Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Should nuts be banned in schools?
Yes - they should be banned 201 50.76%
No - the school, children and parents should accomodate 175 44.19%
Don't know 20 5.05%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

09-10-2019, 19:22   #61
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
I don't know why i thought this thread was in parenting.

Fecking after hours? Yeah, kill all the kids then we can all eat/suck eachothers nuts.

That's the level of answer this place deserves
I wouldn't take it
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 19:23   #62
Ave Sodalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
How?

I'm going to assume the answer isn't "well, if we leave them in, the kids with nut allergies are more likely to die and so it would decrease the number of kids with nut allergies. Ergo, by removing them from public areas, we increase the number of kids with nut allergies as they're more likely to survive to child bearing age and pass on the probably genetic allergen."

It's more likely some convoluted idea that exposure decreases the risk, which completely ignores the fact that these kids already have the allergy...
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 19:27   #63
Hobosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Seriously?So the non-allergic children should inoculate the others by killing them?
I presume you are anti vax as well, then?
You presume I'm anti vax because I'm highlighting the strength of the immune system?

You should really presume I'm pro vaccine given that information.
09-10-2019, 19:28   #64
Sour Lemonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
You lost me at "I don't have any children." Educated?Wiser?I'm a primary teacher with over 30 years of experience. We have had a nut ban for about 15 years and never any issue with any child being threatened in such a fashion. Children who may otherwise be unkind or even bully others are very protective of the children with SEN/physical disabilities and allergies.

At a rough count. I've taught in 10 different schools. I'm in contact with hundreds of primary teachers per week. So, you know what, I'm going to claim more wisdom and education in this area?

I've witnessed junior infants tell sub teachers that X can't eat nuts/needs to go to the bathroom more often than others/needs an inhaler sometimes at PE (Sub teacher is always informed of any children with additional needs, but the children look out for them anyhow.)
My lack of children and lack of being an educator does not invalidate the points i have made. Your experience is just that, your experience, other people have different experiences, it does not make you more educated or wiser.

My 10 yo nephew has CF, actively tells his teachers about needing certain medications when eating and can't be in contact with other CF kids. I am agreed with alot of smart kids that can communicate these things, however based on ranges across different age groups and schools there is the possibility something could happen.
09-10-2019, 19:30   #65
Cienciano

Do people love nuts so much that they can't go to school without them?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 19:30   #66
TheBoyConor

When did all this nut/dairy/egg/whatever else allergy and bans and things come in?

When I was in school there was none of this allergy craic, not that I ever saw or heard of anyway. Every second child these days seems to have some sort of obscure allergy.
09-10-2019, 19:31   #67
iamwhoiam

Do people not understand this . No one has died from not having nuts for lunch but kids have died because they are in close proximity to nuts
Is that not very simple for people to get ?
09-10-2019, 19:32   #68
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of
Do you think severe allergies don’t exist? To the sufferer, it doesn’t matter how rare they are. They are a sufferer and that’s all there is to it.

I honestly envy people who have so little to worry about that something like a school nut ban is a great affront to them. I mean, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobosan View Post
Banning nuts increases allergies due to lack of exposure.

Now, read through this thread again and look at all the "gobdaws" on their high horses, making the problem worse while thinking themselves ultra considerate and clever.

Science deniers come in all stripes.
Children can eat them at home.
09-10-2019, 19:34   #69
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyConor View Post
When did all this nut/dairy/egg/whatever else allergy and bans and things come in?

When I was in school there was none of this allergy craic, not that I ever saw or heard of anyway. Every second child these days seems to have some sort of obscure allergy.
I did . In A and E way back . I have seen kids die from allergies , seen parents destroyed with grief . It existed all right it was just not diagnosed as much
Thankfully people are now aware of minor symptoms and carry epipens to avoid a disaster

Last edited by iamwhoiam; 09-10-2019 at 19:38.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 19:34   #70
TheBoyConor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Lemonz View Post
My 10 yo nephew has CF, actively tells his teachers about needing certain medications when eating and can't be in contact with other CF kids.
Why is that? Is it because they have lots of infections that could spread?
09-10-2019, 19:36   #71
Princess Calla

Quote:
You presume I'm anti vax because I'm highlighting the strength of the immune system?

You should really presume I'm pro vaccine given that information.
I've a child with an allergy, not nuts. We found out by accident, or rather the crèche did

The allergy is deemed not severe but we still have to carry epipens everywhere we go.

We were recommended to introduce foods in a controlled way, I presume to increase the immune system. But it was a controlled way while we had an epipen in our hands. Both of us were there if things went sideways.

A school with 20-30 students in a class is not a controlled environment.

Last edited by Princess Calla; 09-10-2019 at 19:46.
09-10-2019, 19:37   #72
BuileBeag

Quote:
Banning nuts increases allergies due to lack of exposure.

Now, read through this thread again and look at all the "gobdaws" on their high horses, making the problem worse while thinking themselves ultra considerate and clever.

Science deniers come in all stripes.
I believe your referring to the science which shows that exposing your baby to common allergens such as peanuts, at 6 months of age, reduces the risk of them developing an allergy.

Six months!

Exposing a school aged child to common allergens such as peanuts will not reduce their risk of having an allergy, as at that age the allergy will already be in existence so your only increasing the risk of illness or death.

Maybe you need to read up on anaphylaxis. Speaking from experience, it is terrifying to have a family member with such an allergy. The smell alone can lead to death for some and as shown by Susie above, the mere touch can also be fatal. Even administering an epi-pen is not always effective. Its a scary way to live your life, particularly for a child and their parents.
09-10-2019, 19:37   #73
Sour Lemonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyConor View Post
Why is that? Is it because they have lots of infections that could spread?
There are a range of ailments that folks with CF have, its a big list and different folks can have different afflictions, as such carrying different risks, therefor mixing is best avoided. When my nephew went to crumlin to get a port under his arm when he was 7, the ward have 5 isolation rooms, for all kids with cf, only one could be out of a room at a time when doing stuff in that area.

This can be everything from weight gain issues, eye problems to lack of development of sexual organs. A range of folks with cf are infertile as things like the vas deferns dont develop where fellas concerned.
09-10-2019, 19:37   #74
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr View Post
Not 100% sure but I know the school had to send legal correspondence as this was the 3rd it 4th time said parents had sent child to school with nut products it seems they were giving the child the stuff to bring in .
There is no legal basis for what you claimed sorry. P*ss poor behaviour on the parents behalf though.
09-10-2019, 19:41   #75
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr View Post
I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.
Criminal proceedings being threatened means diddely squat. The op asked should a doctor note be produced, it’s a legitimate excuse. Loads of self diagnoses coeliacs out there , doing more damage to themselves.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed