Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's a cop out argument. Nothing will be done with your attitude.

Nothing will be done anyway.

The billions of people in Africa, Asia and South America, born and yet to be born - all of them want the lifestyle you have, and who are you to tell them they can't have it? Who is Greta?

You can walk into a supermarket and buy for pennies things shipped from across the globe, and fly there yourself for what you earn in a day. Your soggy paper straw is pointless.

You live close to the peak of human civilisation, just enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thargor wrote: »
    I get a very disturbing vibe from people like the OP and loons that show up ranting about her in any climate change threads, not suggesting paedophilia, but it's just bizarre that a young girl with an interest in environmentalism or politics triggers such intense negative feelings in so many adult males, this isn't just 'oh Leonardo DiCaprio or Al Gore are at it again', they're literally foaming at the mouth over it and flinging slurs at her and her family. Why? Something definitely not right about it.
    so the people unconvinced by this girl are the sinister weirdos rather than those exploiting and fawning over her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Nermal wrote: »
    It's a cop out argument. Nothing will be done with your attitude.

The billions of people in Africa, Asia and South America, born and yet to be born - all of them want the lifestyle you have, and who are you to tell them they can't have it? Who is Greta?

You can walk into a supermarket and buy for pennies things shipped from across the globe, and fly there yourself for what you earn in a day. Your soggy paper straw is pointless.

Meh... Nice bit of fatalism there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Why is the kid not in school?? I know it is the summer, but shes been droning on for months, if not years now.

She is actually in a gap year at the moment, but she also has tutors with her.

I personally think that she is an incredible young lady and I hope that her name continues to resonate and make positive noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

The child herself isn’t receiving ferocious criticism.

Not true, not correct.

• Advertisement

This child is being presented to the UN where they will be expected to appeal to a room full of middle-aged and old men so your notions that you get the creeps from her critics, also apply to those people who are pimping her out to old men to further their own beliefs.

Disgusting way to phrase your argument.

Anyway you haven't put one solid fact behind anything you've said. Just paranoid ranting about cults, and weird nonsense about Asperger's.

Disgusting way to phrase your argument

he's only responding to an earlier post which ran with the "I'm not saying her critics are paedophiles BUT...." argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You may not have but the UN and Forbes had. You seem to love him but have an issue with the female activist :eek:

I seem to love a guy I've never heard of before. That's, interesting, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Disgusting way to phrase your argument.

Anyway you haven't put one solid fact behind anything you've said. Just paranoid ranting about cults, and weird nonsense about Asperger's.

I was giving my opinion in response to other people’s opinions and suddenly you’re looking for a factual discussion?

Get in the boat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why is her coming from a wealthy background problematic for people? Ok so rich people are more empowered to make more environmentally friendly choices because our economy is set up to make unsustainable choices cheap. That's why she speaks to world leaders rather than ordinary folks who have less options at their disposal.
    Ingmar rentzhog published her mother’s book the same time Greta hit the headlines and he just so happens to have worldwide media connections. Her mother is an opera singer and her father an actor her grandfather was also famous. Even though she comes from a wealthy family she dresses like an 8 year old pauper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

seamus wrote: »
    Honestly, the economics are irrelevant.

It's like complaining about the price of a Big Mac while the ocean waves are banging up against the front door of the McDonalds.

No, nobody can really make the change quickly, and governments need to work on ways to assist.

But we also need to wake up to the reality that this is not going to be easy. Our costs are going to go up. Our standard of living will probably drop, we'll probably all move back to having one car, not two. We cannot continue living our lives the way we do, and combat climate change.

We will have to change the way we live our lives, because otherwise it's all for nothing.

All the complaints that you can't afford an eco-friendly car for your kids, or that your chinese-made iPhone has 50% carbon tax on it will seem ridiculous when you have to watch your grandchildren face the prospect of actual extinction within their lifetimes.

Economics are the whole point.
    Because if they weren't, then we could all make these changes tomorrow.It is because of the economics that these changes will be so slow to come and why it is so hard to push them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Nermal wrote: »

Back to the Stone everyone, you’re worst than any apocalypse prophet.

he's only responding to an earlier post which ran with the "I'm not saying her critics are paedophiles BUT...." argument

Well not exactly but yeah that's also weird and disgusting.

shesty wrote: »
    Economics are the whole point.
    Because if they weren't, then we could all make these changes tomorrow.It is because of the economics that these changes will be so slow to come and why it is so hard to push them.

Sadly this is very true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He gets alot of media attention. Him being ignored is all in your head.

Bollocks!
    ask anyone on the street have you heard about GT - must will have, ask about Slatt most won't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So did Boyan Slat - and he started a company that is cleaning up the oceans plastic, and it's working !!

No one gives a sh1t about him tho, he doesn't virtue signal enough.
    And I know I am banging his drum a lot, but it really pisses me off that he gets FA regognition!

Not really. There are several reports as to how the device failed and part of it broke apart. Maybe it will be fixed but it is not looking too good for it.

Also, that shifts the focus to clean up rather than prevention.

Greta is trying to focus peoples attention to moving towards the most preferred action in terms in reducing impact on the climate.

1200px-Waste_hierarchy.svg.png

Boyan's system (while laudible) still would suggest that using excessive packaging and single use plastics is ok as long as we can clean up the mess. That is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bollocks!
    ask anyone on the street have you heard about GT - must will have, ask about Slatt most won't have a clue

Has it something to do with he's not courting media or public attention.

Most people know will have heard about elon musk but feck all people can tell you about Nikola Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ordinary people : “I think this is a bit alarmist”
    Climate tax grabbers : “harassing children again i see”
    Ordinary people : “but maybe we need to try other things except taxes or focus on nuclear”
    Climate tax grabbers : “look, theyre assaulting young girls on the internet”
    Ordinary people : “im just saying china and africa have a lot to answer for, we need solutions that arent just middle class cash grabs”
    Climate tax grabbers : “why dont you pick on somebody who’s not a young girl with a disability”

Basically their entire strategy with greta

Yes.. And there are people who haven't heard of Greta thuneberg before this thread.

He isn't being ignored. As the other poster is claiming.

Everyone has heard of her. No idea who this other guy (girl?) is, and I'm pretty active on the auld social media.

It's all too predictable the people on this thread trying to undermine Greta's message.

No doubt they agree with Kelly's view. Smart and capable lady of course, just reccently nominated to represent USA in UN.............:eek:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1099115117436960768

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

She's wasting her time with Trump but it's the general public that are our best hope and if she helps sway a few of them, great.

The powers that be are only interested in the environment if they can make money on it. That's why the go to is always taxes and charges. They could just as easily give incentives for solar power and the like. I'd be okay with FG giving Dinny the sole solar power supply contract for the country if it was a genuine help to the environment, chances are they'd want to meter your solar panel the more sun you soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    No it's not. It's highlighting that the biggest challenge of our times needs more than a bunch of rich people swanning around in their super yachts to solve it.

We have a global economy based on ever increasing consumption. This model will have to be removed or significantly reformed to address climate change. The Thunberg family and their friends are part of the elite of this system, they profit from it and perpetuate it, and real change will not come from them.
    This is the biggest problem we face. We can't build our way out of over consumption.

xckjoo wrote: »
    This is the biggest problem we face. We can't build our way out of over consumption.

That's it in a nut shell.

And any reduction in consumption will mean a reduction in tax revenue earned. We are in a position where the government doesn't have enough money to spend so it is caught in a catch 22 of offering incentives which would both cost money and result in reduced income and likely having to cut spending or services which is giving the electorate a stick to beat them with.

Ideally, we, as a society would work towards change but mob mentality has us ploughing along and saying someone else should fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Yes.. And there are people who haven't heard of Greta thuneberg before this thread.

He isn't being ignored. As the other poster is claiming.

Everyone has heard of her. No idea who this other guy (girl?) is, and I'm pretty active on the auld social media.

He's been featured on the BBC and Time magazines. Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's unknown.

It's all too predictable the people on this thread trying to undermine Greta's message.

No doubt they agree with Kelly's view. Smart and capable lady of course, just reccently nominated to represent USA in UN.............:eek:

I’m not trying to undermine “Greta’s message”, jesus, really? Environmental issues have been a thing since the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions, equally doomsayers have been around since then too, it was never just “Greta’s message”. I’ve known about these issues since I was indeed Greta’s age myself.

I disagree with the people who are promoting their doomsayer nonsense like “Extinction Rebellion” and so on, with the latest scientific evidence suggesting that the one thing which individuals can do which will have the greatest impact on reducing human consumption and benefitting the environment, is to have less children -

The climate mitigation gap: education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions

Factually scientific of course, but they’re completely nuts :pac:

I’m not trying to undermine “Greta’s message”, jesus, really? Environmental issues have been a thing since the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions, equally doomsayers have been around since then too, it was never just “Greta’s message”. I’ve known about these issues since I was indeed Greta’s age myself.

I disagree with the people who are promoting their doomsayer nonsense like “Extinction Rebellion” and so on, with the latest scientific evidence suggesting that the one thing which individuals can do which will have the greatest impact on reducing human consumption and benefitting the environment, is to have less children -

The climate mitigation gap: education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions

Factually scientific of course, but they’re completely nuts :pac:

I think it's fair to call it's Greta's message on a thread in which she is the subject of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I love the way she's ruffling so many feathers. A little girl speaking from a place of power seems to be just too much for some peoples inflated egos.
    She is a great role model for young people and her message, how I receive it anyway, is to take responsibility, take action and challenge dysfunctional authority. Rock and roll is dead and the next generation need people who push against the establishment to look up to. I look up to her and im 39!

Ordinary people : “I think this is a bit alarmist”
    Climate tax grabbers : “harassing children again i see”
    Ordinary people : “but maybe we need to try other things except taxes or focus on nuclear”
    Climate tax grabbers : “look, theyre assaulting young girls on the internet”
    Ordinary people : “im just saying china and africa have a lot to answer for, we need solutions that arent just middle class cash grabs”
    Climate tax grabbers : “why dont you pick on somebody who’s not a young girl with a disability”

Basically their entire strategy with greta
    that's an extremely cynical assessment.

cynical and accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lyanna Mormont Frozen style, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

• Advertisement

I think it's fair to call it's Greta's message on a thread in which she is the subject of the discussion.

Yeah I suppose fair point and I can see where you’re coming from now when you explain it that way, but I disagree that it is and ever was “Greta’s message” as though she’s coming up with the ideas behind the message.

She’s having her strings pulled there by the adults surrounding her and elevating her to carry their message to a Western audience on the political and social stages that would make a world renowned puppet master blush.

I do agree with your earlier points generally though about the need to change attitudes and human behaviours in order to create a culture that cares about environmental issues. I also think that between the Agricultural, Industrial and now the Technological Evolution (as opposed to revolution, because technology isn’t that revolutionary, it’s evolutionary) that mankind is both contributing to the demise of our environment, and to the perpetuation and survival of humanity, and the survival of humanity will always win out over concerns about the environment or our natural ecosystem.

Just look at how the WHO were scoffed at when they suggested that a plant based diet was healthy alternative to our current diets and how it was also healthier for the environment - inarguably scientific and factually based, totally plausible at least. But it places a greater burden on Governments and individuals to change their current lifestyles that they have become accustomed to, and that’s why the argument that those measures would force humanity to return to the Stone Age is such a powerful one - because that’s the reality of it. Humans would need to be extinct in order to actually effect any sort of positive effect on our environment.

Who are we supposed to be saving the environment for if saving the environment means the extinction of the human species? It’s not future generations of humanity anyway, we know that much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement