Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

superlevy 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Big fine on the way

Def a pure bred Holstein ,has it all size ,type and a feckin great udder,who needs x breeds!!!!

Big fine on the way

Def a pure bred Holstein ,has it all size ,type and a feckin great udder,who needs x breeds!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

mahoney_j wrote: »

yeah and high maintaince too id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Like all holsteins its all fake!

Like all holsteins its all fake!
    Who wouldnt like to snuggle up to them .i mean her every night!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 johnny mooie moo

Im considering breeding cows to A2A2 holstein bulls. Would anyone consider this a worthwhile direction and could the market for this milk develop into the future. Has anyone gone down this route and has it been worth the effort. Thanks

Im considering breeding cows to A2A2 holstein bulls. Would anyone consider this a worthwhile direction and could the market for this milk develop into the future. Has anyone gone down this route and has it been worth the effort. Thanks

What is an a2 a2 Holstein???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

What is an a2 a2 Holstein???????

I looked into this years ago when I was starting Dairying. I bought a bunch of Brown Swiss because of this, they are genetically high in a2. From what I remember A2 milk is the milk type that the majority of mammals produce. A1 milk is the milk that Holsteins produce. A1 and a2 refer to a type of beta casin in the protein. A1 came about from a genetic mutation in Ho cows, way back.
    There are supposed to be some links to ill health ( lactose intolerance, autism, obesity, etc) to a1 type milk. It's why a lot of health freaks go for goats milk or soya milk. It's easier to produce a nicer cheese from a2 milk aswell
    The ability to produce a2 milk can be gene tested, so you're a2a2 cow is Pure breed a2 milk producer.
    I had great plans for trying something like this when I started years ago, ( Brown Swiss produce 70% a2), but no milk purchaser interested, so I dropped the ball on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I looked into this years ago when I was starting Dairying. I bought a bunch of Brown Swiss because of this, they are genetically high in a2. From what I remember A2 milk is the milk type that the majority of mammals produce. A1 milk is the milk that Holsteins produce. A1 and a2 refer to a type of beta casin in the protein. A1 came about from a genetic mutation in Ho cows, way back.
    There are supposed to be some links to ill health ( lactose intolerance, autism, obesity, etc) to a1 type milk. It's why a lot of health freaks go for goats milk or soya milk. It's easier to produce a nicer cheese from a2 milk aswell
    The ability to produce a2 milk can be gene tested, so you're a2a2 cow is Pure breed a2 milk producer.
    I had great plans for trying something like this when I started years ago, ( Brown Swiss produce 70% a2), but no milk purchaser interested, so I dropped the ball on it.

Nobody really wants to mention it - a processor would have to be exclusively a2 , or they'd be putting down their other products promoting A2...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Markcheese wrote: »
    Nobody really wants to mention it - a processor would have to be exclusively a2 , or they'd be putting down their other products promoting A2...

You'd wonder is it something the likes of Teagasc should be looking, it could be a way of selling Irish milk as a very premium product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 johnny mooie moo

Thanks for the replies.
    Ya I noticed some bulls were labelled A2A2 so I did a little research. Getting big in Australia and new zeland. In Aus. 8% of total liquid milk market now A2A2 and growing Whilst selling at a premium price. Supposed to have good health benefits but not proven.
    Guy who began A2A2 milk in NZ almost went bankrupt taking Fonterra to court trying to force them to label A1 milk as harmful to human health. Ironically he died young but I think market or A2A2 milk is growing. I just think it may be a way of becoming less volatile but big question is is it worth the hassle and investment cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Thanks for the replies.
    Ya I noticed some bulls were labelled A2A2 so I did a little research. Getting big in Australia and new zeland. In Aus. 8% of total liquid milk market now A2A2 and growing Whilst selling at a premium price. Supposed to have good health benefits but not proven.
    Guy who began A2A2 milk in NZ almost went bankrupt taking Fonterra to court trying to force them to label A1 milk as harmful to human health. Ironically he died young but I think market or A2A2 milk is growing. I just think it may be a way of becoming less volatile but big question is is it worth the hassle and investment cost?

And that is the big question. The answer to which is probably no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    in journal this morning, on 31st august 2014 ireland was 6.4% over quota. At end of September
    Arrabawn 10% over
    Aurivo 3% over
    Bandon 8.4%
    Barryroe 8%
    Centenary Thurles 9.8%
    Dairygold 9.4%
    Drinagh 9%
    Glanbia 7.4%
    Kerry 3.5%
    Lakelands 8.5%
    Lisavaird 9%
    Tipperary 8.0%
    Town of Monaghan 6%
    Wexford 7.2%
    all over quota
    at the end of october
    Arrabawn 10% over (estimated)
    Aurivo 3% over
    Barryroe 9% over
    Centenary Thurles 10% over (est)
    Dairygold 9.2%
    Drinagh 9.75% over (est)
    Glanbia 8%
    Kerry 4%
    Lakelands 9.5%
    Lisavaird 9%
    Wexford 7% over
    from yesterdays journal , cant see the nationwide figure, some creameries are missing from last month, it also says that October 2014 supply was ahead of 2013

whelan2 wrote: »
    at the end of october
    Arrabawn 10% over (estimated)
    Aurivo 3% over
    Barryroe 9% over
    Centenary Thurles 10% over (est)
    Dairygold 9.2%
    Drinagh 9.75% over (est)
    Glanbia 8%
    Kerry 4%
    Lakelands 9.5%
    Lisavaird 9%
    Wexford 7% over
    from yesterdays journal , cant see the nationwide figure, some creameries are missing from last month, it also says that October 2014 supply was ahead of 2013

Think Arrabawn is currently 10.8% over,were fooked just like the rest of the country quota wise!luckily for me I'm fairly ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Pretty sure dairygold are gonna deduct the fine over 2 years. New entrants who go way over and have big loans are going to be in serious trouble if milk price is 28c or less. I see in the journal this week bill o keefe wrote that Greenfield sites needed 33c a litre and he himself produced milk this year for 25c. Top 10% are supposedly producing milk for 20c.
    Could be very tough next year for everyone.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure dairygold are gonna deduct the fine over 2 years. New entrants who go way over and have big loans are going to be in serious trouble if milk price is 28c or less. I see in the journal this week bill o keefe wrote that Greenfield sites needed 33c a litre and he himself produced milk this year for 25c. Top 10% are supposedly producing milk for 20c.

If they are and that's a big if,wtf are they doing letting that go to print for.its another stick to beat us with.production costs are something which never make it past a discussion group meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If they are and that's a big if,wtf are they doing letting that go to print for.its another stick to beat us with.production costs are something which never make it past a discussion group meeting.

25c was defo shy his own labour, and him and his father are both full time? Lump in 80grand (being conservative), that's another 6/7 cent across 200cows.

Timmaay wrote: »
    25c was defo shy his own labour, and him and his father are both full time? Lump in 80grand (being conservative), that's another 6/7 cent across 200cows.

If I remover from reading re labour cost was very small,you can manipulate a pm to suit yourself .i try and do mine as accurately as possible to give the truest picture of my costs.i ain't and won't quote it here but I honestly don't believe any one can produce milk here at or anywhere near 20
    Cent unless your a bachelor with no dependants loans ,don't leave the farm etc.printing and releasing of on figures are and should be private to you and your dg if in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭jaymla627

blackdog1 wrote: »

Sure the money you save by not owning a calving jack goes along way towards reducing costs, had to be one of the most stupid pieces of writing i ever seen in the comic and it came out of the lads mouth your talking about wouldn't be taking anything that chap above says to seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

see in the journal this week bill o keefe wrote that Greenfield sites needed 33c a litre and he himself produced milk this year for 25c. Top 10% are supposedly producing milk for 20c.
    please show me the proof

• Advertisement

No one can produce milk for 20c not even 25c and pay them selves complete bull. We would survive if base was 28c but survive is about all

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

when are lads and lassises going to have there quota full by in the spring?
    cows dried off here nearly 3 weeks.
    have 7% of owned quota left to fill. hopeing for some temp leasing and fleximilk.
    Kerry suppiller

degetme wrote: »
    when are lads and lassises going to have there quota full by in the spring?
    cows dried off here nearly 3 weeks.
    have 7% of owned quota left to fill. hopeing for some temp leasing and fleximilk.
    Kerry suppiller
    Good luck with that,I'll be full around paddys day and can and will hold 6 days milk if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Don't usually read his piece as he's full of shyte but I did tonight to see what the fuss is about.

To be fair nowhere in the piece does he refer to "his own" profit monitor. He is talking of the profit monitors that have been submitted.

His words on price and debt, I don't think I'd disagree with any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Don't usually read his piece as he's full of shyte but I did tonight to see what the fuss is about.

To be fair nowhere in the piece does he refer to "his own" profit monitor. He is talking of the profit monitors that have been submitted.

His words on price and debt, I don't think I'd disagree with any of it.

Why print milk produced at 20 c does he believe that possible

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Anyone know what their coops are doing re deductions of superlevy? was on last weeks journal that big phil was to come out with statement that payments will be made to the commission in 3 equal parts interest free and that the bills will fall due when final quota position is established later in the year.

so are coops still deducting currently or will they be taking 1/3 in September for the next 3 years??

our coop is deduction half now and the rest over 2 years i think but the above scheme would certainly suit cash flows on farms better. Perhaps coops may be cautious on people leaving that coop or leaving milk all together.

Paying it over summer months here. Talk of it being paid over 3 yrs which would suit us grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

next collection will fill it,what a bollick of crack,im counting the days to it going

My levy is well paid,bought a lot of quota on exchange at priority and mcp over last few years ,most lads said I was nuts ,maby I was but most of them are now facing very big super levy bills payable now and spread over next year or 2.ive just sent a record February supply for this farm in and will send in more or less full supply to end of March,may have to hold 5 days milk.wont be making any appologies for it either.

• Advertisement

My levy is well paid,bought a lot of quota on exchange at priority and mcp over last few years ,most lads said I was nuts ,maby I was but most of them are now facing very big super levy bills payable now and spread over next year or 2.ive just sent a record February supply for this farm in and will send in more or less full supply to end of March,may have to hold 5 days milk.wont be making any appologies for it either.

I've sent a record supply too :D
    Tbf were only back at what numbers we were at 10 yrs ago.
    The boss says he has it all worked out and isn't worried

Advertisement