Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone recommend a personal self-defence trainer in Dublin?

• 12-01-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Been interested in doing some self-defence training for quite some time but haven't really known where to start. I did one or two group self-defence classes before but the differing levels in experience and fitness within the group made it hard to really make the most of it.

Has anyone here done 1:1 self-defence training with an instructor or school that they would recommend? My aims are just to learn some basic techniques to improve my self-confidence, not to become an expert fighter.

Cheers,
    Francis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Been interested in doing some self-defence training for quite some time but haven't really known where to start. I did one or two group self-defence classes before but the differing levels in experience and fitness within the group made it hard to really make the most of it.

Has anyone here done 1:1 self-defence training with an instructor or school that they would recommend? My aims are just to learn some basic techniques to improve my self-confidence, not to become an expert fighter.

Cheers,
    Francis

And risk setting yourself up with a false sense of security.

I can see absolutely little or no value in training self defense one on one with an instructor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think one to one coaching with a good teacher of BJJ, MMA, boxing, muay thai or whatever could be a really beneficial thing for someone who feels like they want to learn some self defence and improve their confidence, actually.

We can argue that really a lot of self defence is about making lifestyle changes or cultivating a particular mindset, and I would agree with that, but it's also possible to start training in a combat sport and simultaneously improve your fitness, your self confidence and, yes, maybe your ability to defend yourself against some kinds of assault if it came to it. If someone expresses an interest I would say 'go for it', especially if the alternative is to just plod on feeling anxious or wondering about it.

One to one coaching is an expensive way to approach it, but in principle I don't see a problem with it. I have known a couple of older people in the gym who did a number of privates first before taking the plunge into the main beginner BJJ classes, and I think it works particularly well if it can be afforded.

For reference, I have seen private coaching at all price points... 75 euro per session, 150 euro for three sessions, 500 euro for 10 sessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thingwall104

Thanks Black Sheep

For the record, I actually tried a few group classes once and got minimal benefit from it. The group was of mixed ability and of mixed physical fitness. I'm actually a reasonable sportsman and quite fit, just have never done any self-defence.

The trainer knew his stuff but there were around 15 in the class so I never really knew if I was doing stuff well or not and had the feeling I would learn a lot more in a much shorter time.

Have you seen anything you'd particularly recommend by any chances?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks Black Sheep

For the record, I actually tried a few group classes once and got minimal benefit from it. The group was of mixed ability and of mixed physical fitness. I'm actually a reasonable sportsman and quite fit, just have never done any self-defence.

The trainer knew his stuff but there were around 15 in the class so I never really knew if I was doing stuff well or not and had the feeling I would learn a lot more in a much shorter time.

Have you seen anything you'd particularly recommend by any chances?

Based on what you’re saying I would probably try a session with a coach in a combat sport based near you or your work. And see if you like it. You might hate striking but love grappling, won’t know till you try.

For Muay Thai I have seen Tony Olin (Lionheart, right in the north city Centre) do really good 1 to 1 sessions. Very friendly guys in there but hard workers.

In BJJ you can take your pick... I won’t plug where I train but I see that East Coast Jiu Jitsu (South Dublin) has coaches doing a lot of privates at different prices based on their grade... All proven competitors and I have met guys who go out there for them and gave the thumbs up.

But depends where you’re located really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thingwall104

Thank you Black Sheep - very useful advise. I'll follow up on a few of these leads. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement