Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

she needs to be shot with balls of her own ****e

snowflake overload

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you read the article? He as a randomer just marched up to this girl, said nothing and touched her arm.

I can see how she found that frightening.
    Do I think he should be locked up? No, as I understand he 'has issues', but I can absolutely understand how she was very afraid the second time he tried it.

The whole not speaking thing, I think, made it more creepy.

the exageration of how he was going to touch her breast is a bit far fetched, as for saying it ruined her chaces for Oxford hahaha

honestly, this generation is ruined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this lad is not actually going to get 10 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Poor chap. I can understand both sides here. I think the case should be thrown out however. No intentional harm here, the intent wasn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

No matter what the sentencing is, this guy's life will ruined.
    I am not taking away from what he did, or from the girls' trauma over the event, but criminal convictions for stuff like this is a world gone mad imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think I'll have to start to come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to get the ride ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'm guessing that this would not be an issue had she actually been smart enough to get into Oxford

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Suttree wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this lad is not actually going to get 10 years in prison.

The idea that he is even in a position to get a conviction is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭randd1

Suttree wrote: »

He could end up on the sex offenders register though.

Imagine that hanging over your life because you were an awkward eejit that touched the arm of a young wan?

He must be a bit simple. I reckon so is your wan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

you just left out half the story, gah Boards really needs to let you call out OPs like this for what they are
    She told the hearing: 'I saw him facing a hedge and I thought it was really weird. As I walked towards him, he suddenly swung round so he was facing me.

'As soon as he moved I moved and said: 'stop' and he touched my arm. I sort of jolted out of the way and went into the road to avoid him and he very quickly walked away.

'I think it would have been on my breast had I not moved. When it first happened I didn't think much of it. I forgot about it because I had my exams and just thought it was weird behaviour.'

She said she encountered Griffiths a second time: 'He suddenly moved to walk in front of me, looked me straight in the eye, touched me on my side and walked off.

'It was quite a while - three to five seconds. He smirked at me, he didn't stop he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying - it was quite traumatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

randd1 wrote: »
    He could end up on the sex offenders register though.

Imagine that hanging over your life because you were an awkward eejit that touched the arm of a young wan?

He must be a bit simple. I reckon so is your wan.

I struggle to see a court convicting like his unless they were fairly convinced he was actually trying to grope her and attempted it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

spurious wrote: »
    Did you read the article? He as a randomer just marched up to this girl, said nothing and touched her arm.

I can see how she found that frightening.
    Do I think he should be locked up? No, as I understand he 'has issues', but I can absolutely understand how she was very afraid the second time he tried it.

The whole not speaking thing, I think, made it more creepy.

From the article
    She told the hearing: 'I saw him facing a hedge and I thought it was really weird. As I walked towards him, he suddenly swung round so he was facing me.
    'As soon as he moved I moved and said: 'stop' and he touched my arm. I sort of jolted out of the way and went into the road to avoid him and he very quickly walked away.
    'I think it would have been on my breast had I not moved.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not a mandatory sentence. Sentencing has not taken place yet. Sensationalist newspaper headline alongside sensationalist thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

spurious wrote: »

I read the article.
    It said that they studied at the same school, and that he recognized her from the school.
    I am not sure that referring to him as a randomer is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

gwalk wrote: »
    the exageration of how he was going to touch her breast is a bit far fetched, as for saying it ruined her chaces for Oxford hahaha

honestly, this generation is ruined

I've no idea what his intention was. Maybe he was going for her beast and maybe he wasn't. They guy is obviously socially inept which isn't a crime but his behaviour which resulted might be a crime.

We know the guy saw the world in an unusual way and for all we know, the girl sees the world in an unusual way too. I don't dismiss the notion that she was affected by the incident because I don't claim to know what's going on in her head.

Sad for them both of they're both affected by the incident.

atticu wrote: »
    I read the article.
    It said that they studied at the same school, and that he recognized her from the school.
    I am not sure that referring to him as a randomer is correct.

He recognised her. He could still be randomer to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It’s nearly as if the Mail are trying to creative the narrative that sexual assault is nothing but a trivial complaint made by snowflake millennials with an agenda.

He just touched her arm in a hedge/he just touched her leg under a table...

I’ve no idea of the merits of the case and I certainly wouldn’t be basing any opinion of it on the reporting of a paper that backed (and you’d argue still would) the nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

spodoinkle wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7557947/Shy-awkward-student-19-faces-JAIL-sex-assault-conviction.html

the world is officially f*cked. My previous life of chatting up the ladies could have me facing the death penalty, I touched more arms than I can remember.

And you’re attempting to suggest the girl was over-reacting? :confused:

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Has this kids life been ruined for touching a girls arm? How can she seriously have reported this?

