Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Sligo People

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »
    Does Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones live in or around Sligo, coz I'm sure I saw him today.

You can put him in the "famous people who've been to Sligo" category. :)

He lives in Kildare, so he could well be here on a visit - where'd you see him?

(edit) Speaking of Ronnie Woods, I found this on Tabby's Wikipedia;

"In 2005 Tabby performed at the world famous home of The Beatles - The Cavern in Liverpool, England. During the gig Tabby kicked off his boots half way through the gig in order to play in his bare feet, which is Callaghan's trademark; however, his boots were taken from the stage by a fan. The Cavern Club management then provided Tabby had an old pair of boots in their office which had been left behind by Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones."

So maybe Woods is here, looking for his boots back!

However, the following paragraph on the same page, makes me doubt the validity of anything that might be true...

"Some time in 2007 Tabby's brother was in McGarrigles pub on O'Connell St in Sligo town. During the night he used the one and only toilet cubicle - the resulting unflushed, sloppy dump was described as "inhuman"."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

If it was him (I took a sneaky pick but from a distance), he was sitting in a Jag opposite the Quayside.

If it was him (I took a sneaky pick but from a distance), he was sitting in a Jag opposite the Quayside.

That was probably him so - he was talking about owning a Jag when he was talking on Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Saw him in a Jag in Dublin a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

careful - thats off topic - mufflator will have you for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

careful - thats off topic - mufflator will have you for that!

:rolleyes:
    Give it a f*ckin rest man! please!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You should totally sell it to one of the local rags.

Xiney wrote: »
    You should totally sell it to one of the local rags.

Yeah. Since the "dogging" article it's clear they'll print anything!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Give it a f*ckin rest man! please!!:(
    Its your lucky night ;)

Had a feeling alright...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Conor Mark Cavanagh another RTE journalist is from Sligo. Dunno if he is that famous yet....
    What about Jack B Yeats the painter or are the Dublin crew claiming all the family. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, pfft.

They don't call Dublin "Yeats County".

I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that :D

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, pfft.

They don't call Dublin "Yeats County".

I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that :D

Hey Xiney you can hide in my house in Leitrim if you need to get away from Starbelgrade for saying that! :eek:

but you're right! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Im pretty sure Jack Yeats was!?

Conor O'Farrell aka Kid Sligo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFMRqdEL24

elshambo wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Jack Yeats was!?

Conor O'Farrell aka Kid Sligo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFMRqdEL24
    Thats classic! :D
    Is there a reason he sounds like a Cavan man? :eek::D

tuppence wrote: »
    Conor Mark Cavanagh another RTE journalist is from Sligo. Dunno if he is that famous yet....
    What about Jack B Yeats the painter or are the Dublin crew claiming all the family. :(

Jack B Yeats was born in London. His father, John, was born in Down & his brother William, in Dublin.

So why is Sligo called Yeats Country? If it's to do with birthplaces, maybe it should be called something else... like Westlife Country. :):):)

Jack B Yeats was born in London. His father, John, was born in Down & his brother William, in Dublin.

So why is Sligo called Yeats Country? If it's to do with birthplaces, maybe it should be called something else... like Westlife Country. :):):)

Cos he spent his summers here and was inspired by Lough Gill, Lissadell etc.

Oh Yeah. And he's buried in Sligo

I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was being sarcastic.

You wern't being sarcastic. You were continuing your never-ending smug "Yeats is from Dublin" monologue. It got boring a few weeks ago.

We know he's from Dublin. We know your from Dublin. We know you would like to surprise people by pointing out Yeats isn't in fact from Sligo.

Sligo is known as Yeats' County because of Yeats' love for Sligo.
    I somehow doubt you will be remembered the for the same.

:) (just to take the sting out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Nice spiel 'sueme'

I can't think of anyone else famous from Sligo and I don't know my history so I cant say who is linked with Sligo or not.
    I'm quite surprised in myself that I can't think of anyone,think ye have named them all:mad:

sueme wrote: »
    You wern't being sarcastic. You were continuing your never-ending smug "Yeats is from Dublin" monologue. It got boring a few weeks ago.

We know he's from Dublin. We know your from Dublin. We know you would like to surprise people by pointing out Yeats isn't in fact from Sligo.

Sligo is known as Yeats' County because of Yeats' love for Sligo.
    I somehow doubt you will be remembered the for the same.

:) (just to take the sting out)

Some people didn't know he was born in Dublin (see start of thread) while others didn't know his brother or father were also not born in Sligo.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss... I just find it amusing to rib about the fact that out of all the people born in Sligo, the county's is named after a Dub (Or a Dublin born) instead of, for example, Marc Mac Sharry Country.

It's called taking the p*ss, in the same way that Xiney says "They don't call Dublin "Yeats County". I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that".

It's ribbing in a light-hearted way, the same way I listed Marc Mac Sharry in the famous list & said that you can keep the Dub from Westlife.
    If you want to take exception to this, that's your call, but I think most have taken it in the manner it was intended. :confused::cool::pac::p:D:mad: (just to take the sting out)

Some people didn't know he was born in Dublin (see start of thread) while others didn't know his brother or father were also not born in Sligo.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss... I just find it amusing to rib about the fact that out of all the people born in Sligo, the county's is named after a Dub (Or a Dublin born) instead of, for example, Marc Mac Sharry Country.

It's called taking the p*ss, in the same way that Xiney says "They don't call Dublin "Yeats County". I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that".

It's ribbing in a light-hearted way, the same way I listed Marc Mac Sharry in the famous list & said that you can keep the Dub from Westlife.
    If you want to take exception to this, that's your call, but I think most have taken it in the manner it was intended. :confused::cool::pac::p:D:mad: (just to take the sting out)

Touche.

Will you shut up about it now though? :D

Touche.

Will you shut up about it now though? :D

Only if I can start talking about dogging+ or sausages+ again.

(+ = Sligo's most famous exports!)

Knock yourself out.

dachshund.gif

A sausage dog.

Knock yourself out.

dachshund.gif

A sausage dog.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Funniest post I've read in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im glad to see an injection of humour here to diffuse things.

Would people just have a wee think of what they are posting and how it will be read or perceived by others.

Now enjoy the rest of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Essexboy wrote: »

What about Alderman John Jinks who saved the 1927 government from collapse by not turning up to vote? Its supporters got him plastered, then poured him onto a train back home.

I have been trying to find out a bit more about Alderman Jinks after seeing him mentioned in a footnote and started a thread on him in the history forum.

I hope it isnt to cheeky to ask if anyone knows stuff about him to contribute as he does seem to get a bad rap.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68600122&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post68600122

(It isn't an overly serious thread but there does seem to be a bit more substance to him than a boozer who did not turn up for a vote)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Eugene Lambert, the famous puppeteer (Bosco, Wanderly Wagon.) He was born in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

michael fingelton he is pretty famous now

Advertisement