Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farmer Pastimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My nephew is 12. He has free run of the internet, ps4 and his phone. There are days when he doesn't even get out of his pyjamas. Can play over 18s games etc. He hates coming to our house as he has to play outside. Although he does enjoy it when he gets going. As a result of this my youngest lad who is 11, doesn't want a phone. Never plays the playstation as he doesn't want to come addicted to it. Outside kicking ball before school etc. Total opposite teach other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Can we get back on topic please?
    Child rearing isn't a pastime! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Have you seen Vasyl Lomachenko? Unreal, his father took him out of boxing when he was young for 3 years to learn traditional Ukraine dancing. His footwork and movement is unreal.

Naoya Inoue.

Is another boxer from the lighter weights to have a look at. Fast on his way to becoming a superstar especially if he dispatches of Nonito Donaire in similar fashion to his previous opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Used to love mountain running too but a fecked up knee put an end to it last year. Still try to get a hike in few times a month just to clear the head. Do a bit of kayaking too on the lakes. Great for a bit of peace and quiet and an odd fresh trout thrown in for good luck too.
    If it stays raining I might even get my own lake before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Macra is my big passion Debating, Stock Judging, Drama you name it I’ll do it. My competitive streak comes out.

I suppose the unusual pass time I had is ultimate frisbee. Took it up in collage and kept at it. Played in 2 world Championships and 1 Euros for Ireland.
    A great sport with a great community.

• Advertisement

Frisbee sounds very interesting! So what does it entail in lay man's terms?

I knew there would be some interesting and unusual hobbies on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone going to run the marathon next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone going to run the marathon next week?

Testing next week so will only be a mini marathon. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Muckit wrote: »
    Frisbee sounds very interesting! So what does it entail in lay man's terms?

I knew there would be some interesting and unusual hobbies on here!

Looks cool. https://youtu.be/HhUays2ehyI

Class!! Looks kinda like American football... but with a frisbee!

• Advertisement

The basics:
    Teams of 7.
    End zone either end of the pitch. Catch it in the end zone for a point
    If you have the disc in your hand you can’t run but you can pivot. Once you’ve thrown you can move again. (A bit like netball)
    If a pass isn’t completed for whatever reason (disc hits the ground, goes out of bounds, gets knocked down by a defender or intercepted) then possession turns over.

The most interesting aspect is that it has no referee. Totally self refereed.

Toughest aspect is you could play 8 matches over the course of a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The basics:
    Teams of 7.
    End zone either end of the pitch. Catch it in the end zone for a point
    If you have the disc in your hand you can’t run but you can pivot. Once you’ve thrown you can move again. (A bit like netball)
    If a pass isn’t completed for whatever reason (disc hits the ground, goes out of bounds, gets knocked down by a defender or intercepted) then possession turns over.

The most interesting aspect is that it has no referee. Totally self refereed.

Toughest aspect is you could play 8 matches over the course of a weekend.

How long does a game last?

Depends on number of pitches but usually 70 minutes but could be cut down to 50 or 60

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Muckit wrote: »
    I agree with all you said _brian. But ld draw the line at kids having priority.

Every member of the family are equally important.

A parent is no good to their kids if they are a basket case.

It’s a valid point and I’ve been guilty of not looking after myself in the past both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Used to love mountain running too but a fecked up knee put an end to it last year. Still try to get a hike in few times a month just to clear the head. Do a bit of kayaking too on the lakes. Great for a bit of peace and quiet and an odd fresh trout thrown in for good luck too.
    If it stays raining I might even get my own lake before too long

Last time we climbed Sleive Donnard in the Mournes there was a race on, saw a guy take a terrible tumble, it’s a sport that must be horrific on the body.

_Brian wrote:
    Last time we climbed Sleive Donnard in the Mournes there was a race on, saw a guy take a terrible tumble, it’s a sport that must be horrific on the body.

You sort of have to go out with the mindset that you most likely will fall at least once on race day. Lucky I never had anything more than a few scratches and dislocated fingers.

Nothing quite like the feeling of bombing down the side of a mountain barely in control.

Mountain running is tough (or looks it I have t tried it) ankles and knees must take a pounding

I used to like the jogging myself. Nothing major 5k mostly. I hadn't jogged in about 6years and touch a notion during the summer just gone. Circumstances had changed. We'd moved location, changed house and had two kids. So l planned a route, l donned the gear and off l headed.

I finished it without stopping. Twas like l had won the Dublin city Marathon. Great sense of achievement. I couldn't believe what l had done and no training in a long long time. The power of the mind and determination. Unfortunately l only repeated it twice more in the weeks that followed and l haven't gone out since... to be continued..

The fittest l ever was was at 35, 7 years ago, the year l got married. I had a strict jogging and exercise routine, and ate very cleanly. I was looking after myself.

I now know that regular exercise isn't an option. It's a necessity. At any age. The time has to be found to include it in an already busy life. The pie is still the same, the slices just have to be cut smaller. The benefits in doing it to both physical and mental health are immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I forgot about the auld horse-riding! Though as I don't have one of my own right now the tack is languishing in the attic.

If we're on about weird ones I used to be mad into rock climbing. Dalkey, Glendalough, Mournes etc, even went to the Alps one year. Got a bad doing on one incident & even though I climbed the same route the following year, I never went back to it.

Love cooking as well, though now I live by myself it's not so much fun :(

Not as bad as you would think once you train on uneven surfaces and dont take huge strides on the downhill sections (says the lad with the gamey knee :-D)

Great way to see the hidden areas of the mountains and countryside that you would never normally see. Can be breathtaking at times and right on our doorstep too. Really nice friendly bunch involved down here in Munster too

Have gone white-water rafting a few times on holidays. Seriously good fun if get a good fast run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

GAA is the main hobby here. Would have done an awful lot of fishing, hunting and snooker in my younger (single pre-kids) days but rarely get to them now.

It’s important though to keep at something and will always make time to get to games, both club and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ha Ormond, no flies on you. Yeah I’m not able to make it as I couldn’t trust myself to go there and not imbibe and then be in some sort of shape for the mountains on Saturday morning. This race has been on my radar for too long to jeopardise it despite the incentives.

Congratulations

Great achievement, well deserved !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I love crafts - knitting, patchwork, crochet. Also learned a few years how to do wood-turning, but as I haven't got my own lathe it's on the back-burner at the moment.
    I think I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis as I've spent a year studying and am in the middle of the second year - and the subject, do I hear anyone ask? - Theology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good God!!!

Are you considering becoming a church deacon from your studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Water John wrote: »
    Good God!!!

Are you considering becoming a church deacon from your studies?

I was ordained a deacon in September, will be priested next year if I don't mess up in the meantime! Maybe I should change my log in name to RevKatyMac, but then ye'd probably ban me from F&F

Great news. All Boardsies will want a blessing. Good for you.

It always amazes me the different and varied interests people have. Love hearing about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

KatyMac wrote: »
    I love crafts - knitting, patchwork, crochet. Also learned a few years how to do wood-turning, but as I haven't got my own lathe it's on the back-burner at the moment.
    I think I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis as I've spent a year studying and am in the middle of the second year - and the subject, do I hear anyone ask? - Theology.

Studied Theology for a few years. Terrible rubbish.

To each their own. Would you come here rubbishing the lads running up the sides of mountains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    To each their own. Would you come here rubbishing the lads running up the sides of mountains?

Ha, I won’t lie Walter - when I was reading about the lads running down mountains, and the possible injuries... I was thinking ‘FFS, that’s pure silliness!’ ;)

But you’re right, each to their own... :)

I will admit, farming is kinda my pastime - and I don’t get a whole pile of time at it. With work and then kids, I don’t know how lads fit in the time - fair play to ye...
    I wouldn’t mind something else when I get the time, not sure what... no interest whatsoever in sports, or running down mountains... ;)
    But, I guess you have to make time for these things...

Advertisement