Only recently in another thread on here, the point was being made that the obligation was on girls to speak up and say no if they didn’t want to have sex. Here we have circumstances where a guy was told clearly - stop. He didn’t stop. The fault here isn’t with the girl who had to tell him to stop, it’s with the guy who didn’t stop to consider anyone but himself in the first place.

Kinda reminded me of something I’d posted in that same thread in relation to a programme that was on about these “PUA” idiots thinking it was ok for them to harass women in public -

I thought it might be interesting and switched over to watch it, but when I heard this just now -

“Even if she’s underage, it’s not illegal to stop someone”

That’s enough of that then. Creepy fcuks.

I thought at the time I’d happily see them do time for their attitudes. I don’t see the guy in the OP as any different - still making it all about himself and how he “just wanted to make friends” :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gwalk wrote: »
    she needs to be shot with balls of her own ****e

snowflake overload

You have spouted this nonsense so you can't be too bothered.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

He's obviously not socially adept, he's 19 and has no friends, he googled "How to make friends" In his awkwardness he touched a girl on the arm and on her side.

This is actually parody people joked that this would be the conclusion of this outrage, victimhood narrative and here we are. Sad

You have spouted this nonsense so you can't be too bothered.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SexBobomb wrote: »
    He's obviously not socially adept, he's 19 and has no friends, he googled "How to make friends" In his awkwardness he touched a girl on the arm and on her side.

This is actually parody people joked that this would be the conclusion of this outrage, victimhood narrative and here we are. Sad

How would she have known he had no friends, or googled how to make friends etc.

The first time, he stood in front of her, touched her arm and said nothing. If that was the end of it, she'd be wrong to have reported him. He then did it a second time, this time putting his hand on her side and smiling, again not saying anything and then walking away.

The poor guy clearly has issues, but they're not her fault, and to her this was a guy who stepped in front of her twice, put his hand on her and said nothing. That's creepy as f*ck and I don't blame her for being freaked out by it.

He obviously won't be sent to prison for 10 years. Anyone who thinks he'll see any jail time is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've no idea what his intention was. Maybe he was going for her beast and maybe he wasn't. .

That's the vag, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The bottom of the barrel has been breached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think I'll have to start to come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to get the ride ever again.
    Based on this incident? :confused:

Over-reaction by the girl (although he was being dodge, but not so dodge that he should be reported to the authorities imo).

Doubt he'll get ten years, but some of ye, maybe try to stand back and not use this as a stick to beat all women with. Thx

Penn wrote: »
    How would she have known he had no friends, or googled how to make friends etc.

The first time, he stood in front of her, touched her arm and said nothing. If that was the end of it, she'd be wrong to have reported him. He then did it a second time, this time putting his hand on her side and smiling, again not saying anything and then walking away.

The poor guy clearly has issues, but they're not her fault, and to her this was a guy who stepped in front of her twice, put his hand on her and said nothing. That's creepy as f*ck and I don't blame her for being freaked out by it.

He obviously won't be sent to prison for 10 years. Anyone who thinks he'll see any jail time is insane.

Completely agree. Prison won't make anything better for anyone. It would be pretty Important to risk assess the guy. Social lessons for the guy would be much more useful to everyone than prison.

Some people are profoundly socially inept. I live with someone who works In forensic psychology (criminals with learning difficulties) some of them don't even have theory of mind. That means they can't consider how other people feel. So they commit crimes and don't know what they've done wrong. Very sad.

From the info in the article we have no idea about his intent or if he intended to cause harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

The guy needs therapy for social anxiety or whatever he has going on.
    The girl needs therapy for what was an anxiety-provoking and traumatic encounter for her (we don't know her history, so in some context this may have been extremely traumatic for her).

It's not sexual assault. Sexual assault is not "he touched my arm and I think he would have touched my breast". It's not okay, but it's not sexual assault and it's not something to go to prison for. It was an awkward encounter wth a socially awkward young man who from what I can see was just trying to flirt with a girl he liked and got it wrong.

I really have issue with things like this getting blown up out of proportion. It only makes it even harder for real sexual assault cases to get the respect they deserve in the press and in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Penn wrote: »

Its in the newspaper and he's probably known now by everyone in his area as some kind of sexual assaulter, thats already too much punishment in my opinion.
    If this girl does feel attacked or unable to cope with this event then Im genuinely sorry for her and I hope she gets the help she needs but it certainly doesn’t sound like she’s ready to go off to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I really have issue with things like this getting blown up out of proportion. It only makes it even harder for real sexual assault cases to get the respect they deserve in the press and in court.

No it doesn’t? One has no bearing on the other. The prosecution and the magistrates who know the law and heard the evidence in this case determined that it constituted sexual assault. Therefore by that criteria, this was a real case of sexual assault, and it got the respect it deserved in Court.

Whatever way it is represented and reported in the media, and whatever anyone else chooses to make of it according to their own standards, is an entirely different matter.

Advertisement