Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LinkSys WRT54GS router owners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i bought a WRT54G 2.0 and a ****ty ADSL modem yesterday for €10 and installed hyperwrt on it. so many different firmwares for it out there. not a crappy router by any means

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats the difference between this and the WRT54G EU ? Is it the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I suspect something to do with usable frequencies. there might be one or two more channels at the top that you can/cannot use, i'm not sure. possibly can be changed with a firmware flash.

this article has a good explanation of all the different versions, but no mention of the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

I have my linksys wrt54gs (ver 4) for quite a while now and would agree its quite a good router though it is made alot better using third party FW flashes. Below is a link from black knights forum that gives more info and links on alternative FW flashes for this linksys model i.e. DD WRT Open WRT , HyperWRT and HyperWRT Thibor version

http://www.irishisptest.com/forum/wireless/995-linksys-wrt54gs-crashing-try-dd-wrt.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have my linksys wrt54gs (ver 4) for quite a while now and would agree its quite a good router though it is made alot better using third party FW flashes. Below is a link from black knights forum that gives more info and links on alternative FW flashes for this linksys model i.e. DD WRT Open WRT , HyperWRT and HyperWRT Thibor version

http://www.irishisptest.com/forum/wireless/995-linksys-wrt54gs-crashing-try-dd-wrt.html

If I recall correctly it was the version 5 of the wag54gs that has all the problems - again its vague but I think they departed from previous models in the way they approached that model and may have cut back some memory in it (I admit its all hazy to me now) but that version was definitely a bit of a disaster for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

I remember version 5 was supposed to locked down but a few months back a came across a blog showing how to flash a v5 ... problem is I cant recall the bloody site ... pretty sure was a v5 router

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You can flash v5 routers alright, I put DD-WRT on mine (it's a v5.1) last week. There's some stuff here and here about how to do it.
    I used the latter and had no problem doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its V6 of the router I have. The latest firmware updates fixes all issues with the router.

The only issues that remain is the lack of options in the software on the router. They are reasonable for most peoples needs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So quick question, last year I bought 2 V4's and flashed them with WRT firmwares, and I was able to use them as cheap Ethernet Bridges, can this be done with the current versions sold in PC World or is there another alternative?

Thanks

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is a particular version that still takes Open WRT.
    But can't most Ethernet WAN port routers have a bridge mode? Maybe only common on ones with integrated ADSL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its ok I found out that the later versions of the WRT54GS can take a slimmed down version of HyperWrt, but not going to pay PCWorld 89 Euros for it. I've found the WRT54GL will take 3rd party firmwares, so I'll buy that off the net.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i would like to buy linksys but is there any offer some where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 michael_d

best 3rd party firmware for linksys wrt54... TOMATO check this out!
    you can set the power of wireless etc..
    http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 michael_d

don't buy in pcworld! i spend 99.99 tomoro bring that back to shop
    i found on dabs.ie for HALF PRICE:eek:

Advertisement