Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 16:59   #61
Hector Savage
Registered User
 
Hector Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,315




Mod-Banned
Attached Images
File Type: png short.png (565.6 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by Nosnon; 12-04-2019 at 18:42.
Hector Savage is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 16:59   #62
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandpoitin View Post
Wow you are right !!! Then literally everything is a hate crime, as someone will perceive something perfectly innocent as a racial slur. That is a ridiculous definition.
It is the definition you posted.
ohnonotgmail is online now  
Thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:00   #63
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post


classy as always.
ohnonotgmail is online now  
(4) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:02   #64
Candie
Registered User
 
Candie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
Not really 😊
The wedding's off.
Candie is offline  
Thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:02   #65
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall_Guy View Post
Compassion runs both ways. A pair of inner city kids doing something stupid may be "scumbags" like you say....or they may be young kids with **** parents, no education and lives that you wouldn't swap places with all too quickly....just saying.
Wow, the mental gymnastics.

They're responsible for their own behaviour.

Where's the evidence that they're from a sh1t background?

No, compassion doesn't always run both ways (where did you pull that from?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by How Soon Is Now View Post
Meh.

Hate crime lol!!

The real story here is the athleticism shown by the young fella! Future Olympian down the line ?
And it was also a really sh1tty thing to do to someone on their own and unable to defend themselves... uncool and all as it is to acknowledge that lol!!!
Gimme A Pound is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 17:04   #66
vonlars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 80
It was a hate crime because it was motivated by prejudice. Do you think they'd have hopped over a person of regular height? They assaulted her based solely on her disability, therefore a hate crime.

Some of ye would really want to wise up
vonlars is offline  
Thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:12   #67
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonlars View Post
It was a hate crime because it was motivated by prejudice. Do you think they'd have hopped over a person of regular height? They assaulted her based solely on her disability, therefore a hate crime.

Some of ye would really want to wise up
Compassion is for pussies.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:13   #68
soupandpoitin
Registered User
 
soupandpoitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonlars View Post
It was a hate crime because it was motivated by prejudice. Do you think they'd have hopped over a person of regular height? They assaulted her based solely on her disability, therefore a hate crime.

Some of ye would really want to wise up
They would have come up with some other way with someone else. If the person was a culchie for example, they would have mocked their accent. Is that a hate crime? Not according to the garda definition as being a culchie isn't a protected "term" like person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.

But sure no one cares unless you are in one of those special groups. I guess we will all be old someday, then we can perceive to be discriminated against all the time and it's a hate crime every time.
soupandpoitin is offline  
12-04-2019, 17:14   #69
TheDavester
Registered User
 
TheDavester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,230
The Late Late Show has its misery spot next week
TheDavester is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 17:15   #70
soupandpoitin
Registered User
 
soupandpoitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
It is the definition you posted.
It's not my definition, it's the definition of the authority that enforces the law of the country so it should be the correct one.

I'm not saying it's not the legal definition, I'm just saying it's a ridiculous definition - whoever came up with that legislation has zero intelligence or doesn't care about justice.

Some on here think compassion and caring about the correct definition of crimes are mutually exclusive. I would argue the opposite - if you are sloppy about legal definitions then you don't really care about people at all. I'm still astonished at the actual definition of hate crime in this country.

Compassion is not jumping on the latest bandwagon about who are victims and perpetrators in society - it's about truth. Who are the actual victims - not the ones that shout the loudest.

I have a huge amount of compassion for this woman. That doesn't stop me criticising what I see as badly written law.

Last edited by soupandpoitin; 12-04-2019 at 17:21.
soupandpoitin is offline  
12-04-2019, 17:19   #71
Gimme A Pound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandpoitin View Post
They would have come up with some other way with someone else. If the person was a culchie for example, they would have mocked their accent. Is that a hate crime? Not according to the garda definition as being a culchie isn't a protected "term" like person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.

But sure no one cares unless you are in one of those special groups. I guess we will all be old someday, then we can perceive to be discriminated against all the time and it's a hate crime every time.
"No one cares"? Speak for yourself dude. People regularly start threads here about sh1tty things being done to defenceless people, whether they're part of a group or not.

If anything there is an active effort to show less empathy here because of the woman's size.

And I'd put money on two ways there would be more empathy shown - if she were a man and the two scumbags were girls, or if the two scumbags were muslim/African/travellers.

Identity politics works in various ways.

Sh1tty behaviour is sh1tty behaviour - the type of person the perpetrator/victim is shouldn't change anything.
Gimme A Pound is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:21   #72
Fall_Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Grumpy Crystal View Post
Wow, the mental gymnastics.

They're responsible for their own behaviour.

Where's the evidence that they're from a sh1t background?

No, compassion doesn't always run both ways (where did you pull that from?)

And it was also a really sh1tty thing to do to someone on their own and unable to defend themselves... uncool and all as it is to acknowledge that lol!!!
I never said they are from a really ****ty background, I just said that they may be. I don't know for certain, but I'm making an educated guess that i am happy to say from the outset may be wrong. As i said in my earlier post.

I just don't see anything compassionate about branding kids as scumbags based on ignorant, thoughtless behaviour.

It 100% was a really ****ty thing to do, as you say. You seem to be very quick to claim people are being discompassionate towards the victim, while also failing to show any compassion towards the people who committed the stupid act. Its not a case of evil people torturing good people here, it's ignorant people hurting an innocent party.

I don't know if its cool or not, but its completely unhelpful to brand the young lads in this case as "scumbags".
Fall_Guy is offline  
12-04-2019, 17:23   #73
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandpoitin View Post
It's not my definition, it's the definition of the authority that enforces the law of the country so it should be the correct one.

I'm not saying it's not the legal definition, I'm just saying it's a ridiculous definition - whoever came up with that legislation has zero intelligence or doesn't care about justice.

Some on here think compassion and caring about the correct definition of crimes are mutually exclusive. I would argue the opposite - if you are sloppy about legal definitions then you don't really care about people at all. I'm still astonished at the actual definition of hate crime in this country.

Compassion is not jumping on the latest bandwagon about who are victims and perpetrators in society - it's about truth. Who are the actual victims - not the ones that shout the loudest.

I have a huge amount of compassion for this woman. That doesn't stop me criticising what I see as badly written law.
You certainly haven't shown any compassion towards her. And the actual victim in this instance is clear. You seem to be implying that she is not a victim.
ohnonotgmail is online now  
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 17:25   #74
Candie
Registered User
 
Candie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Grumpy Crystal View Post
If anything there is an active effort to show less empathy here because of the woman's size.
Those guys wanted a cheap laugh at that poor womans expense and completely dehumanized her, and that is exactly what a lot of posters on this thread have done too with cheap jokes at the victims expense.

It quickly got around to straight white men getting no sympathy and finally wound up with it being no big deal anyway. Depressing, but not surprising.
Candie is offline  
12-04-2019, 17:33   #75
soupandpoitin
Registered User
 
soupandpoitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Those guys wanted a cheap laugh at that poor womans expense and completely dehumanized her, and that is exactly what a lot of posters on this thread have done too with cheap jokes at the victims expense.

It quickly got around to straight white men getting no sympathy and finally wound up with it being no big deal anyway. Depressing, but not surprising.
i agree some of the cheap shots on here by some posters are no better than the original attack.

It's anyone outside the protected groups, not just straight white men. If you are inside the protected group you can "perceive" to be a victim and get someone arrested and possibly imprisoned.

I am absolutely in favour of hate crime legislation, but it shouldn't be narrowly restricted to certain groups, and there should be some clear objective definition of it. Not something subjective that is wide open to abuse.
soupandpoitin is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet