Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Lesalare wrote: »
    Tickers. Let it go. Learn when to walk away.

Let what go, most people are in agreement with me. Fact of the matter is that asking, requiring or expecting visitors to remove shoes when invited to your home is not considered the norm no matter how much you bend over backwards trying to justify it. Regardless of what they do in Canada, Scandinavia or if you think it’s more hygienic or however many toddlers and dogs you have or whatever. You can come up with all the excuses you want it is still considered outside of social norms in this country and other English speaking countries for guests to remove their shoes. Keep thanking each other’s posts and circle jerking each other all day long but fact is that shoes of is considered weird and that’s a fact that you and your mates will have to get over and just let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I'm in agreement fully with you but I think the point has been hammered to death on both sides re. shoes on/off etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I would strongly disagree it’s “knowing better”, I think it’s stupid, awkward rule with little or no benefit enforced by people who are up their own hole.
    Of course it's not knowing better. They just post in that manner.

Anyway, yeah where it's customary to remove shoes in all cases, no issue. But it's not for Irish households (obviously with the exception of wet shoes, shoes covered in mud or when dog shyte or chewing gum was accidentally stood in). That doesn't mean no Irish person abides by it here, but It's not the standard. I have never been asked in any household here whatsoever to remove my shoes. It's most disingenuous of people to say it's the norm. If you've been away for a long time and got used to it, totally understood, but it's arrogant to force that on people when you get home, and to act as though you're so much better, particularly when you were no different before you moved away.

It is creating discomfort for people whose shoes have no visible dirt on them, and it's a bit brainwashed/OCD. You don't have to put your mouth anywhere near the floor with its invisible dirt, and you'll be mopping it with disinfectant anyway. To say it's manky is definitely just blindly saying the thing you think sounds great to say. Being Irish and saying "oh those inferior Irish" with it is just to be a boring attention seeker.

Can't believe someone asked would you be ok with someone smoking as a comparison... because passive shoe-wearing could lead to or exacerbate respiratory issues and is even linked with cancer? :confused:

Because shoe-wearing stinks the place up and leaves ashes all over the place and a yellow-brown film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Or the English speaking world or continental Europe. Northern European countries maybe and Nordic countries but it's not the done thing here.

It's done all over Germany...

It's done all over Germany...

Do they speak English in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You seem to think that's a good thing. Others differ. When you know better, you do better.

What a pompous statement. Has anyone got any cold, hard stats that demonstrate the superiority of shoe-removal at the door in homes? Is Ireland’s health suffering by not having it as the norm? Have comparative studies been done? If there are crawling children, it makes sense. Other than that, with good hygiene practices, I don’t see the benefit. And I can pretty much guarantee that the phones and laptops of many shoe-removers on this thread are absolutely crawling and that they are cross-contaminating goodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

What a pompous statement. Has anyone got any cold, hard stats that demonstrate the superiority of shoe-removal at the door in homes? Is Ireland’s health suffering by not having it as the norm? Have comparative studies been done? If there are crawling children, it makes sense. Other than that, with good hygiene practices, I don’t see the benefit. And I can pretty much guarantee that the phones and laptops of many shoe-removers on this thread are absolutely crawling and that they are cross-contaminating goodo.

I agree that it was pompous. We do it for comfort and because shoes from outside invariably leave scuff marks or whatever but it's mainly just for our preference for a neat home. It's not difficult to do because it's part of the culture where I live and I don't force anyone to leave their shoes in a pile by the door.

I just disagree with the OP that most families lives and houses are a mess and that one parent should/ needs to stay at home. We're busy but we prioritise a clean and comfortable home so choose to maintain it. I also disagree with people that say that I'm worried about people's perception of me or that I'm spending most of my life on housework and neglecting my child though. It's just part of our everyday life. Can't turn the living room into a dancefloor ad hoc if it's covered in Duplo all the time :D

How would wearing shoes affect the neatness of a home though? I just don't get the logic.

