Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cormie wrote: »
    Is there anyone here who is completely happy with the service so far, has not run into any problems worth complaining about (no network is absolutely perfect) and who would, regardless of the above, still recommend switching due to the savings to be had?

I'm very happy, have helped my OH, sister and parents to move too and all are happy, no issues.

Having said that I'm a relatively light data user (as they all are), so don't need 4G, just data for whatsapp, email and light surfing. I wouldn't recommend it if you are a heavy data user and need the fastest connection possible (4g).

I find Lyca to be exactly the same as Tesco and 48 in terms of coverage, data speeds and reliability. I've been with all three over the years. Lyca currently has the best deals in Ireland.

In the past I've been with almost every network. Vodafone was great, very reliable, in particular their Sure Signal devices was very handy for reception at home. But so expensive, I just couldn't justify it for my relatively light needs.

Three was absolutely terrible. I had awful problems with the network falling over to 2G and needing to restart phone to get data services back on my iPhone and that was in Dublin city center!! Quickly dropped them after just two months.

Never been with Meteor, but people say good things about them. 4G, HD Voice and free EU roaming, for medium prices seems pretty decent deal.

I'm not saying Lyca is perfect for everyone, after all you get what you pay for. However I think they are more then good enough for most peoples needs. Thing to remember, this isn't a contract, so no harm in trying, you can always quickly switch if you run into problems that can't be fixed.
    Rockin wrote: »
    How do you view your remaining allowance online?

You can check on your phone by typing:
    *147#

Check your bundle with:
    *137#

Online it is in your account under:
    Click Here to View Bundle Details

Yes:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks again everyone for all the help. If there's some kind of referral link, I can ask my friend to use the first one posted below this when signing up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone for all the help. If there's some kind of referral link, I can ask my friend to use the first one posted below this when signing up :)
    Oh memmememe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes. And from what I can see they have extended their offers til 31st July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Where do you see the expiry date? I couldn't find one when I went looking.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Where do you see the expiry date? I couldn't find one when I went looking.

Was looking at the Offers page. A couple of them have expiury dates of 31st July, e.g. http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/lycamobile-voucher-code

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pretty much every single Lyca bundle and offer has an expiry date one month ahead. On the 1st of each month, they just seem to automatically get bumped by another month. I'm not saying they never change the deals, they clearly do and worth keeping an eye on, but the deals seem to have remained the same the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

If ComReg allow Three get away with this, it would surely be bad news for rural customers on Lyca/Tesco/CarPhoneWarehouse and Virgin Mobile.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1616s.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭TestLink

If I topup by 15 euro, would it be carried over to next month like tesco mobile?

Or would it be used up and I need to topup each month by 15 euro for getting free calls and text?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a newer, much longer thread on their latest offer...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭TestLink

Esel wrote: »
    There is a newer, much longer thread on their latest offer...

Cud you post the link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If ComReg allow Three get away with this, it would surely be bad news for rural customers on Lyca/Tesco/CarPhoneWarehouse and Virgin Mobile.

Thats just Vodafone saying in a roundabout way that the proposed change will hit their bottom line:rolleyes:.

Well here is what Three are actually requesting:

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1616.pdf

And reading it, it actually makes an awful lot of sense and for the most part wouldn't effect rural customers or MVNO's *

* It is worth noting that non of the MVNO's have objected to this or made any comment to Comreg, just Vodafone who has no interest in this other then making things harder for Three.

Basically both Three and o2 had licenses for spectrum in the 2100Mhz band. So now that they have merged, they have loads of extra bandwidth in this band. Unfortunately however the frequencies of the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum, with Vodafones and Meteors frequencies in between. This is very inefficient and means Three would have to run two separate radios at each tower location. They are requesting to make a very minor technical adjustment so that they can use just one radio to operate both frequencies. Makes total sense.

Now yes, they say that at some sites, where demand is low, they will operate only one of the 2100Mhz bands, thus saving them money. But at busier towers they will continue to use both licenses for extra capacity.

