Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there a list of what's available on the Irish Netflix? Their menu system is horrific, and I was hoping there'd be somewhere to clearly see what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

seamus wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I'm waiting for, but there doesn't appear to be any way to ask netflix.

Call Customer Services- Phone help available 24 hours a day.
    1800 94 86 15

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Beagslife wrote: »
    For anyone needing/using a vpn service, www.overplay.net as well as offering a great range of vpn server locations (incl Ireland, UK, US) now includes a SmartDNS feature. It seems to be basically the same as what the unblock-us service offers. It is included in their $9.95 monthly fee.

I am based in Portugal. I have set SmartDNS up on my main router and I can now access hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, RTE Player etc on all my web devices without going down the vpn route. I can still use the direct vpn feature when required.

I have set up a second router with Overplay’s DD-WRT specific router vpn application. It allows me to connect the router directly to any of their vpn servers. I have my Sony Bravia connected to this router. I can therefore watch the TV3 Player content directly on my tv (when set to Irish server) or iPlayer and Demand 5 (when set to UK). Still waiting for RTE Player on the Sony Bravia platform! Using the second router means I keep my full internet speed for the rest of the house.

I am not a tech expert, so I found their tech support great. They have detailed info on their site but will also walk you through the set up process if needed.

As an emigrant, it has been a great solution for viewing Irish content abroad. I hope this helps someone else out there.

By the way, does anyone have any idea when Netflix (Irl & UK) will be available on the Sony Bravia platform? I can get it on my tv when routed to the US. I will definitely sign up to Netflix, if I can get it directly on my tv.

Im a bit of a dummy when it comes to this but if I went with overplay, would I be able to access netflix us, hulu etc on the ps3, smartphone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Im a bit of a dummy when it comes to this but if I went with overplay, would I be able to access netflix us, hulu etc on the ps3, smartphone??

I'm not with overplay but Hidemyass which is similar. Once I set it up on my router I can access these on my PC, laptop, and xbox. haven't tried my phone but should be no problemas long as it's on wifi over my router.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

Originally Posted by wingnut32: Im a bit of a dummy when it comes to this but if I went with overplay, would I be able to access netflix us, hulu etc on the ps3, smartphone??

If you set the SmartDNS up on your main router then all of the devices connected to it (either wired or through wifi) will have access to the geoblocked content of those sites. So if your smartphone is using your house wifi, you should be able to access the content.

The sites that have worked for me so far are RTE Player, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Hulu and ABC. I haven't tried Netflix yet, as I am waiting to see if it will be added to the Sony Bravia platform before signing up.

As far as I know, they can set up their vpn connectios on some smartphones, to allow you to access blocked sites via vpn when out and about. You would need to check this with them as I haven't looked at it.

For new subscriptions they offer a 48 hour money back warranty, so if it doesn't suit you can simply cancel. I pay through Paypal and I can cancel it easily for the following month, if I am not likely to use it due to holidays/work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If you set the SmartDNS up on your main router then all of the devices connected to it (either wired or through wifi) will have access to the geoblocked content of those sites. So if your smartphone is using your house wifi, you should be able to access the content.

The sites that have worked for me so far are RTE Player, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Hulu and ABC. I haven't tried Netflix yet, as I am waiting to see if it will be added to the Sony Bravia platform before signing up.

As far as I know, they can set up their vpn connectios on some smartphones, to allow you to access blocked sites via vpn when out and about. You would need to check this with them as I haven't looked at it.

For new subscriptions they offer a 48 hour money back warranty, so if it doesn't suit you can simply cancel. I pay through Paypal and I can cancel it easily for the following month, if I am not likely to use it due to holidays/work etc.

I tried blackvpn and my internet ground to a halt. do vpns do that if your connection isint great?I have netflix but would like to see the us one before i decide to keep it or not. no point if it buffers through a vpn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It depends on your router but if it's the silver Netopia one then go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser and then set your DNS settings to match the Unblock-US one. Don't forget to start up your trial first though.

Trial of netflix, i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

guys for anyone using blackvpn or similar to access Netflix US, once your movie loads and starts to play, disconnect your VPN and you'll get your full download speed as opposed to the slower VPN speed. You'll need to reconnect to the VPN when you want to browse again though.

I tried blackvpn and my internet ground to a halt. do vpns do that if your connection isint great?I have netflix but would like to see the us one before i decide to keep it or not. no point if it buffers through a vpn.

That's the beauty of the Overplay SmartDNS feature. You are not going through a vpn, so you should have your normal internet speed. Now, I only use the vpn feature to connect my internet tv directly to an Irish/UK/US server.

Even for normal vpn, I found Overplay better than anything else I had tried before.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Finally figured out the problem with the invalid logon with Netflix US using unblock DNS. If you signed up with facebook, check your email from Netflix and there'll be a link to allow you to set a password for your login for other devices/sites that do not use the facebook connection. I kept using the facebook connection which works fine on the EU version but once i set the password for the other sites, it worked a treat!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Enjoying the free trial, would pay 15 a month if I could access all the American Netflix content though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Enjoying the free trial, would pay 15 a month if I could access all the American Netflix content though.

You can, I took @Beagslife advice and signed up to Overplay. Tried a danish tv channel for the crack and was able to spoof my danish ip address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You can, I took @Beagslife advice and signed up to Overplay. Tried a danish tv channel for the crack and was able to spoof my danish ip address.

Yeah but I'm sure they'll crack down on that sort of think soon. Just looked at Overplay it doesn't support PS3 which would be the only route to my tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah but I'm sure they'll crack down on that sort of think soon. Just looked at Overplay it doesn't support PS3 which would be the only route to my tv.
    Have a search for unblock US. Loads about it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

it must be an american thing which gets the indiginious populace excited...

god rest sheila keith , etc...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Put in the unblock us DNS addresses to try and unlock the us content into my router. Went on Netflix on phone, got this error:

imagesyj.jpg

Is there something I'm doing wrong? On my Xbox it will let me see what content there just not play it. :/

Using the SmartDNS function with Overplay on your router should work with a PS3, as it's the gateway for all devices on your network (same as with unblock-us). I don't have a PS3 but I'm sure it's the case.

As regards a crack down, I think Netflix promote the idea of being able to use their service when you travel to another geographic location where they operate.

I've just discovered that SmartDNS allows me to use SkyGo here in Portugal as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

As regards a crack down, I think Netflix promote the idea of being able to use their service when you travel to another geographic location where they operate.

This is true.

And also why would they crack down? This work around will mean more subscribers in the Uk and Ireland. Remember people using this work around are stil paying for the service.

Netfilx will be happy to overlook this on two accounts

1 - That they aren't knowingly breaking any of the various publishing laws that they need to adhere to

2 - That the use of these Un-block services don't affect the quality of service to others

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just signed up for the unblock-us method :)
    I may not be seeing daylight for a while >_>

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Just to emphasise the lack of Irish films and TV shows available on Netflix, I've written up a decent list of Irish/Irish-American Films and Irish TV Shows below (in the faint hope Netflix might see this as they don't have any way of being e-mailed), and highlighted in bold are those that are available on Netflix:

Irish Films
    My Left Foot (1989)
    The Field (1990)
    The Commitments (1991)
    Into The West (1992)
    In The Name Of The Father (1993)
    The Snapper (1993)
    War Of The Buttons (1994)
    Michael Collins (1996)
    The Van (1996)
    The Boxer (1997)
    The Butcher Boy (1997)
    The General (1998)
    Agnes Brown (1999)
    Angela's Ashes (1999)
    Borstal Boy (2000)
    Rat (2000)
    Bloody Sunday (2002)
    Evelyn (2002)
    In America (2002)
    The Magdalene Sisters (2002)
    InterMission (2003)
    Song For A Raggy Boy (2003)
    The Boys from County Clare (2003)
    Veronica Guerin (2003)
    Adam & Paul (2004)
    Inside I'm Dancing (2004)
    Man About Dog (2004)
    Omagh (2004)
    Breakfast On Pluto (2005)
    Once (2006)
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley (2006)
    Garage (2007)
    Kings (2007)
    P.S. I Love You (2007)
    Hunger (2008)
    In Bruges (2008)
    Kisses (2008)
    Perriers Bounty (2009)
    Killing Bono (2011)
    The Guard (2011)

