Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I love this thread. Haven't laughed so much in ages :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jeez, what's with the hatred of Irish names for Irish children???

I'm not talking about stupid things like "Fuinneog" or "Caca Milis" but traditional Irish names.
    I have friends from all over living here, in the vast majority they all named their children with traditional names from their own country.
    I have a Russian friend whose daughters name is Lubov. Should I take the mick? Would have the PC brigade after me :D

Seems we like to run our own culture down at times while supporting other cultures. Acceptance is key ;)

*I have 2 children with Irish names(not the above :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Smidge wrote: »
    Jeez, what's with the hatred of Irish names for Irish children???

I'm not talking about stupid things like "Fuinneog" or "Caca Milis" but traditional Irish names.
    I have friends from all over living here, in the vast majority they all named their children with traditional names from their own country.
    I have a Russian friend whose daughters name is Lubov. Should I take the mick? Would have the PC brigade after me :D

Seems we like to run our own culture down at times while supporting other cultures. Acceptance is key ;)

*I have 2 children with Irish names(not the above :D)

Or sometimes people just don't like particular names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Witchie wrote: »
    Or sometimes people just don't like particular names?

Maybe so Witchie and that's fine, but the amount of people taking the mick out of generally normal Irish names on the thread seems two faced.

EG, if I were to take the mick out of certain cultural names(from whatever culture, take your pick Mustafa, Muhamed, or trad Romanian/Polish names)you could bet your behind I would feel the wrath ;)
    I have friends in these cultures btw.

Whats wrong with having a name that is traditional in your own country?
    Why do we feel the need at every hands turn to run our own culture down?
    I dont get it as I love diversity and other cultures but equally appreciate my own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

Rihanna Lopez Ryan - A future teenage mother if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Matterhorn McBride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

stoneruile wrote: »
    Here Star Man you come on here moaning like a little China Girl giving people abuse. Making noise like a Little Drummer boy. I'll meet you down at that chipper. You'll be falling around like you're trapped in a labyrinth!

Strange that you thanked that post that you've quoted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The double barrelled surname Irish-Waters!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

jca wrote: »
    Strange that you thanked that post that you've quoted...

To be honest I saw it and thought it was ridiculous. Hence, I am ripping the Michael out of this lad's name in my post above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Some little girl from Dublin called Sharia...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

Smidge wrote: »
    Maybe so Witchie and that's fine, but the amount of people taking the mick out of generally normal Irish names on the thread seems two faced.

EG, if I were to take the mick out of certain cultural names(from whatever culture, take your pick Mustafa, Muhamed, or trad Romanian/Polish names)you could bet your behind I would feel the wrath ;)
    I have friends in these cultures btw.

Whats wrong with having a name that is traditional in your own country?
    Why do we feel the need at every hands turn to run our own culture down?
    I dont get it as I love diversity and other cultures but equally appreciate my own :)

I think Irish names are great. The only gripe (if you could call it that) I have with them is that anyone that isn't Irish really struggles to read them. Even simple names that we don't really think about like "Niamh". Try sounding that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Worst one ever, a little girl called "Nefertiti" (seemingly this was some queen or Pharaoh-ess in ancient Egypt)

Almost counts as child abuse: just imagine the nicknames!!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Taylor's okay for an American name. The others are horrible. Sutton?

Maybe they were a musicals fan. One of Broadway's biggest/most award winning actresses is called Sutton Foster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Some of our local nomadic brethren had a child christened Paddy Pio last weekend. The mother was dressed as the Little Mermaid, complete with a fish tail like train covered in roses on her dress, the baby wore a white sequined tuxedo.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

When we're on holidays as a teenager I made a friend call Gethsemane Rainbow.

bluewolf wrote: »
    grate-hyen?
    sounds nicer than gretchen as english I guess :D

met a girl once who insisted imogen was pronounced with a hard g. Thankfully it wasn't her name or anyone else's present...

My husbands niece had a baby last year and called her Imogen, don't know where the hell she got that name from, but it's awful. The niece is only 23 so it's a very old-fashioned name for her to have chosen.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

^ I quite like Imogen, I think it's pretty.

Saw in the paper one of the first babies of 2015 was called Armani. She had a very common Irish surname too which makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Christiana. Again, another one of those male names turned into a female version. Hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My husbands niece had a baby last year and called her Imogen, don't know where the hell she got that name from, but it's awful. The niece is only 23 so it's a very old-fashioned name for her to have chosen.:confused:

It's a popular enough name at the moment. I know two Imogen's - one is a baby, the other is 5. It wouldn't have taken long for her to come across it if she was looking up names.

A lot of the old fashioned names are becoming popular again - I know baby girls called Edie (short for Edith), Elsie and a baby boy called Gene (short for Eugene).

Woshy wrote: »
    It's a popular enough name at the moment. I know two Imogen's - one is a baby, the other is 5. It wouldn't have taken long for her to come across it if she was looking up names.

A lot of the old fashioned names are becoming popular again - I know baby girls called Edie (short for Edith), Elsie and a baby boy called Gene (short for Eugene).

That really surprises me that it's a popular name. Everyone in the family hates the name. Still, each to their own. My mother almost called me Trudy:eek:, but the midwife persuaded her not to.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That really surprises me that it's a popular name. Everyone in the family hates the name. Still, each to their own. My mother almost called me Trudy:eek:, but the midwife persuaded her not to.:)

Pumpkinseeds is much nicer:D

My missus had a baby (still unnamed as yet, about 2 weeks ago) Woman beside her in the recovery ward or whatever it's called is talking to her husband/boyfriend. Conversation as follows -

Her: Look at her, you can't deny her like the others, she's the spit of you.
    Him: Him, it's a boy.
    Her: I think Sharon maybe, after Sharon.
    Him: No, he's a little boy.
    Her: What? Will you get her dressed.
    Him: It's a fúcking boy, a boy, not a girl.
    Her: What, oh it's not a bleeding boy is it. It better not be a fúcking red head, like that slut.
    Him: Who?
    Her: You know who, I'm not stupid.
    Him: Ah here, I'm going to feed the horses.
    Her: Will you at least change her and dress her first you useless bastard.
    Him: He's a fúcking boy!!!

And so on and so and so on.
    I swear on my childs life not one single word of that is exaggerated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Pumpkinseeds is much nicer:D

My missus had a baby (still unnamed as yet, about 2 weeks ago) Woman beside her in the recovery ward or whatever it's called is talking to her husband/boyfriend. Conversation as follows -

Her: Look at her, you can't deny her like the others, she's the spit of you.
    Him: Him, it's a boy.
    Her: I think Sharon maybe, after Sharon.
    Him: No, he's a little boy.
    Her: What? Will you get her dressed.
    Him: It's a fúcking boy, a boy, not a girl.
    Her: What, oh it's not a bleeding boy is it. It better not be a fúcking red head, like that slut.
    Him: Who?
    Her: You know who, I'm not stupid.
    Him: Ah here, I'm going to feed the horses.
    Her: Will you at least change her and dress her first you useless bastard.
    Him: He's a fúcking boy!!!

And so on and so and so on.
    I swear on my childs life not one single word of that is exaggerated!!

Gas n air, gas n air.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

stoneruile wrote: »
    I think Irish names are great. The only gripe (if you could call it that) I have with them is that anyone that isn't Irish really struggles to read them. Even simple names that we don't really think about like "Niamh". Try sounding that one out.

I answered the phone in work one day, there was an English lady asking if we had a sigh-oh-bah-han there, took me a while to cop she was looking for Siobhan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

There was so a kid on my daughters class called Django

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

My cousin in Australia called his baby boy Darcey. Apparently it's a very popular name for boys in Oz, but it reminds me of Darcey Bussell, and the Jane Austen character! I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭black & white

Some of our local nomadic brethren had a child christened Paddy Pio last weekend. The mother was dressed as the Little Mermaid, complete with a fish tail like train covered in roses on her dress, the baby wore a white sequined tuxedo.:D

Photo available on the parish website.........

Yep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Jaysus the state of the dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Witchie wrote: »
    Jaysus the state of the dress!

Sweet jesus, she looks like one of those tropical Barbies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Kovu wrote: »
    Sweet jesus, she looks like one of those tropical Barbies.

If this isn't a p*ss-take ... link please? :):D

Advertisement