Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

AP2014 wrote: »
    Don't have exact weights but they were very light bullocks around 280kg...5 were around the 320kg and cost the 850. All very average cattle.

Hard to pick up anything any less in money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Willfarman wrote: »
    Hard to pick up anything any less in money.

I was on the verge of going for a few aax or hex but dealer managed to get another load of continentals a few weeks ago. He was surprised he got them himself, said it was hell to buy them. Be interesting to see how they do compared to last year which was a great year for my kinda system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I was in carnaross tonight and have to say I thought light stores were well back in price. Plenty of 350kg Bulls for 850.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It all depends on what you pay for ration and how you value silage. You would have to try to buy them as a bunch off the land or over one day in a mart as they can be less likly to fight after a spin. If bought 1st june 120 days at grass at 50c/day. 120 kgs of ration over last 6 weeks at grass. Housed October 1st. 110 day to finish feeding ad lib good silage and 1.2 tons of ration. Dosing, mart, factory fees, vet, possible losses(15-20/head average) transport. around 450 euro.
    Out of curiosity How do you value grass at 50c a day?

Late Autumn 14 Bulls 280 kg @ say €900 good shapey export type nice lads if you got em for it.. Graze until November. Say €60 for grass. €.35 for commission transport and dose. 3 months silage and avg 7 kg meal @2.20 a day. €264. 1. Month on 10 kg meal high maize meal and silage @ €3 a day. €90. 2 months ad lib@ 3.75 a day. €225. Assume 420kg of gain @ 1.5 kg day. 700 kg ko of 60% 420 kg @. €4.50 a kg carcass under 16 months on grid. € 1890. - 1574 = €316 gross.

Figures and system Loosely based on a suckler friends recently killed Bulls. Might be hard come by similar quality stock though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Out of curiosity How do you value grass at 50c a day?

Have always costed grass at that for last 3-4 years. It is not like silage where grass will grow grass. Just when it is starting to get going you are grazing it. Them heavy bulls will tear ground as well. Say the average 480kgs for grazing season then they will require an average of 10kgs of DM/day. Even allowing for it to reduce as you feed meal for last 6 week at grass you will still average 9kgs DM/day over the season. allow for it 4.5c/kg of DM not an exact science but near enough.

On an acre of land over an 220 day grazing season would 120 euro cover Fertlizer , fencing reseeding etc, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have always costed grass at that for last 3-4 years. It is not like silage where grass will grow grass. Just when it is starting to get going you are grazing it. Them heavy bulls will tear ground as well. Say the average 480kgs for grazing season then they will require an average of 10kgs of DM/day. Even allowing for it to reduce as you feed meal for last 6 week at grass you will still average 9kgs DM/day over the season. allow for it 4.5c/kg of DM not an exact science but near enough.

On an acre of land over an 220 day grazing season would 120 euro cover Fertlizer , fencing reseeding etc, etc, etc
    Is it necessary to feed meal to these type Bulls for the last 6 weeks at grass?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Late Autumn 14 Bulls 280 kg @ say €900 good shapey export type nice lads if you got em for it.. Graze until November. Say €60 for grass. €.35 for commission transport and dose. 3 months silage and avg 7 kg meal @2.20 a day. €264. 1. Month on 10 kg meal high maize meal and silage @ €3 a day. €90. 2 months ad lib@ 3.75 a day. €225. Assume 420kg of gain @ 1.5 kg day. 700 kg ko of 60% 420 kg @. €4.50 a kg carcass under 16 months on grid. € 1890. - 1574 = €316 gross.

Figures and system Loosely based on a suckler friends recently killed Bulls. Might be hard come by similar quality stock though.

If late autunm bulls , I presume that they will be Nov/Dec born under this regime they will be 17/18 months at slaughter so outside 16 month grid. Know a few farmers that kill sub 16 month on the griod and 360kg DW seems to be near enough the max and averaging a little over 340kgs. I had one once that killed over 400kgs sub 16 months a few years back but he was an exceptional animal. Very few bulls kill 60% IMO most are back 56ish%, Would be very hard to source such quality bulls.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Is it necessary to feed meal to these type Bulls for the last 6 weeks at grass?

Yes if you want to finish Dec/Jan. You want them soft going into the shed Oct 1st. I even feed them 8-10 weeks if I could. It is the cheapest weight gain you will put on them. Expect them on 3kgs and good grass to be doing 1.2+kgs/day. Also at in the two weeks before housing bui;ld them up to 5-6 kgs outside, when housed as there is minimal change in diet they will continue to power ahead.

Good quality under 16 mth Bulls are regularly killing 60%. But yes it is probably hard enough to source these as the exporters have it sewn up. My friends Bulls were early spring born. Housed and fed since last October. But yes to get late autumn bull finished under 16 mths. Would need start meal on grass and straight in on ad lib. Back to drawing board!

The Bulls I seen had access to 72 dad silage and high maize meal baled silage and avg 10 kg meal a day until silage ran out. Shot up to 14kg when offerd only straw. But ko and weight for age was amazing.

November born Bulls now 280 kg. say €900. Graze till November. 3 kg meal from 1st August. €64. Grass meal dose commission transport. €95. 6 weeks silage and avg 8 kg meal.@ €.2.75 day €115. Ad lib high maize meal meal and straw 90 days. 3.75 day say €375 give or take. Say 400 kg carcass. @. 4.50kg Is €1800.. Minus € 1550 be €250 gross.

These would be manageable bulls for the grazing period. Easier on the land the fences the farmer and there'd be the option of continuing to feed as your not constrained by the age of them come spring if there happened to be a rising market and no worries about upper carcass limits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Has the recent price pull by factories had any impact on mart prices?

restive wrote: »

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

restive wrote: »

Yes ballymahon was a disaster check farmersforum.ie for results.
    Results not up yet anything over 600kgs struggled to get 2€ a kg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

500 kg fleshy hol fr bullocks born feb mar 14 ,.2 Euro kg still achievable in mart for them ??

I said wrote: »
    Yes ballymahon was a disaster check farmersforum.ie for results.
    Results not up yet anything over 600kgs struggled to get 2€ a kg

In two marts yesterday and Wednesday, Friesians 500kgs + were not far off 2/kg. Herefords 600kgs were 2.1/kg+, saw no Contenintals as was only in one place for 40 minutes and there was none at the other mart.

Lighter Fr 450 kgs good quality 860, poorer quality 420, 30 months of age 700 euro. Herefords 18 months 330kgs 880 euro. What amazed me was the ringside was empty enough I could have got a spot myself

Cows looked Ok up to 550 kgs 50+&- there weight. Anything that has no calf registered sold better than heifers. Heavier cows were in demand. However another thing that was curious was stockbulls selling for the equivlent of 3.3/kg DW and ones that could be fed on were selling very well as well.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    500 kg fleshy hol fr bullocks born feb mar 14 ,.2 Euro kg still achievable in mart for them ??

March 13 Fr 2/kg. Bargain of the day was a few 740 kg Ho Fr sold for nearly 1350. They were Feb12-March '13. There were the only real value I saw accross the two marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

In two marts yesterday and Wednesday, Friesians 500kgs + were not far off 2/kg. Herefords 600kgs were 2.1/kg+, saw no Contenintals as was only in one place for 40 minutes and there was none at the other mart.

Lighter Fr 450 kgs good quality 860, poorer quality 420, 30 months of age 700 euro. Herefords 18 months 330kgs 880 euro. What amazed me was the ringside was empty enough I could have got a spot myself

Cows looked Ok up to 550 kgs 50+&- there weight. Anything that has no calf registered sold better than heifers. Heavier cows were in demand. However another thing that was curious was stockbulls selling for the equivlent of 3.3/kg DW and ones that could be fed on were selling very well as well.

Those hereford's should be able to give a lad a chance to make money or were they poor

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Those hereford's should be able to give a lad a chance to make money or were they poor

No were Okish O+ if good level of finish. However these type of cattle will struggle to really gain weight. They will be lucky to average there were KO nect September/October. I think the were Feb/March born so will have to be killed next August/Sept if you want the Qa bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

mahoney_j wrote: »

You have great weight for age there. Should be good sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What day is ballymahon on? Could go down and bring up a trailer load and sell them in Ballinasloe the following Wednesday.

Muckit wrote: »
    What day is ballymahon on? Could go down and bring up a trailer load and sell them in Ballinasloe the following Wednesday.

Not if your buying continentals.Plain cattle are a waste of time trying to sell there.trade back from last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Holstein but not extreme ,good frames and decent flesh cover was in mart 3 weeks ago and they would of came close to 2.20 kg but I've heard prices have slipped 20 c kg in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

heavy cattle well back in the marts , lighter stock not as much

just talking to guy earlier who sells usually sell lm bullocks (he would have them nice, all home bred) about 330 to 360 kgs , reckons they are back on average €50 in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thursday

usually watch it online while having the lunch ,, great ch & lm cattle selling there

saw a few lots of '14 fr bullocks , llooked sguare enough on camera selling for less than screws of '15 runner holsteins were making in nenagh a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Trade wasn't back much in Kk yesterday anyway seen Fr bullocks making €2/kg and a couple made more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

CHOPS01 wrote: »

18 months old. Leaves a year to get them finished and they would have to put on .8g a day between now and then. I doubt they would be fit to do that

18 months old. Leaves a year to get them finished and they would have to put on .8g a day between now and then. I doubt they would be fit to do that

Would just about do do at 380 dats (approx early Sept next year) at 0.8 kgs would give you 300kgs gain. That would bring them to 630kgs which would be a K/O of 315-325kgs. They would just about be fit it however depends on how they would grow. At 4.4/kg they come into 1400 in price. You wpould want everything to go right with them and what would they leave you 100 euro????

orm0nd wrote: »
    Thursday

usually watch it online while having the lunch ,, great ch & lm cattle selling there

saw a few lots of '14 fr bullocks , llooked sguare enough on camera selling for less than screws of '15 runner holsteins were making in nenagh a couple of weeks ago
    Yer man selling them was raging over the price of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

have a big charolais cow to go she's about 800kg
    what sort of money is worth?

Advertisement