Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Am gonna start flipping the bird to those mapies and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

isnt the whole one for sorrow, two for joy thing weather related? as in, bad weather approaching only one goes to find food, the other stays with the offspring in the nest. good weather, they both go out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought it was related to the fact (TBC) that magpies mate for life, so one on its own would have been "widowed".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Think thats true as well as in they mate for life - "A single magpie in spring, foul weather will bring" is also a phrase though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've no idea but there's tonnes of weather lore and omens related to birds. Incidentally it's quite surprising how many birds mate for life.

• Advertisement

About ten years ago I walked in to a shop with my umbrella still up. I've been paying for it ever since.

Is that what happened to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I once saw a magpie eating a, still living, baby bird. Stopped “saluting” them after that.

The tide is turning…

I once saw a magpie eating a, still living, baby bird. Stopped “saluting” them after that.

Yikes!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And seagulls, herons, etc eat live fish, other birds eat live bugs and worms, etc. That's normal behaviour for them.

Nature, red of tooth and claw. It's savage and wild at times. It is an ugly thing to witness though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seeing birds eating.....thats real creepy stuff.

Heard a voice in my garden or the path by my house just a minute ago but nobody knocked. Im listening hard. Lights off at front of house so it looks like there's nobody in here. Other half has gone to the shop but should be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Yea a medium told my daughter that her mam was seeing someone else, TRUE as it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

decky1 wrote: »
    Yea a medium told my daughter that her mam was seeing someone else, TRUE as it happens.
    Was it the medium ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

decky1 wrote: »
    Was the medium the someone else?

Edit: damn you, blinding.

More ghosts less shìte!!

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Heard a voice in my garden or the path by my house just a minute ago but nobody knocked. Im listening hard. Lights off at front of house so it looks like there's nobody in here. Other half has gone to the shop but should be back soon.

Keep us updated!

There's a six foot wall and a locked gate is that makes it any less ****e.

Nothing odd since. A few years ago a when I was in the otherwise empty house I heard a phone ring with a strange ringtone and no sign of any extra phone. And my very heavy doorknocker inexplicably clattered once, around that time. I'm not prone to hallucinations so I think it probably qualifies as unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Theres a Georgan house built on the farm, it's in the yard so I'm always around it. My grandparents lived in the house and then sister lived in it when she was younger with my niece who was only 3/4 at the time. Before my grand parents lived in it, it was empty for 100 years, theres no history to the house that I'm aware of. Anyway some nights my niece would run into her mam saying theres a child at the end of the bed looking at me, this happened a few times. Later on I find out my father's brother who was a baby at the time died. I never liked being in the house and I dont like going into the yard once it goes passed 8pm, weirdly with windows being broke no birds nest in the house. A man came one day to "clear" the house. He says theres black water underneath it and no good will come of anyone in it. Scared the shíte out of me. Anyway it's being knocked next year, got a call out of the blue, your man who came to clear the house said if its knocked all the rubble has to be taken off the farm. Dont know whether its coincidence he rang or he felt something. Anyway I'm off to bed, not sure if its coincidental that my bedroom window looks directly up to the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was told this story by a very sober, not given to flights of fancy, old lady, now deceased, who lived in the Munster countryside early in the last century. She a young girl at the time of the following tale and was with an older relation who had a farm. They were returning from a fair day on a pony and trap after doing some business at the fair. As they approached a remote spot with raised ground on one side about half way home she saw what looked like a very oddly dressed tinyl man jump onto the pony from the ditch and hold on. She screamed out as the trap started to pull up and looked to her companion who was frozen in what seemed like fear. He whispered to her to stay silent and recite a prayer. After a few moments the man vanished into thin air and they went on home as quickly as they could. He said to her not to tell anyone as it would bring bad luck. The spot she heard later was renowned as haunted and associated with the sidhe or fairy folk. She swore to me that the story was true when I smiled and said it was hard to believe but something in the look she gave me indicated that whatever it was she wasn't making it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Theres a Georgan house built on the farm, it's in the yard so I'm always around it. My grandparents lived in the house and then sister lived in it when she was younger with my niece who was only 3/4 at the time. Before my grand parents lived in it, it was empty for 100 years, theres no history to the house that I'm aware of. Anyway some nights my niece would run into her mam saying theres a child at the end of the bed looking at me, this happened a few times. Later on I find out my father's brother who was a baby at the time died. I never liked being in the house and I dont like going into the yard once it goes passed 8pm, weirdly with windows being broke no birds nest in the house. A man came one day to "clear" the house. He says theres black water underneath it and no good will come of anyone in it. Scared the shíte out of me. Anyway it's being knocked next year, got a call out of the blue, your man who came to clear the house said if its knocked all the rubble has to be taken off the farm. Dont know whether its coincidence he rang or he felt something. Anyway I'm off to bed, not sure if its coincidental that my bedroom window looks directly up to the house :)

Pic please

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Working at a secondary school last night. Around 9.30pm I could hear kids laughing and playing. I paid no mind, but after 20 mins I realised it was very late for them to be at the school and looked out the window. There was no one there, only myself and the caretakers cars were in the car park. At that point I realised that the sound of the kids was coming from a guitar amplifier that had been left in the room I was in.

I have a video, from which people can draw their own conclusions. The most plausible explanation is that it was a broadcast, what broadcast would be the sound of kids for 20 odd minutes I'm not sure. What's the best way of posting the video?

Edit: Here's the link to the video;

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pic please

I'll post one in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

dickangel wrote: »
    Working at a secondary school last night. Around 9.30pm I could hear kids laughing and playing. I paid no mind, but after 20 mins I realised it was very late for them to be at the school and looked out the window. There was no one there, only myself and the caretakers cars were in the car park. At that point I realised that the sound of the kids was coming from a guitar amplifier that had been left in the room I was in.

I have a video, from which people can draw their own conclusions. The most plausible explanation is that it was a broadcast, what broadcast would be the sound of kids for 20 odd minutes I'm not sure. What's the best way of posting the video?

Edit: Here's the link to the video;

What do you think?

Was the guitar amp plugged into something? Audio feed from somewhere?

368100 wrote: »
    Was the guitar amp plugged into something? Audio feed from somewhere?

No just straight into the wall. No other cables but for the power. Whoever was using it removed their cable but forgot to turn it off.

I'm not sure if the link I posted is working. It shows up on my computer but not my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

No just straight into the wall. No other cables but for the power. Whoever was using it removed their cable but forgot to turn it off.

I'm not sure if the link I posted is working. It shows up on my computer but not my phone.

Link worked for me....that is creepy then. Logical mind would say it's some transmission picked up from somewhere but given its an amp it wouldnt have anything to receive it through other than wired connection...which wasn't connected...hmmm

Possibly is something interfering through the power cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Amps pick up radio waves, probably there were kids in their earlier in the day on their phones and it got picked up by the amp. If it's left on the noises just kind of bounce around in there until it gets replaced my new noise. An old neighbour of mine used to get European radio stations on his guitar amp in the early 90's!

I figured it was interference but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little shiver up my spine. My friend thinks one the voices says "come home."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is there any good way of knowing the actual age of a house?
    The one I live in is on maps in 1830s but no idea of how long it could have been built before that.
    Anyway on occasion, when I'm in that half awake/asleep state, I'd nearly swear I can hear chatting & voices coming from the kitchen area, just in that soft undertone which means you know chat is going on but such soft murmurings that you can't hear the words. Twice I've heard a door close & when I go to find an open window & draft causing it, the doors are open :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I figured it was interference but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little shiver up my spine. My friend thinks one the voices says "come home."

I was sat in my living room as a teenager once. Alone in the house studying, when I heard a gruff Dublin accent barking directions coming from directly in front of me. I nearly jumped out of my skin until I realised it was the TV speakers picking up radio waves while it was on standby. It must have been from a taxi radio nearby.

Also as a guitar player who’s had some poorly wired and shielded equipment in the past, I sometimes picked up the radio when not playing. Especially if the amp was set to high gain.

Advertisement