmreire wrote: »
    Would you have considered his reaction to have been that of a normal thinking relaxed individual, or as some one who was pushed beyond his limit's, and reacted accordingly?
    Now if it was the case that he did not react there and then, but bided his time, and later stalked his tormentor, ambushed him, causing the same injurys...that would have been a horse of a different colour, INMHO. When he hit him, he was not a rational thinking human being.

I think he was out for revenge when he decided to follow him. Probably had a 'teach this kid a lesson' mentality

A clip on the ear is what was needed. Bit of wood forceably hit into the back of the skull enough to break it? I'm amazed at the people who think that's justified

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

I think he was out for revenge when he decided to follow him. Probably had a 'teach this kid a lesson' mentality

A clip on the ear is what was needed. Bit of wood forceably hit into the back of the skull enough to break it? I'm amazed at the people who think that's justified

I never claimed it was justified....it was the reaction of an guy, who had been tormented beyond his limits. Sure it's easy to say that he should not have done it, or hit him some where else, but bear in mind that he did not wake up that morning with a plan to cause serious injury to anyone.

No it wouldn't have been justified, but no one knows what will happen when you take a swing at someone. People die on drunken nights out from one unintentionally perfectly placed punch.

He was scared and put in a situation where he felt threatened and lashed out. I mean if you push somone all the way into the back of a corner and they lash out what? How dare you and all that? he should have gone for his legs?

Really? after going for him with a plank. Do you not think he was thinking there are 20 lads around me right now and they are instigating violence, I need to react. There is no ONE reaction in a situation like that. Just a very scared person who like a lot people just "react" without thinking because fear and instinct takes over. Which in this case is a very justifiable reason.

It was just an unfortunate result but the action in of itself is understandable for the reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont think he had teach this scum a lesson attitude, more like kill if needed. People dont realize how slim line is when someones fcks with your property, grand he got 2 years jail time, and nice headline that if your not killed by some underage scum they are free to torment and terrorize people as by law this will only lead them to becoming fine citizens.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    No it wouldn't have been justified

Right. So this is the line I don't understand.

He's justified in fracturing his skull with a weapon because of the threatening situation...but he's not justified in killing him

Where is the line above fracturing his skull and below murder that the justification stops? What further could he have done on top of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The little bastard started a fight and he lost. Fuck him.

That's life.

Also some shi*e talk with comments in this thread.
    Ah poor boy? **** him. Sure truth be told your man with the Hurley is probably a scumbag himself. **** them both.

Advertisement