In terms of rural broadband, this has to be looked at in the bigger picture that Three has been rolling out 3G in 2100Mhz to lots more rural towers then had it before and also are rolling out 3G on 900Mhz and also 4G on 800Mhz and 1800Mhz.

As a result rural Ireland has more capacity and coverage then ever before. Also keep in mind that the lower frequencies 800Mhz 4G and 900Mhz 3G are much better suited to rural areas due to lower frequencies being able to travel much further and penetrate walls and trees much better. The higher frequencies of 1800 and 2100 don't travel very far or penetrate walls very well and are thus more suited to being used to deliver extra capacity on conjested urban towers, where towers are much closer together and thus the signal doesn't need to travel very far.

Basically Vodafone are just being dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Well thanks to this thread I signed up to Lyca.

Signed up for a plan 3 weeks ago but my sim never arrived.
    I've been on to them on facebook several times but got nowhere.

Their complaints email address on the website bounces back with an error.

All in all they seem amateurish and I am very close to completely cancelling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm on 48Months at the minute, and got a sim for these in the door today, but now I'm reading a few conflicting things. Worth the changeover, or stick with 48months?

I barely use data, I get 1GB with 48 and never go over it, doubt I even use half.

I run out of minutes often on 48. Are these were unlimited?

EDIT. - I was reading the wrong info about another provider.

Switching over.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Blade wrote: »
    Threads merged

Dont know if its possible but can BK's post be made #1 as there is a lot of useful info on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

adm wrote: »
    Well thanks to this thread I signed up to Lyca.

Signed up for a plan 3 weeks ago but my sim never arrived.
    I've been on to them on facebook several times but got nowhere.

Their complaints email address on the website bounces back with an error.

All in all they seem amateurish and I am very close to completely cancelling.

Try contacting them on Twitter. I had a query about a bundle and they responded within minutes. (Office hours)
    https://twitter.com/LycamobileIE

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

Ogham wrote: »
    Try contacting them on Twitter. I had a query about a bundle and they responded within minutes. (Office hours)
    https://twitter.com/LycamobileIE

I swapped from 48 to lyca a month ago. Ported in an hour. Able to ring 076 numbers which I couldn't on 48. No problem with signal.

Can't port my number online, had a load of hassle, so I rang them.

No tones at all when you ring, and eventually a recorded voice plays.
    Pressed the correct keys required to progress. Currently on hold 15 minutes and 38 seconds.

This is not a good sign.

Waited over 20 minutes, got through, she told me to type a code into my phone, I did, then she hung up.

I am now at square one.

I think I just had a lucky escape.

Allyall wrote: »
    Waited over 20 minutes, got through, she told me to type a code into my phone, I did, then she hung up.

I am now at square one.

I think I just had a lucky escape.

My OH's and my own port worked perfectly fine. My sister did have some problems, the online port failed and she had to call to get it sorted, took a few minutes to get through to them, but once she did, they sorted it out and had her ported with 5 minutes.

Otherwise the service has been perfect so far.

In case Lyca are reading this, my advice to them is that they do need to improve their porting process. When you initiate a port online, you should get a text about the port and another text once complete or similar if it fails, with a message to contact support. At the moment porting online lacks transparency and proper notifications.

Okay, thanks for that.
    I decided to give it another go.

The porting is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Here I go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

I filled out the online form to port my number and heard nothing back after a week. I rang 3 times in one day and was on hold for an hour and a half altogether. Next day I rang again, after 35 mins nothing. Tried again an hour later ,25 mins on hold and nothing. I even tried ringing different extensions just to talk to somebody but nobody home. Have sent two emails with no reply. Even sent a complaint to there link for complaints and it came back undelivered.

I'm with three at the minute and the coverage is brutal in my area. Phone keeps going into roaming mode so I can't access the Internet on it. But at least I can get through to their customer care team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Apparently, the best / fastest response is via Hector on their FB page.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement