Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Hey I actually have a quick question, I have NEVER met up with a guy from online before, been talking to a guy and it turns out we have mutual friends and we have a laugh on facebook chat and text each other...the first night we where chatting we got on pretty great and he asked me for drinks and outta nerves and not really knowing him I said nope ...but I am afraid now that ....we are getting on well that if we meet up with might not get on ...if that makes any sense ...like we know a bit about each other without having met face-to-face what if its awkward when we meet up!!! We havent put each other in the friends zone ...but I dunno if I am ready to meet up with him (I am painfully shy) but I dont want to miss a chance with him either cause he seems nice ...so basically what would you do??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hey I actually have a quick question, I have NEVER met up with a guy from online before, been talking to a guy and it turns out we have mutual friends and we have a laugh on facebook chat and text each other...the first night we where chatting we got on pretty great and he asked me for drinks and outta nerves and not really knowing him I said nope ...but I am afraid now that ....we are getting on well that if we meet up with might not get on ...if that makes any sense ...like we know a bit about each other without having met face-to-face what if its awkward when we meet up!!! We havent put each other in the friends zone ...but I dunno if I am ready to meet up with him (I am painfully shy) but I dont want to miss a chance with him either cause he seems nice ...so basically what would you do??

Fricken ey it's only a quick date! Go out with the lad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Date two went well, although he was a bit poorly. :)
    sharper wrote: »
    People misrepresenting themselves is bad but comments like "another fatty" makes it hard to feel sorry for your situation.

The poster did say it was harsh. I could sense his frustration in his post. And in fairness to the chap, the person is fat and is hiding this fact on a dating site. Wasting everyones time.

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and meet up with him! That's what online dating is about. The first one is always nerve wrecking but it gets easier after awhile. (hopefully you won't have to go on too many first dates! ;) )

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fricken ey it's only a quick date! Go out with the lad!!!!

Actually, perhaps some clarification is in order. I was in a very similar situation to yourself before. We went on the date anyway. Nothing romantic came of it, but we both had great fun and are good friends now. It was totally worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have exchanged a couple of mails with someone so decided to re-read his profile. He is in an 'open relationship' - move along buddy I don't share! :(

Note to self - read profiles properly!

• Advertisement

'Open relationship' is often code for 'cheating' on these things sadly. Not that I've anything against people in real open relationships. just not for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Galvasean wrote: »
    'Open relationship' is often code for 'cheating' on these things sadly. Not that I've anything against people in real open relationships. just not for me really.

Nor me! I don't care if its cheating or she knows all about it - I don't share well with others! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dovies wrote: »
    Have exchanged a couple of mails with someone so decided to re-read his profile. He is in an 'open relationship' - move along buddy I don't share! :(

Note to self - read profiles properly!

Maybe he added/changed that bit later after you initially read the profile. These internet daters can be a sneaky lot. One woman has just reduced her age by 10 years on her profile :D
    KTRIC wrote: »
    Either you're reading it wrong or I wrote it wrong. We got on great (I would think) and had arranged to meet tomorrow even after the misunderstanding. I won't post messages from her to reenforce my point but in the brightness of a new day I think I dodged a bullet.

Well I doubt if she is that bad & using such phrases is hardly going to endear you to anyone else who might be reading this - you never know who or when eek.gif

The point that I was making is that loads of potential relationship can end at base one because of simple misunderstandings especially when people are being naturally guarded.

Talking on the phone minimises this & if you can have an enjoyable chat then it bodes well for a face to face meeting.

Unlike some I can understand your concerns. It is very easy to build a person up in your expectations because we all want to find someone. But it is also natural to worry that we might not live up to their expectations.

At the end of the day you have to take a chance. But you need to be positive in that you don't let it get to you if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

hmmmmm I am not sure maybe I will see how our next chat goes and maybe suggest something .....like I dunno .....ugh decisions .....ah sure ill just see what happens! Thanks for the advice though!

• Advertisement

In case you are reading this, good luck to the person who contacted me. I hope it works out for you & feel free to get in touch.
    hmmmmm I am not sure maybe I will see how our next chat goes and maybe suggest something .....like I dunno .....ugh decisions .....ah sure ill just see what happens! Thanks for the advice though!

Trust your instincts & bear in mind that you have nothing to lose.

Pembily wrote: »
    Why the fcuk are people who are "not in the right head space" on a dating site????

The past few dates I've had have gone that way - "I'm not in the right place" - I'm sorry, get off a dating site then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The past few dates I've had have gone that way - "I'm not in the right place" - I'm sorry, get off a dating site then.

It just means that they're not into you and haven't got the balls to tell you properly. Simple as that.

People change during their time on a site & maybe because people want to avoid being hurtful. We go on dating site to find women & then we complain when they act like women :D

It just means that they're not into you and haven't got the balls to tell you properly. Simple as that.

I am beginning to think that Mystery Girl had a lucky escape :rolleyes:

Discodog wrote: »
    We go on dating site to find women & then we complain when they act like women :D

haha! Quoted for great truth!

I am beginning to think that Mystery Girl had a lucky escape :rolleyes:

I think you and your self righteous advice should give it a rest.

I think you and your self righteous advice should give it a rest.

Well every comment that you have made, including this one, suggests that she was the one who "dodged a bullet". As for me taking a rest, I am just as entitled to be here as you are. You were the one who decided to make, what should of been private conversations, public & you got caught out. Who knows instead of dodging a bullet you may of missed a gem.

Well every comment that you have made, including this one, suggests that she was the one who "dodged a bullet". As for me taking a rest, I am just as entitled to be here as you are. You were the one who decided to make, what should of been private conversations, public & you got caught out. Who knows instead of dodging a bullet you may of missed a gem.

Caught out how exactly ??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Folks, calm the jets a wee bit. This thread is for discussing online dating, if ye want to discuss something futher, take it to PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I think both POF and OKC have gotten worse for txt speak in the last 6 months, maybe its due to the phone apps people think its ok to talk in txt speak because they use their phone.

Its quite disapointing when you see a profile view from a cute girl only for your eyes to bleed in agony as you try to read thier profile.

only for your eyes to bleed in agony as you try to read thier profile.

That's a wonderful phrase - I am going to have to work that one into a song :D

But you are so right. A friend of mine arrange an internet date with an attractive girl. Apparently she had an amazing skill of being able to drink, smoke & chew gum simultaneously !

That's a wonderful phrase - I am going to have to work that one into a song :D

But you are so right. A friend of mine arrange an internet date with an attractive girl. Apparently she had an amazing skill of being able to drink, smoke & chew gum simultaneously !

I want a cut of the royalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I would wait until you are accepted & then put on your profile that you are not interested in any people who put looks ahead of personality :D

By the way how do they know that the pic is genuine ?

won't be getting accepted, 50% absolutely not and then the beautiful and no's split. I'm at the bottom of the scale, can't go any further down it so won't be getting in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭billyhead

Right folks for anyone here with experience of rejecting a date online. I got chatting to someone on POF and it turns out we have a lot in common and she seems really nice. She has just asked if we could meet up but the thing is and I have nothing really against girls with red hair but she has and I am more a brunette person. How do I reject the offer nicely?

billyhead wrote: »
    Right folks for anyone here with experience of rejecting a date online. I got chatting to someone on POF and it turns out we have a lot in common and she seems really nice. She has just asked if we could meet up but the thing is and I have nothing really against girls with red hair but she has and I am more a brunette person. How do I reject the offer nicely?

While I can understand a perference for a hair colur (I prefer redheads myself) rulling out someone who you otherwise like and have lots in common with due to thier hair colur seems insane.

So just tell her you are insane and that will get you off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

I'm sure this is no help now, but why did you let it get to this stage if you were going to reject her on something that is a), completely arbitrary and b) at the top of her profile, as well as shown in her pics, which you either saw from the beginning or have seen by now.

Really, all you seem to have done is waste the girl's time and let her build her hopes up. You won't like it if it's done to you.

Lastly, I agree with the previous poster, red hair is gorgeous and you're insane to reject girls on that basis.

Samich wrote: »
    won't be getting accepted, 50% absolutely not and then the beautiful and no's split. I'm at the bottom of the scale, can't go any further down it so won't be getting in :)

Wow that does wonders for one's self esteem :D

I wouldn't date a beautiful woman from that site on principle.

Well - it seems a bit pointless actually engaging her in conversation and letting it get to the point where she asks you out, if you knew you didn't like redheads. I'm assuming she either had a photo up or your exchanged them at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hey all

I had a date with someone on Valentines day, we got on great, had a snog and talked of meeting up again...but here comes the but, I really liked him and I am not into all that game playing stuff, so anyhow I sent him a mail a couple of days later saying I had a great time, he replied stating likewise, then I sent a mail back stating when I was free to meet again, not sure if this was too eager beaver and I should add on the date he told me he had hid his profile which he had, I did after the date but I did not hear back from him and when I checked his profile tonight he is back online and searching, I have to admit I felt a bit deflated as I thought we would meet again but the lack of contact for a few days kind of was a warning. I am not sure if I was too eager and this was off putting but it is disappointing all the same. I decided to put my profile back on visibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement