Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2019, 23:43   #46
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasFlynn View Post
Sorry this is ridiculous. He's not the only good sportsman in the world. Lionel Messi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lebron James, Tom Brady etc. All excel in their professions too.
Never heard of them, are they any good at golf?
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 00:01   #47
gormdubhgorm

All I could think of when he took off that cap on the 18th....

'Comeback?
That hair is gone for good and the rest will quickly follow.'
15-04-2019, 00:15   #48
backspin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
All I could think of when he took off that cap on the 18th....

'Comeback?
That hair is gone for good and the rest will quickly follow.'
If he wanted a head of hair he'd have it. He is worth hundreds of millions. Fair play to him for not giving a damn.
15-04-2019, 00:17   #49
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It was my (at the time) 87 year old granny who filled me in on the whole Tiger debacle a decade ago. Lovin’ the goss, so she was. Puffing away on cigs, conspiratorially telling me about all the different women. It’s one of my favourite memories of her.
15-04-2019, 00:19   #50
Tilikum17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoms for Peace View Post
I never liked Tiger at the height of his success, too corporate, clean and boring.
But after a very public implosion involving seedy deeds, a marriage break up and then health issues I'm glad he's back on top.

"It's the come back story of a lifetime"
He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived. What he did tonight was unbelievable.

You can tell your grand children you lived in the time of Tiger Woods because they’ll never be anything like him again.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 00:32   #51
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum17 View Post
He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived. What he did tonight was unbelievable.

You can tell your grand children you lived in the time of Tiger Woods because they’ll never be anything like him again.
No he's not. He's arguably not even the greatest at his own frigging sport.

Plenty of great sports people who have transcended their sports as much as Woods has easily, but Woods fans really take the biscuit when it comes to being relentless sycophants.
15-04-2019, 00:34   #52
Junkyard Tom

Quote:
He’s the greatest sportsman that’s ever lived.
For whacking a rubber ball around the fields with a metal bat?

No.
15-04-2019, 00:36   #53
Tilikum17

Who’s better?
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 00:37   #54
Richard Hillman

It's a great comeback. He was absolutely finished both mentally and physically. When he was able to play, he was awful. Then he sorted himself out, took a break and got himself ready again. The scenes from the tour championship last year gave me goosebumps and my eyes were a little bit watery tonight.

I don't think he was ever really loved in his hay day. He was a child prodigy, more powerful than anybody in the field and quite robotic. Then when he messed up people were like "meh, never really liked him". But his life **** ups made him human. Not a very nice person, but human. His comeback seems to have made him a better person.
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 00:38   #55
clappyhappy

I was living in dubai from 97 to 2008 at the height of tigers career. One of my best friends was the pro at the golf club where the dubai desert classic took place. The stories he told us about tiger when he took part in the tournament are unbelievable. I'm delighted to see him back at the top, it really is one of the biggest sporting comebacks of all time and to see him with his mum, kids and girlfriend I think he's sown his wild oats and now realises what's important to him. None of us are perfect and I hope he wins many more majors.
15-04-2019, 00:40   #56
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Who’s better?
Federer's the greatest tennis player ever, and there's lot less uncertainty that he's the GOAT of the sport. He also passed Sampras's record unlike Woods who has not as of yet to pass Nicklaus.

Pele, Maradona, Messi in football.

Ali in boxing.

Various olympians.

Tom Brady in American football.

Don Bradman/Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket

Michael Jordan in Basketball

Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey

Come on there are plenty who are a match for Woods.
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 00:43   #57
Tilikum17

Quote:
No he's not. He's arguably not even the greatest at his own frigging sport.

Plenty of great sports people who have transcended their sports as much as Woods has easily, but Woods fans really take the biscuit when it comes to being relentless sycophants.
You think Jack is better? You only need to look at their stats. Tiger pisses all over his stats. You can’t compare them with majors...jack played against far weaker fields. The 14 tiger won were against stronger fields & now the fields are even stronger again. No one will win 14 after this.

The fact that a 43 yr old with a fused back could go out & intimidate them just shows you how incredible tiger is.
(2) thanks from:
15-04-2019, 00:43   #58
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clappyhappy View Post
None of us are perfect and I hope he wins many more majors.
He is 43 now. This may not be his last but 'many more' would surely be a stretch.
15-04-2019, 00:47   #59
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
You think Jack is better? You only need to look at their stats. Tiger pisses all over his stats. You can’t compare them with majors...jack played against far weaker fields. The 14 tiger won were against stronger fields & now the fields are even stronger again. No one will win 14 after this.

The fact that a 43 yr old with a fused back could go out & intimidate them just shows you how incredible tiger is.
I think there is a good argument for Nicklaus yeah, I don't mind people thinking Tiger is the GOAT, but no way is he "undisputed". A lot of people do still think Nicklaus, yougov did a poll on it recently and Nicklaus won, although there was a clear generational bias.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/life...-jack-nicklaus
15-04-2019, 00:48   #60
Tilikum17

Quote:
Federer's the greatest tennis player ever, and there's lot less uncertainty that he's the GOAT of the sport. He also passed Sampras's record unlike Woods who has not as of yet to pass Nicklaus.

Pele, Maradona, Messi in football.

Ali in boxing.

Various olympians.

Tom Brady in American football.

Don Bradman/Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket

Michael Jordan in Basketball

Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey

Come on there are plenty who are a match for Woods.
I think golf is far more difficult to master than any of those sports. But that’s just my opinion.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion