Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Absoolutely Foundered. Cannot warm up at all.

I looked up a number of definitions of the word foundered and can say with certainty I have no idea how any of them apply to this sentence. Was it a predictive text error?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First World problem.
    When newspaper online include your Tweets!

• Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I looked up a number of definitions of the word foundered and can say with certainty I have no idea how any of them apply to this sentence. Was it a predictive text error?

Said in the north to mean really freezin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Absolutely flusomnia'd. Even rest isn't restorative.

[waits to see if mistur rig looks it up]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Said in the north to mean really freezin'!

Yep, BB is correct. It's one of my favourite nordieisms. Means you're really really really cold. I've thankfully warmed up now.

TA for today is that I don't have enough money to go on all the nice cruises I want to. I really should stop looking them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    My niece and nephews (late teens to early twenties ) refer to black and white films as greyscale! Impossible to explain to them that I grew up with a 'greyscale' telly!
    That is annoying, but I bet they'd also spell it 'grayscale', because we're nearly American now.

When I was a student in the early 90s, even back then, my much younger sister used to wonder why I was always watching the black and white films on Channel 4 (usually) when she can home from primary school. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People who tag on/off at the leap validator and then stand in front of it as they put their card back in their wallet/purse. Just tag and get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

when people ask are you from the country and you respond - Ireland?

and they look at you like you are on drugs... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I woke up and checked my phone this morning and I thought it read 4.10.
    I rolled over and about a minute later thought I'd best check it again.
    Lucky I did because it was 7.10.
    My TA is how it felt like I had 3 hours of extra sleep ripped from my grasp.

So tired!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ta'd at feeling blue over things I can't change/have no control over.

Ta'd at having to give fedex money :mad:

• Advertisement

Bitchiness, jealousy and spite.

Not a great way to start a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My last two weekly shopping trips to Sainsburys have yielded no oat milk. Clean sold out. I went back on Sunday especially to find just 4 cartons left on the shelf- I bought the lot. Might start selling it on the black market.

I have been drinking it for over 12 months now with my morning porridge and then a national newspaper a few weeks ago prints an article about oat milk being the most ethically sourced of the new trendy milks- cue rush to buy it.

God I am so middle class with such first world problems...:(

Even my wife says I need to start playing football again or hanging around with tradesmen/white van drivers or something to get more blokey...the runner club is just too poncey.

Start watching Sky Sports in the pub while drinking lager on a Sunday followed by curry and a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Americans and their continued insistence on mangling the English language. A substance is not 'addicting' it's fcuking addictive. Likewise, a large spoonful of something is heaped, not, lord help and preserve us, 'heaping'.

Also, my housemate, who insists on spelling yay "Yhey". I can't even begin to wrap my head around that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Boards sees an non Irish IP and wants to make sure you're not up to no good.

Got around it easily with another browser with an in built little gimmick. Like the ‘bad guys’ do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People who keep talking to me even though I have a cold and just want to sit and be alone. It's uncomfortable and an effort to try to talk normally while all congested and with a sore throat etc. Trying to avoid vowels and "m" sounds because they come out so nasal sounding. Eugh just stop talking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Deja Boo wrote: »
    flusomnia'd.

[waits to see if mistur rig looks it up]

Ah here. Everyone knows what that means ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Americans and their continued insistence on mangling the English language. A substance is not 'addicting' it's fcuking addictive. Likewise, a large spoonful of something is heaped, not, lord help and preserve us, 'heaping'.

Also, my housemate, who insists on spelling yay "Yhey". I can't even begin to wrap my head around that one.

Is that some form of a concatenation of "ye" and "they"?

• My last two weekly shopping trips to Sainsburys have yielded no oat milk. Clean sold out. I went back on Sunday especially to find just 4 cartons left on the shelf- I bought the lot. Might start selling it on the black market.

I have been drinking it for over 12 months now with my morning porridge and then a national newspaper a few weeks ago prints an article about oat milk being the most ethically sourced of the new trendy milks- cue rush to buy it.

God I am so middle class with such first world problems...:(

Even my wife says I need to start playing football again or hanging around with tradesmen/white van drivers or something to get more blokey...the runner club is just too poncey.

Start watching Sky Sports in the pub while drinking lager on a Sunday followed by curry and a fight.

Is that it? I can't find any either. Wrecking my head. Regardless of ethical concerns, both soya and almond make me feel sick so I can't drink them. I'm using rice milk at the moment because I can't get my hands on oat milk. Very TA.

Is that it? I can't find any either. Wrecking my head. Regardless of ethical concerns, both soya and almond make me feel sick so I can't drink them. I'm using rice milk at the moment because I can't get my hands on oat milk. Very TA.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/28/what-plant-milk-should-i-drink-almond-killing-bees-aoe

I live in England now so not sure of the dealio in Ireland.

I work 10 miles away in a total dump and the local ASDA does not even sell soya- just ordinary milk. Let's just say the locals would struggle to spell the word milk.

I went from soya to oat. I tried almond in smoothies for a time but never took to it. My vegan buddy has suggested hazelnut and cashew but I am happy with oat for the moment.

• https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/28/what-plant-milk-should-i-drink-almond-killing-bees-aoe

I live in England now so not sure of the dealio in Ireland.

I work 10 miles away in a total dump and the local ASDA does not even sell soya- just ordinary milk. Let's just say the locals would struggle to spell the word milk.

I went from soya to oat. I tried almond in smoothies for a time but never took to it. My vegan buddy has suggested hazelnut and cashew but I am happy with oat for the moment.

Oh yeah I see now you said sainsburys! I'm not great with nuts so my hunt for oat continues! Will stock up when I find some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dial Hard wrote: »

Don't start! 'I could care less' is one that gets my goat, they are saying that they actually do care about it then?
    'Deplane' is another one. After Katrina GW Bush said it would take a long time to 'dewater' New Orleans. Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My washing machine has broken down. Won't start a new cycle or unlock the door so I can get the last load out. Blooming expensive things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Have you tried plugging it out and in again?..

...Seriously - mine went wonky like two years ago and I did that. Has been running fine since.

Have you tried plugging it out and in again?..

...Seriously - mine went wonky like two years ago and I did that. Has been running fine since.

Yes :( Its funny, that fixed many problems, but not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

Yes :( Its funny, that fixed many problems, but not this time.

Can be worth a google of your specific model number maybe... I've had that issue in the past with dodgy washing machines/circuit boards, and sometimes there are options to do a manual reset, holding down certain buttons in certain orders etc?

I had a machine that used to do it the odd time, plugging out, and leaving for a minute would work sometimes, but otherwise I'd have to google the magic sequence of buttons and it would work?

Hoping it's not fully kaput though, my TA is also at appliances not working - my fridge packed in and no saving it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Don't start! 'I could care less' is one that gets my goat, they are saying that they actually do care about it then?
    'Deplane' is another one. After Katrina GW Bush said it would take a long time to 'dewater' New Orleans. Give me strength.

How about 'efforting'? 'We have been efforting to resolve this issue for two weeks'. I heard that one on the Dr Phil show (I know, I know - please don't judge me harshly. My enjoyment of it is entirely ironic, honest).

I'm not sure I could restrain myself if someone used the 'word' in real life. 'Please excuse my contorted face and clenched fists, I'm efforting not to punch you to death. '

lucalux wrote: »
    Can be worth a google of your specific model number maybe... I've had that issue in the past with dodgy washing machines/circuit boards, and sometimes there are options to do a manual reset, holding down certain buttons in certain orders etc?

I had a machine that used to do it the odd time, plugging out, and leaving for a minute would work sometimes, but otherwise I'd have to google the magic sequence of buttons and it would work?

Hoping it's not fully kaput though, my TA is also at appliances not working - my fridge packed in and no saving it :(

That's great to know. I'll look into it. Thank you

I finally got to grips with the correct usage of the apostrophe a number of years ago. Okay I should have made an effort sooner.

Of course all I see now is apostrophe misuse. Everywhere. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Would you not just make it? :confused:

Mix 1 cup of rolled oats with 4 cups of water , blend on high speed for 30 seconds , strain it through a strainer or a clean cotton cloth . Hey presto your own Oat Milk in about 2 minutes.........for free !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That one really bugs me, if anyone with half a brain stopped to think about it they'd realise it made no sense whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement