Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2020, Another tenner or is it twenty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Buying 2 cartons of smokes abroad would save me €100+.

That and more...

I'm just back from the Canaries - 200 John Player Blue/Red = €28. Here in Ireland you're looking at €130 for the same.
    More shocking is rolling tobacco. 500g of Golden Virginia (10 packs of 50g) = €74. Here the equivalent works out at €286 !!!
    It's a no brainer. All the huge taxes here are doing is encouraging criminality.

(BTW - Estonia is the cheapest in Europe for Tobacco..)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can people with disabilities who work full-time avail of medical cards?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Anyone?

Yes your GP can apply on your behalf for one on Medical grounds. Talk to your GP and they'll assess of your disability would qualify you.

From that, I think the answer is no. Not for people who are already working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

From that, I think the answer is no. Not for people who are already working

Citizens Information has more info, I think if you are on leave as a result of a disability your entitlement would be there if you return to work. In general though, it seems that you are more disadvantaged if you've worked and then need assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year. Buying 2 cartons of smokes abroad would save me €100 .
    It would be almost worth a person's while iv often thought to take a cheap flight to Spain an fly back in the evening with your cheap cigs That and more... I'm just back from the Canaries - 200 John Player Blue/Red = €28. Here in Ireland you're looking at €130 for the same. More shocking is rolling tobacco. 500g of Golden Virginia (10 packs of 50g) = €74. Here the equivalent works out at €286 !!! It's a no brainer. All the huge taxes here are doing is encouraging criminality. (BTW - Estonia is the cheapest in Europe for Tobacco..)
    Yup, that’s what I’m doing anyhow. Weekends away in mainland Europe instead of Ireland, bring back lots of smokes. Double hit as I’m spending less money in Ireland. Have probably bought 5 packs of cigarettes in Ireland this year.

Buying 2 cartons of smokes abroad would save me €100+.

That and more...

I'm just back from the Canaries - 200 John Player Blue/Red = €28. Here in Ireland you're looking at €130 for the same.
    More shocking is rolling tobacco. 500g of Golden Virginia (10 packs of 50g) = €74. Here the equivalent works out at €286 !!!
    It's a no brainer. All the huge taxes here are doing is encouraging criminality.

(BTW - Estonia is the cheapest in Europe for Tobacco..)
    Would it be worth a person's while to take a cheap flight to Spain or somewhere in the morning an fly back with yer cigarettes in the evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Something went wrong there apologies

Did he spend ages going on about brexit again?

This time last year was the planning for brexit budget. Nobody knew that come February that brexit would be postponed so why bring it up again when it was all planned for last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Would it be worth a person's while to take a cheap flight to Spain or somewhere in the morning an fly back with yer cigarettes in the evening??

A friend of mine has a bar in Cabo Roig and he gets loads of Brits going over on the 'Fag Run' that will stay one night or maybe the weekend. All perfectly legal. In Ireland, coming from an EU country, you can basically bring in as much as you want once it's for personal use. With cheap flights it's more than worth it and I have no doubt that plenty of people do so.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine has a bar in Cabo Roig and he gets loads of Brits going over on the 'Fag Run' that will stay one night or maybe the weekend. All perfectly legal. In Ireland, coming from an EU country, you can basically bring in as much as you want once it's for personal use. With cheap flights it's more than worth it and I have no doubt that plenty of people do so.

I thought you had to pay tax on them if you one of the unlucky ones whose bag was checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stop smoking would be this correspondents advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What has Fine Gael achieved since 2011? Very very little.
    They continued the FF economic policies and have borrowed us to 200m of national debt.
    The economy has recovered somewhat but none of it was due to a FG policy decision.
    Apart from that they have overseen disasters in health, housing, broadband, insurance fraud, cervical cancer etc.
    They had a huge opportunity but achieved very little if anything. Very disappointing.
    Another budget with zero vision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I thought you had to pay tax on them if you one of the unlucky ones whose bag was checked?

You pay your tax at source once inside the EU

Citizens Information has more info, I think if you are on leave as a result of a disability your entitlement would be there if you return to work. In general though, it seems that you are more disadvantaged if you've worked and then need assistance.

My wife and I both have disabilities. She thought she read somewhere that we would be able to reapply for medical cards?

My wife and I both have disabilities. She thought she read somewhere that we would be able to reapply for medical cards?

You should ring your local citizens information, they'll be able to help you and will have up to date information. I hope you get sorted, doctors visits add up for normal day to day ailments, a long-term issue would quickly eat into disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

I’m sure the €6/tonne carbon tax will make a big difference to global emissions lol #pretending

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

vladmydad wrote: »
    I’m sure the €6/tonne carbon tax will make a big difference to global emissions lol #pretending

They think the Irish public are stupid and maybe they're right.

The people elected these clowns so what can you do?

A population of 5 million getting hammered with carbon taxes will make ZERO difference when China and India continue to use **** loads of coal.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It certainly would. You could do a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

A population of 5 million getting hammered with carbon taxes will make ZERO difference when China and India continue to use **** loads of coal.:mad:

Yup, pissing in the wind. This new carbon tax is Leo hedging his bets and currying favour with those who voted for the Greens recently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Ardent wrote: »
    Yup, pissing in the wind. This new carbon tax is Leo hedging his bets and currying favour with those who voted for the Greens recently.

People are letting themselves be hoodwinked by a 16 year old child!:o They actually think she's masterminding all this crap!

Because of this real life Disney character millions will suffer as these taxes ratchet up year after year.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

knipex wrote: »
    Were the bulk of them not closed over the last few years ??

Hence our dependence on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Is it the budget that increases minimum wage or at some other juncture ?
    Should increase it a small bit surely to encourage people into the workforce although many that are on welfare at this stage are work averse !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Is it the budget that increases minimum wage or at some other juncture ?
    Should increase it a small bit surely to encourage people into the workforce although many that are on welfare at this stage are work averse !

It's increased by 30c I heard, but contingent on no-deal Brexit not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They think the Irish public are stupid and maybe they're right.

The people elected these clowns so what can you do?

But who do you vote for. We seem to be locked into these type of policies no matter whoes in government.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No indication that a revised budget will be brought in should Brexit occur with a deal or not occur at all, in both instances the economy will continue to grow.

Utter plebs FG. No change to corporate tax but no change to the loopholes enabling the big MNCs pay effectively 0% tax.

Paschal Donohue and the FG party should be hung from the gates of the Dail.

FF would want an election immediately on any chance of breast being sorted and would not enable FG to buy the election with a revised budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So nothing in there for the majority out working five days a week, but those that are able, yet haven’t worked a day in years still get their Christmas bonus.

What’s the point in working Christmas week when you’d nearly get as much sitting on your ass?

Those on disability, retired or recently unemployed and looking for work are fully deserving, along with those ineligible to work, and should be getting more throughout the year. It’s the remaining scrounges that I’m referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The variable rate Euro has made its annual budget day appearance. This is how it works. Someone gets a €10 increase and they are interviewed for the radio. That tenner is an insult, it would not even buy a pack of fags.

But if there had been a reduction of €5, all hell would break loose. That fiver would be the difference between families being able to eat or starving. I reckon that one of those fivers is worth about ten times as much as one of the other tenners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stop smoking would be this correspondents advice.

Is smoking still cool as it was in the Fifties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

It certainly would. You could do a day trip.

I’m planning on this but only smoke silk cut purple. Is there a way to find out where they’re sold in EU? I did a search but not easy to find definite answers

Advertisement