Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Pro £229 - Amazon.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Jet Black wrote: »
    Haven't have any noticeable problems in the last while with the exception of the battery draining faster than it should. Don't have ghosting with this one yet but I had a note 5 that was really bad. I find with the Xiaomi phones they're great for the first while but performance drops quite fast and just turns slow beyond usable after 1.5-2 years.

Well at least I'm getting a replacement without much fuss. The ghosting seems to have improved.....I would be delighted to get 2 years out of it at this stage.

Was tempted to get something different, but hard to get the same spec within the same price range.

Nearly went with the pixel 3a for 289 euro
    Although i see the MI note 10 for 250 sterling today..the 6g /64 version

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Can't make up mind between this phone and the Samsung M31.

Anyone wanna dive in to make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭whizkid9

Jimson wrote: »

yup. if you don't want your personal details spied on by an evil empire choose M31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You started this thread on 1 June. Have you still not bought a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

whizkid9 wrote: »
    yup. if you don't want your personal details spied on by an evil empire choose M31

Haha, Ended up ordering the M31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jimson wrote: »

I'm still using an older Redmi note have no real reason to change it. Main weakness on my Redmi is the camera which is fine in good light. But not great otherwise and on mine the selfie is terrible. But otherwise it's been a great phone. Dislike the bloat but it's not been as bad as Samsung's I've had in the past.

I've never really loved the Samsung's I've had because of the bloat. But the cameras are better on the M31. For that alone I would try the Samsung.

M

You started this thread on 1 June. Have you still not bought a phone?

Can't decide between it and the POCO X3, the lack of stereo speakers puts me off the 9 Pro.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

route66 wrote: »
    1. Does it have an FM radio
    2. Does the IR have a learning function (can you beam an existing remote at the phone and program the phone to "learn" that function)?
    I use Irplus
    I haven't tried learning but check here for sources of codes and other ways to learn.

Lots of TV's are OEM'd so if you can't find the model check the parent brand, like Vestel, UMC etc.

Davexirl wrote: »
    I tried the FM radio today after you asked, yes you do need headphones in. Great phone at a great price, also I have experienced no WiFi issues.
    That's because like every other FM pocket radio you need an antenna and that means either a telescopic one or make use of the headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Can't decide between it and the POCO X3, the lack of stereo speakers puts me off the 9 Pro.

POCO X3 looks to have the better all round specs

• Advertisement
    M

POCO X3 looks to have the better all round specs

Yes I'm going to wait until next Friday, the Xaoimi UK website should have some good deals if I can get it to accept my Revolut card.

You're within shooting distance of a pixel though if you spend much more.

M

beauf wrote: »
    You're within shooting distance of a pixel though if you spend much more.

I need the dual SIM though.

Yeah thats a bit of a showstopper alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wassie wrote: »
    Decide for yourself: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Xiaomi-Redmi-7A-vs-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-9-Pro

For me:
    1 Year newer
    6GB/128GB vs 2GB/16GB
    Faster CPU/GPU
    Fingerprint sensor
    Android 11 vs Android 10
    Higher spec cameras front & back
    Wifi ac
    Bluetooth 5 vs 4
    4K recording
    Gorilla Glass
    USB Type C
    Amazon Warranty
    That's a very good description of the Note 8 Pro. ;)

Except for the Android 11 bit the 9 pro is incrementally better but not a massive step up from the 8 pro, the biggest change might be the location of fingerprint reader on the power button at the side rather than on the back.

Rumour mill says the 8 might get an Android upgrade but it's not certain yet.

Didn't think it would bother me but it does..... definitely no stereo speakers is s big negative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Go for the Poco. Slightly better specs.

The single speaker in the Redmi is a balls alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I would advise against this handset.

I have just posted my second handset back to Amazon.

Sample problem with both. Mobile data just stopped working.
    I tried the switching to flight mode and switch back option
    Multiple different sims.
    Reset each phone.

Nothing, seems to be a conmen problem

This my third Xiaomi handset. No problems with the earlier models. But this one is a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Got my mum the Note 9 on Friday in Kuala Lumpur for €160 and she is thrilled with it. She's not into tech usually but she's been playing with it the past few days. Got her facial recognition set up but fingerprint is not playing ball at the moment. Will have a look at it when am out of isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Witchie wrote: »
    Got my mum the Note 9 on Friday in Kuala Lumpur for €160 and she is thrilled with it. She's not into tech usually but she's been playing with it the past few days. Got her facial recognition set up but fingerprint is not playing ball at the moment. Will have a look at it when am out of isolation.
    Is that the same model as this one on Amazon? It's reduced from £179 to £99. I bought it yesterday as it looks like a great deal. It's not the Pro but for that price it looks like great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I would advise against this handset.

I have just posted my second handset back to Amazon.

Sample problem with both. Mobile data just stopped working.
    I tried the switching to flight mode and switch back option
    Multiple different sims.
    Reset each phone.

Nothing, seems to be a conmen problem

This my third Xiaomi handset. No problems with the earlier models. But this one is a lemon.

I had this problem with my phone earlier this year. Just wouldn't recognize any SIM card. It started working again after a few days (don't know why) but would be weary after.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Is that the same model as this one on Amazon? It's reduced from £179 to £99. I bought it yesterday as it looks like a great deal. It's not the Pro but for that price it looks like great value.

No, hers is the 128gb one. But similar. Hers is a mermaid green colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Badabing1

No, hers is the 128gb one. But similar. Hers is a mermaid green colour.

That model, can you tell me where it says UK version, that will work no problems here U presume? Thankx

Badabing1 wrote: »
    That model, can you tell me where it says UK version, that will work no problems here U presume? Thankx

It's called the global edition in Malaysia. I have been using them for 3 years with no bother here. Just make sure it's global and it's good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Badabing1 wrote: »

UK version comes with a uk/Irl 3 pin plug, only difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

I just stick with the swipe grid thing.
    Wouldn't trust the fingerprint or facial recognition to always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

So... A lot of chat in this thread, hard to filter through.

Q. Is this a good phone and how are ye getting on with it?

Thanks.

Well I'm on my second one.
    First got dust in under the glass on the camera and also developed some ghosting issues...second one so far is going good......like the miui 12 update......

Camera is decent....
    Can handle anything I throw at it....

Hidden side AR Lego game does make it get very hot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

So... A lot of chat in this thread, hard to filter through.

Q. Is this a good phone and how are ye getting on with it?

Thanks.

If I was buying again, I'd probably go for the Poco X3, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the Redmi Note 9 Pro is a great phone and incredible value for money.

Anyone opting for the X3 should be aware that its 2nd simm slot is shared - i.e. you can't have 2 Simms and an SD card as you can in the 9 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Just cant beat the 9 pro for the money. Delighted with mine..

Advertisement