Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I’m listening to that too. Very good. I had to skip a few, especially when kids are being mistreated. The Elaine o Hara case here in Ireland is on it. Some work by the Garda who kept investigating the case. The killer was all but away and clear. Another good one I listened to was called the catholic Mafia. It’s set in Australia. The clergy were more powerful there than anyone too and protected by the police.

Ya i skipped a few of those too.
    The silk road was my favourite one, riveting listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Casefile. True crime podcast not for everyone but if you like it its addictive.

Yes, thanks for the lead.

I listened to a podcast for the first time yesterday.
    https://casefilepodcast.com/case-93-susan-snow-and-bruce-nickell/

Later I was listening to the Elaine O'Hara Case, and inadvertently hit the exit button. Is it possible to fast forwarding a podcast and avoid having to back the beginning of the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I’m listening to that too. Very good. I had to skip a few, especially when kids are being mistreated. The Elaine o Hara case here in Ireland is on it. Some work by the Garda who kept investigating the case. The killer was all but away and clear. Another good one I listened to was called the catholic Mafia. It’s set in Australia. The clergy were more powerful there than anyone too and protected by the police.

Decided to skip 19 and 20 myself for that reason. Australia is a very f#cked up place for sure that one about the incident in Aberdeen was madness but those two swedish twins was probably one of the strangest ive heard so far.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Bit of a road trip yesterday. Had to go to Ballyjamesduff to pick up something for herself for xmas. Bit of a trek from Clare but it was nice to see a different part of the country. Some nice pockets of land along the way. Stopped in Cooneys in Ballymahon on the way home for a bit of grub. Was very nice in there I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭straight

Parishlad wrote: »
    Bit of a road trip yesterday. Had to go to Ballyjamesduff to pick up something for herself for xmas. Bit of a trek from Clare but it was nice to see a different part of the country. Some nice pockets of land along the way. Stopped in Cooneys in Ballymahon on the way home for a bit of grub. Was very nice in there I have to say.

What did you do wrong say that you had to go to all the trouble for her present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That list would be longer than Santa's IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

straight wrote: »
    What did you do wrong say that you had to go to all the trouble for her present

What did I do wrong? I farm part time....

I now have enough brownie points in the bank to keep me going until February! :)
    Will need a top up again though to get me through the calving season! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Guys would there be a reason calves won’t drink a teat off a cow? Cow has two massive teats and one tiny nub and a normal sized one. I’m putting an extra calf on the cow and every time I latch the calf on to that teat they give a couple of sucks and come off it. I’ve milked it out and plenty of milk in it and both calves are having the same reaction. I washed the teat this morning as I thought that might be the issue but still no joy. Although I did have the amusing spectacle of the two of them trying to drink the same teat and actually succeeding!! Any ideas? She has loads of milk but I’m slightly worried about her tearing two calves if it’s effectively on two teats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Put a bit of honey on the teat. Might be a different shape to the teat he has been used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is it the teeny one they're not sucking? A back tit? You could try what I've seen online (not practiced!!) & put a strap over the cow & use a bra to 'cup' the front (or backs) tits so they're forced to drink.

Is it the teeny one they're not sucking? A back tit? You could try what I've seen online (not practiced!!) & put a strap over the cow & use a bra to 'cup' the front (or backs) tits so they're forced to drink.
    It’s a smaller one-I’ve given up on the tiny one as I can barely grip it!! Prob norm size if her other two weren’t so massive!!
    It’s just odd as it’s with both calves and both suck three or four times before pulling away-while on the other two, once they are on, god help you dislodging them! I could use honey but it seems more like it was the taste of the milk if That makes sense!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Would they be chewing the cud with that too?

They could try. You'd often find them with silage in their mouth. Hungry but unable to chew, ruminate or swallow properly.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

L1985 wrote: »
    Guys would there be a reason calves won’t drink a teat off a cow? Cow has two massive teats and one tiny nub and a normal sized one. I’m putting an extra calf on the cow and every time I latch the calf on to that teat they give a couple of sucks and come off it. I’ve milked it out and plenty of milk in it and both calves are having the same reaction. I washed the teat this morning as I thought that might be the issue but still no joy. Although I did have the amusing spectacle of the two of them trying to drink the same teat and actually succeeding!! Any ideas? She has loads of milk but I’m slightly worried about her tearing two calves if it’s effectively on two teats.

This is what I do with sucklers here. If the calf isnt drinking some teats, I cover the good teat with my flat hand and leave them with no choice but to drink the other teat. Usually do it at say, a week old when calf hasnt worked onto the back teats. Usually with quiet cows so be careful.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

greysides wrote: »
    Currently using the old version of the Cooper Discoverer AT3 on the LandCruiser and very happy with them. Either 49 or 56K moles on the ones I'm replacing (I think it's 56K). The old pattern is no longer available and the local garage is stocking Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S instead. Pattern seems similar. In fact, comparing them I can't find a difference.

497598.jpg

Has anyone has them long enough to give an opinion of them?

Are they for off roading or something? Otherwise what could one be doing to form an opinion on tyres apart from "bald" or "knock a few more miles out of them"?

This is what I do with sucklers here. If the calf isnt drinking some teats, I cover the good teat with my flat hand and leave them with no choice but to drink the other teat. Usually do it at say, a week old when calf hasnt worked onto the back teats. Usually with quiet cows so be careful.

I do do that but firstly the teat is so big it’s hard to cover and as soon as I pull away my hand the calf hops off it. What worked This evening was the two calves side by side and one calf wouldn’t give up the favoured teat so it did get drank a bit more but the calf does still pull away and goes back to it . Just have never seen it before so was wondering if it was the start of mastitis or something!

I do do that but firstly the teat is so big it’s hard to cover and as soon as I pull away my hand the calf hops off it. What worked This evening was the two calves side by side and one calf wouldn’t give up the favoured teat so it did get drank a bit more but the calf does still pull away and goes back to it . Just have never seen it before so was wondering if it was the start of mastitis or something!

I'd say, it's just the milk coming quicker on the bigger teat.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Never thought I’d post this, but any chance of a photo of the teats?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

Odelay wrote: »

Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'd say, it's just the milk coming quicker on the bigger teat.
    +1
    Maybe they are like piglets - the teat that they suckle from first is "their" teat and remains that way until they are weaned.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Is this after hours??!!!!
    Lol I’ll actually try take one tomorrow. And try remember how to upload them....
    It’s Deff not a piglet thing as they swap sides. I just was curious and I’m trying to decide if to take the foster off her because they are only using two teats as well.

Is this after hours??!!!!
    Lol I’ll actually try take one tomorrow. And try remember how to upload them....
    It’s Deff not a piglet thing as they swap sides. I just was curious and I’m trying to decide if to take the foster off her because they are only using two teats as well.
    I'm a bit confused. Are they sucking from the two big teats and fighting over the normal sized one or are they only sucking from the normal sized one and ignoring the two big teats.

Base price wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Are they sucking from the two big teats and fighting over the normal sized one or are they only sucking from the normal sized one and ignoring the two big teats.

Neither!!
    Sucking from the two big teats and just won’t latch on to the normal one at all. Every time I put them on it they do a couple of sucks and pull their head away and try go back to the big teat. There is milk coming but it’s like it doesn’t taste nice or something. Both calves have done it.

IMO unless either one is bawling/empty I would leave them to sort it out themselves. Just keep an eye on the smaller/younger calf in case the older stronger one is robbing all the milk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Are they for off roading or something? Otherwise what could one be doing to form an opinion on tyres apart from "bald" or "knock a few more miles out of them"?

Off-roading ability is not important to me. Road holding, dealing with rain, braking and longevity are. I found the older ones good in those areas.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see that dosing products for stomach worms and fluke will require a prescription from 2022.

Edit. https://www.farmersjournal.ie/animal-dosing-products-to-require-prescription-from-2022-516066

Every day is a school day.

5638f775dd08957b788b463e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The cabbage is apparently descended from a plant that prefers to grow in salt marsh - its wild ancestor is pretty rare nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Girls are experimenting with home made frozen pizzas for “fast” yet healthy foods.

Food is a big deal for us here, we talk about it allot, and the kitchen is rarely empty, or completely clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

_Brian wrote: »
    Girls are experimenting with home made frozen pizzas for “fast” yet healthy foods.

Food is a big deal for us here, we talk about it allot, and the kitchen is rarely empty, or completely clean.

That's a really good idea. I normally batch cook & freeze, then forget what's in the freezer & buy more stuff to batch cook :D:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement