Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seattle Seahawks Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Once again the old adage that defense wins championships rang true last night. I've said it already in a couple of threads, but that defensive performance last night, for me it surpassed even the great Bears defense of 1985. I have never seen a defensive performance like it. So congratulations on your first Super Bowl win lads, it really was well deserved.

2000 Ravens winners of Superbowl XXXV say hello ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

What an epic day 12s. Hope everyone enjoyed the game. Getting tickets for any game next year will be an absolute bastard, but I'll take it. Here's my lot just before kick-off.

C949272009A94F6F91262D067B0A4E93-0000369691-0003492217-00800L-493062632AD141FE87887BE5D5BFB415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Congrats to all Seahawk fans to a thoroughly deserved Super Bowl win. I am relieved because we would have never heard the end of it if the other crowd won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

congrats to all the (to reiterate everyones elses point) real Seahawks fans ye have a great young defense to watch and trust me as someone who's favorite player ever is brian dawkins hard hitting safeties like ye have are an absolute pleasure to watch year in year out its going to be a fun time for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Enough of the personal attacks guys, come on

RE: Superbowl, what a bizarre game of football is the first thing to say. I never in a million years saw a victory like that on the horizon, from either side, tbh. The Patriots' downfall was allowing Manning too easy a ride up front; I had suspected Seattle would bring far more pressure from the likes of Bennett, Mebane, Bryant, Avril etc., but I'd no idea he'd become so impotent as a consequence.

A lot is being made of the crowd noise being a factor for Manning too... not sure how much to read into that; surely he hasn't established himself as being in contention for the GOAT title without figuring out how to audible in a noisey environment.

It's mad, because the Seahawks were so dominant, and the scoreline so huge, especially in light of keeping the #1 offence to 8 points, that you want to find a deeper analysis than the obvious - Seattle got pressure up front, and everyone else pretty much did their job as expected.

I suppose Harvin has to be mentioned as a factor; returning that kick for a TD so early in the second half pretty much killed off the tie. And you could see even before that, he was likely to do damage in the slot or running end arounds. Something the Broncos wouldn't have had film on, and a third, more lateral threat, would have made them more susceptible to the zone reads.

I dunno, don't think I'll ever quite get my head around what happened. I am loath to say Manning choked, it's disrespectful and way too simplistic an observation. The Denver D actually played reasonably well too - Lynch never really got moving, and I suspect he actually got banged up a bit what with how many snaps Turbin was taking.

Did Denver even run the ball? The game is a bit of a blur to be honest!!

• Advertisement

woodchopper, Putin - ENOUGH

Infractions will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Did Denver even run the ball? The game is a bit of a blur to be honest!!

It's funny -- you wait so long for a SB win and when it comes it's a walloping rather than the tense one score game everybody expects. It made the last quarter a bit of an anticlimax, but hey...

History was made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

So things are starting to quieten down on the free agent side of things on our roster.

You have to say after releasing Sidney and Tate that we can get a handy WR in the draft.

I can dream that Pete Carroll can find the WR equivalent of Russell Wilson in the draft right?

I think the happiest man in Seattle right now is Marshawn Lynch (well, happiest man in Oakland would probably be a safer assumption).

Thanks to the WR recruitments, he should find way more lanes next season. Safeties will be pinned back by Richardson's gas, Harvin also offers over-the-top threat, and pulls LB's laterally, and by accounts Norwood will offer a safe pair of hands in the slot. All this should lead to less instances where Lynch is running in to eight men in the box.

Another point worth noting on this year's draft, is that I've read that Norwood has a Masters degree, Pierre-Louis chose Boston College for academic reasons and two other players (can't remember which exactly) were at their graduation ceremonies when their picks were called. Might be getting some insight into Schneider's secret for late round success - many seem to be raw or naturally athletic, with character traits of intelligence and motivation to succeed.

Wilson won't mind more targets either.

The review I read on the NFL website suggested our first two picks would have had to wait longer than they actually did. Maybe the Seahawks were looking for more smarts than the reviewer had anticipated.

• Advertisement

How do people reckon the o-line looks next year? Here's the pre-draftee depth chart as I see it:

LT - Russell Okung - Alvin Bailey - Caylin Hauptmann
    Obviously if Okung stays fit, LT is shored up. But that's a big if.... Though I actually think Bailey looked promising in the snaps he saw before Okung came back. Certainly an improvement on McQuistan as a backup. But I think Bailey might take over the starting spot at LG, while Hauptmann is unknown.

LG Alvin Bailey / James Carpenter - Lemuel Jeanpierre
    Carpenter is still to prove he is up to the task as a starter. Decent run blocker, but allows a lot of pressure up the middle. Bailey's pass protection, meanwhile, looks to be spot on. I think if he develops a bit more of a mean streak he could take over the starting LG spot this season. Jeanpierre can cover here aswell.

C Max Unger - Lemuel Jeanpierre - Greg Van Roten
    Getting Jeanpierre to sign an extension pretty much shores up the centre. He looked more than decent in Unger's absence last season.

RG J.R. Sweezy - Michael Bowie - Greg Van Roten
    Sweezy is still learning the position, but seems steady enough. Bowie can cover guard on both sides really, but with Breno's departure he will likely get the nod to start at RT.

RT Michael Bowie - Caylin Hauptmann
    With Breno departing, I make this the shallowest spot on the line, and assuming Bowie gets the nod here, it also impacts the depth available at RG. Having said that, I feel Bowie is a good prospect at RT.

Draft/UDFA additions:
    Justin Britt, OT
    Garrett Scott, OT
    Garry Gilliam, OT
    Bronson Irwin, G

I think it's telling that of the 4 o-linemen acquired last week, three are tackles and all seem to be quite versatile in where they can play. I think the main issue was to add depth. All fit, I make the starting O-Line to eventually be a reasonably capable:

Okung - Bailey - Unger - Sweezy - Bowie

with Carpenter covering both guard spots (or vice versa if he ups his game to keep Bailey out), but not much depth beyond the unknown Hauptmann and Van Roten.

Amount of f**ks given by the patrons of boards.ie regarding the offensive line for the Seahawks next season: 0

How do people reckon the o-line looks next year? Here's the pre-draftee depth chart as I see it:

LT - Russell Okung - Alvin Bailey - Caylin Hauptmann
    Obviously if Okung stays fit, LT is shored up. But that's a big if.... Though I actually think Bailey looked promising in the snaps he saw before Okung came back. Certainly an improvement on McQuistan as a backup. But I think Bailey might take over the starting spot at LG, while Hauptmann is unknown.

LG Alvin Bailey / James Carpenter - Lemuel Jeanpierre
    Carpenter is still to prove he is up to the task as a starter. Decent run blocker, but allows a lot of pressure up the middle. Bailey's pass protection, meanwhile, looks to be spot on. I think if he develops a bit more of a mean streak he could take over the starting LG spot this season. Jeanpierre can cover here aswell.

C Max Unger - Lemuel Jeanpierre - Greg Van Roten
    Getting Jeanpierre to sign an extension pretty much shores up the centre. He looked more than decent in Unger's absence last season.

RG J.R. Sweezy - Michael Bowie - Greg Van Roten
    Sweezy is still learning the position, but seems steady enough. Bowie can cover guard on both sides really, but with Breno's departure he will likely get the nod to start at RT.

RT Michael Bowie - Caylin Hauptmann
    With Breno departing, I make this the shallowest spot on the line, and assuming Bowie gets the nod here, it also impacts the depth available at RG. Having said that, I feel Bowie is a good prospect at RT.

Draft/UDFA additions:
    Justin Britt, OT
    Garrett Scott, OT
    Garry Gilliam, OT
    Bronson Irwin, G

I think it's telling that of the 4 o-linemen acquired last week, three are tackles and all seem to be quite versatile in where they can play. I think the main issue was to add depth. All fit, I make the starting O-Line to eventually be a reasonably capable:

Okung - Bailey - Unger - Sweezy - Bowie

with Carpenter covering both guard spots (or vice versa if he ups his game to keep Bailey out), but not much depth beyond the unknown Hauptmann and Van Roten.

Fancying Max Unger to have another outstanding year. He has been a rock for the last 2 seasons. Be nice to have an O Line player in the Pro Bowl 3 years in a row :D

Amount of f**ks given by the patrons of boards.ie regarding the offensive line for the Seahawks next season: 0

Apologies. I appreciate the time you put into your post, and it'll help me in the new season. I just didn't have an opinion worth adding.

Apologies. I appreciate the time you put into your post, and it'll help me in the new season. I just didn't have an opinion worth adding.

Haha, I was only taking the p**s. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hawks are my second team.. i even went to seattle to see them :pac:

I do read this thread but generally other sites keep me up to date on hawks news

Keep on truckin neil!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hawks are my second team.. i even went to seattle to see them :pac:

I do read this thread but generally other sites keep me up to date on hawks news

Keep on truckin neil!

You went to see them play the titans!! Hardly qualifies you as a fan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

adrian522 wrote: »
    You went to see them play the titans!! Hardly qualifies you as a fan

But i have a TJ Housmanzandeh jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353161/article/seahawks-waive-draft-pick-due-to-rare-heart-condition

"The transaction comes one day after Scott signed his rookie contract. Curtis Crabtree of KJR-AM in Seattle reported that Scott received his full slotted signing bonus (believed to be between $90,000-$105,000) before being waived. His rights will revert back to the Seahawks if he clears waivers"

I know it is only a drop in the ocean for an NFL franchise,but it's still a classy move by the Seahawks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That is nice to see and the goodwill generated will far outway the monetary cost IMO

Must be heartbreaking for the lad, absolutely no pun intended.

Though having said that, this may have saved his life. A football career loses its relevance when compared with that.

Sidney Rice retiring at 27. Persistent injuries cited as the contributing factor.

Seeing as though he was cut, re-signed, then retired, would he have been better off retiring back at the end of the season when he was on higher money? Would injuries have been covered under an insurance deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not a bad way to go retire as a superbowl champion.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not a bad way to go retire as a superbowl champion.

Lets just hope Skittles isn't thinking the same!

Sidney was always a good WR, he's done some remarkable stuff with us and the Vikings.

Without the major injuries he had he may have been considered Elite, but we'll never know.

No doubt that Baldwin and Harvin will step it up this year.

I see Marshawn Lynch is refusing to join up until he gets a better deal. Seems a bit greedy, given he's two years into a four year contract, or is this standard practice after a Superbowl win?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I see Marshawn Lynch is refusing to join up until he gets a better deal. Seems a bit greedy, given he's two years into a four year contract, or is this standard practice after a Superbowl win?

Standard practise for RB's really, need to strike while the iron is hot. The rumour seems to be that the Hawks have no interest in giving him a bigger contract after signing Sherman & Thomas to big deals and with a Russell Wilson in line to get paid next year.

End of the day RB's are not worth big bucks anymore

He's in the top 5 highest paid RBs in the league, and he was the 6th most productive RB on the ground last year, so he's right where he should be, pay wise.

However I can see where he's coming from - this deal will run out smack when he hits 30, and he will likely find it very hard to get any manner of decent deal.

I can honestly see him being traded or even cut tbh. Seahawks are happy enough to continue with Turbin and Michael, and cutting Lynch would clear $3m against this cap and $7m against next year's.

Some team in need of an elite RB will happily offer him a four year deal to secure his services at least over the next two or so years, meaning it'd really be win win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Joemcn95

Does anyone know what time ESPN are reporting from Seahawks camp tomorrow?

Oops quick google and it airs at 1:30 p.m. ET

• Advertisement

Schefter reporting that Lynch will return to training camp. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095629-marshawn-lynch-contract-latest-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-seahawks?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national2

No new deal but apparently some financial concessions to be added to his contract, whatever that means.

Advertisement