I wear slippers myself but that's only to give my shoes a break. Visitors keep their shoes on and my home is immaculate (I'm pretty fussy about neatness and cleanliness).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I can pretty much guarantee that the phones and laptops of many shoe-removers on this thread are absolutely crawling and that they are cross-contaminating goodo.

I was reading this and thinking eww , what is this new hell!! Goo-do. Is it like do-do, but gooey... gross! :eek:

Ping!

Ahh.

Good-o :D

What a pompous statement. Has anyone got any cold, hard stats that demonstrate the superiority of shoe-removal at the door in homes? Is Ireland’s health suffering by not having it as the norm? Have comparative studies been done?
    There's cold hard evidence that it helps nurture a sense of smug superiority for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Raconteuse wrote: »
    How would wearing shoes affect the neatness of a home though? I just don't get the logic.

I wear slippers myself but that's only to give my shoes a break. Visitors keep their shoes on and my home is immaculate (I'm pretty fussy about neatness and cleanliness).

I've lived in both. There is less cleaning needed if different footwear is worn inside. I'm not fussed but between the dog, kids, husband and woods on our doorstep at least kitchen floor where everyone badges in needs to be cleaned more often. (For some reason only sales people and Jehovah Witnesses use front door.) I insisted on no carpet precisely because we wear shoes inside.

Yeah I prefer no carpet as I've allergies and it traps dust. I only find hairs (mine, as I've really long hair and need to cut it soon) and crumbs and fluff on my floors though. No visible outside dirt. Probably because I've a good shoe wiping door mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You really can't beat coming in on a cold day, taking off your shoes and having the underfloor heating warm up your feet as you walk around. Leaving on shoes would be denying one self that pleasure.

I've radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I've radiators.

*gives that knowing look of disgust*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This therad should be retitled "Do You Allow Guests To Wear Their Shoes in your House and If Not: Defend Your Anally Retentive Policy"

Lol

Can a new thread be created and we might get back to people being judgy about the perceived state of cleanliness and tidiness of one's abode? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This therad should be retitled "Do You Allow Guests To Wear Their Shoes in your House and If Not: Defend Your Anally Retentive Policy"

Lol

Can a new thread be created and we might get back to people being judgy about the perceived state of cleanliness and tidiness of one's abode? :D

In fairness, it hasn't got quite as nasty as the thread a few years ago asking how often you change your sheets. That got really heated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

In fairness, it hasn't got quite as nasty as the thread a few years ago asking how often you change your sheets. That got really heated

Thank Gawd you said Heated... "messy" could have been misconstrued.

NSAman wrote: »
    Thank Gawd you said Heated... "messy" could have been misconstrued.

That’s a topic for another thread. Irish people who don’t turn on the heating because it’s “too expensive”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I agree that it was pompous. We do it for comfort and because shoes from outside invariably leave scuff marks or whatever but it's mainly just for our preference for a neat home. It's not difficult to do because it's part of the culture where I live and I don't force anyone to leave their shoes in a pile by the door.

I just disagree with the OP that most families lives and houses are a mess and that one parent should/ needs to stay at home. We're busy but we prioritise a clean and comfortable home so choose to maintain it. I also disagree with people that say that I'm worried about people's perception of me or that I'm spending most of my life on housework and neglecting my child though. It's just part of our everyday life. Can't turn the living room into a dancefloor ad hoc if it's covered in Duplo all the time :D

I understand that. I actually wear shoes as little as possible. And socks actually. If I could get away with never wearing shoes, I would. But I don’t expect anyone else to go shoeless in my home, that’s all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

a friend has a no shoes situation, but he is from elsewhere all right. i bring my giant fluffy socks to walk around in, and he has slippers he got specially from penneys or something for last time we stayed over.

i take my own shoes off as soon as i get in, but don't ask others to. i do think it feels cleaner not walking around in them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

That’s a topic for another thread. Irish people who don’t turn on the heating because it’s “too expensive”.
    Sure I'm allright here in the dark

Advertisement