Irish-American Films
    The Quiet Man (1952)
    The Boondock Saints (1999)
    The Boondock Saints II (2009)
    Gangs Of New York (2002)
    Road To Perdition (2002)
    The Departed (2006)
    Tne Fighter (2010)
    The Town (2010)
    Kill The Irishman (2011)

Irish TV Shows
    Father Ted (1995/Channel 4)
    Bachelors Walk (2001/RTÉ)
    The Clinic (2003/RTÉ)
    Prosperity (2007/RTÉ)
    Single-Handed (2007/RTÉ)
    The English Class (2007/RTÉ)
    Raw (2008/RTÉ)
    Mrs. Brown's Boys (2011/RTÉ)
    Love/Hate (2010/RTÉ)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Turbine wrote: »
    The English Class (2007/RTÉ)
    Mrs. Brown's Boys (2011/RTÉ)

You want to watch them again on Netflix? :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

You want to watch them again on Netflix? :eek:

I'm not a big fan of Mrs. Brown's Boys but its a clearly a popular show with most people, but I thought the English Class was funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd imagine it's because most Irish distributors are focusing on Volta as their VoD option: http://www.volta.ie/catalogue#ajax/country/IE

Never heard of Volta? Not surprised! I had and I still had trouble finding it there when I forgot the name :pac:

Again, give it time and more distributors will sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

For the love of god....remove Netflix....I can't stop watching 24:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Never heard of Volta? Not surprised! I had and I still had trouble finding it there when I forgot the name :pac:

I have literally never heard of those guys! Where did you find them johnny?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Skinfull wrote: »
    what? Thats insane! I was looking for the same info as PWEI and I cant believe we need to install "Home" to get access to netflix! Ugh if I recall that Home was a fairly big install too :mad:

It wasn't that either, no need to to install "Home". I was amazed after hours of browsing the Internet I couldn't find the correct answer. So I eventually rang Netflix & was put through to some sort of technical support department. Turns out I was missing a TV/Video Services category from the XMB menu & that was where the Netflix app was. To get the TV/Video Services category I had to download Vidzone first & then restart the PS3. After that I was able to download the Netflix app from TV/Video Services.

On another note the two customer service people in the US that I talked to were very helpful and incredibly friendly. It was refreshing to talk to such chatty & friendly customer service people compared to what I'm used to in this country. Had a great chat to the Techie guy & asked him about the lack of content on the Irish service. He advised me that it's a licensing issue & for every new show or film they have to pay a lot of money for. That's it's taken them four & a half years to build up such a large selection in the US library.
    If they were to add that much content to the Irish one in a short space of time they would go bankrupt as it would cost them so much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

PWEI wrote: »

On another note the two customer service people in the US that I talked to were very helpful and incredibly friendly. It was refreshing to talk to such chatty & friendly customer service people compared to what I'm used to in this country. Had a great chat to the Techie guy & asked him about the lack of content on the Irish service.

Have to echo those sentiments. I had to ring Netflix the other day to get my password reset and I found their customer service excellent. I was through to someone in a few seconds and the American guy was really friendly and he resolved the issue in about 30 seconds.

Big difference from ringing customer service this side of the Atlantic for most companies. And a freefone number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

I subscripted two days ago and happily watching 24 House ever since:D I like Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Dear everyone who signed up for the free trial: Go watch Breaking Bad RIGHT NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

F*ck that. Go watch Twin Peaks!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement