Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

• 02-07-2019 3:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

They're sending MEPs to Europe to pocket our money while turning their backs and acting the bollocks.

The door is open, why are they taking so long to leave?

Mod warnings, updated 21/12/19
    Beasty wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Thanks
    Beasty wrote: »
    From now on if posters refer to other posters as "remoaners" they can expect sanction and/or post deletion.

There is no reason discussion cannot be civil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because they want their choice to be somebody else’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's complicated.

Anyone who thinks it's straightforward (or that any future relationship won't be impacted by this phase) doesn't understand the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

endacl wrote: »
    Because they want their choice to be somebody else’s fault.

This. The British are well known for blaming others for their treaty breaking. And they'll blame us.

I would not be surprised if civil war erupts in the UK, and not just in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This. The British are well known for blaming others for their treaty breaking. And they'll blame us.

I would not be surprised if civil war erupts in the UK, and not just in NI.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The EU are a disgrace, if it wasnt for them stalling, the Brits would be gone now and another nail would be in the EU's coffin. Roll on Oct 31's here's hoping for a hard Brexit, screw the border, the EU must crumble quicky at any cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The EU are a disgrace, ...

How so?
    Roll on Oct 31's here's hoping for a hard Brexit, screw the border, the EU must crumble quicky at any cost.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mulbot

Since when has there been an EU anthem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see how they can leave to be honest. The scale of what they have to do, the regulatory bodies they have to create from scratch, the legislation. It's like how a honey bee's sting causes it to rip out its own internal organs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

mulbot wrote: »
    Since when has there been an EU anthem?

In 1785 Friedrich Schiller wrote the poem "An die Freude'' as a celebration of the brotherhood of man. In 1824 Beethoven wrote the music.

Its a celebration of peace and the brotherhood of man. Both the poet and the composer wanted it to be a gift to people. "This kiss to the entire world"
    The poem talking of Joy being the motivator.

It's lyrics are about running to the goal of being united with joy being our motivator.

Joy will embrace everyone. And we will all be brothers and sisters.

It was adopted in 1972.

The alternative title is ''all men shall be brothers. ''

It's refrain is 'All men shall be brothers'.

Brexiters of course have turned their backs on Beethoven!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/02/brexit-party-meps-turn-their-backs-european-anthem-ode-to-joy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The EU are a disgrace, if it wasnt for them stalling, the Brits would be gone now and another nail would be in the EU's coffin. Roll on Oct 31's here's hoping for a hard Brexit, screw the border, the EU must crumble quicky at any cost.

I'm reading this post in Sammy Wilsons voice.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I'm reading this post in Sammy Wilsons voice.

Sammy is too busy letting it all hang out on holidays around this time of year

• Balanadan wrote: »
    They're sending MEPs to Europe to pocket our money while turning their backs and acting the bollocks.

The door is open, why are they taking so long to leave?

I remember years ago going to see John O'Conor play Beethoven's piano stuff in the NCH. It was great while it lasted. However, by the time John came back for a fifth round of applause at the end I'd say I wasn't the only one thinking "Oh fúck, not another one". Likewise with Brexit: world-beating attention-seeking drama queens. And that's an ineffably kinder description than they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The biggest argument against democracy is the common voter...

Carry wrote: »
    How so?

Why?

Simple, it does not care about democracy. I used to be pro EU by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's complicated.

Anyone who thinks it's straightforward (or that any future relationship won't be impacted by this phase) doesn't understand the subject.

In other words anyone who voted for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's going on for too long now

branie2 wrote: »
    It's going on for too long now

The puppet masters put a remainer in charge for that very reason. If someone with some balls had been at the helm the brits would have long left by now. Tell the EU "your deal is terrible, give us a better one or we leave with none at all. Oh and by the way we will be keeping our 39 billion, bye" thats how it should have gone. None of the scaremongering would have come to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 80,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Boris J will make it all ok, lol.

The puppet masters put a remainer in charge for that very reason. If someone with some balls had been at the helm the brits would have long left by now. Tell the EU "your deal is terrible, give us a better one or we leave with none at all. Oh and by the way we will be keeping our 39 billion, bye" thats how it should have gone. None of the scaremongering would have come to pass

Here's why that is BS.

The UK negotiated the deal in the WA over several months. They proposed backstop solution.
    The 39B is money already owed, it's not a fee or anything like that.

If this was an individual divorce, it would be comparable if there were only about 200 people in the world, you were going to have to live beside your ex after ye have separated and look after children ye had together and you didn't owe them any money (which you admitted you owed) at the time of divorce.

Now, in that scenario, how conducive would it be to having a healthy future relationship (with anyone) if everyone was watching as you refused to pay your debt, reneged on any deal and was just screaming 'I want, I want, I want'? Remember, there are only 200 or so people in the entire world (representing number of countries in real life) and you can't just pack your bags and move, you have to stay living in the same house, in the same corner of the estate you've been in all your life.

That's why everyone is talking about the UK looking for unicorns, what they want (and what you've suggested they do) is magical make belief, in the real world.

Your "comparable situation" makes no sense despite re-reading it several times

Also, there are a number of reasons why there is no need to pay the divorce bill. Even if they had to pay it, a PM with any balls would just walk away from it.

• Advertisement

Your "comparable situation" makes no sense despite re-reading it several times

Also, there are a number of reasons why there is no need to pay the divorce bill. Even if they had to pay it, a PM with any balls would just walk away from it.

I'll refer you to my earlier post then.
    It's complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah all that's needed is more balls

Its not complicated at all. The people voted to leave so leave in March and deal with the fallout (if any) after.

We voted no to Lisbon so the answer is no, end of. It is the EU who drags their feet on this stuff, there are plenty of examples

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah all that's needed is more balls

Im glad the next PM will be a man.

Im glad the next PM will be a man.

Come on, you can do better than that to try to rise people.
    That's senior enfants level of trolling.
    I am sure you can do better. I believe in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't

No sorry I worded it wrong. I mean, a woman will generally be more agreeable than a man. That is one of the reasons I think May failed. A male PM will be less likley to put up with the EU's bs. I'm not trolling, I'm talking about well established personality traits between the sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Do you have any idea what that would mean for the British economy? How do you think the EU would respond?

• No sorry I worded it wrong. I mean, a woman will generally be more agreeable than a man. That is one of the reasons I think May failed. A male PM will be less likley to put up with the EU's bs. I'm not trolling, I'm talking about well established personality traits between the sexes.

Okay :confused::confused:
    Angela Merkel says "guten tag"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No sorry I worded it wrong. I mean, a woman will generally be more agreeable than a man. That is one of the reasons I think May failed. A male PM will be less likley to put up with the EU's bs. I'm not trolling, I'm talking about well established personality traits between the sexes.

Wait, you think some one like Boris Johnson is more responsible and tough thinking than Theresa May? I have no love for May, but you're seriously deluding yourself if you think that's true.

I'm genuinely curious why you dislike the EU? The MEP's are voted in, the vast majority of things the EU has done have been very beneficial to Ireland and the Irish people.

Most of the bad things that have happened here are directly the fault of our own Government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement