Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-04-2019, 16:39   #46
recedite

So, there's no sign of the video on the internet.

But I did find out that leap frogging is banned in the dwarf olympics.

And 4 midgets can beat a camel...

A very close race though.
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 16:40   #47
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandpoitin View Post
It doesn't fit the legal definition.

‘Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by hate, based on a person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation’ .

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Hate-c...te-crime-.html
You're right. I guess I just think it's a hateful act in itself to demean someone because of their difference.
12-04-2019, 16:42   #48
soupandpoitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post

Now, do you think that people should be free to insult every black person they walk past with racial abuse? It's only verbal and no physical assault takes place. Or if someone was jewish, or arab or whatever. Should it be legal to racially abuse them?

Now, if you said yes, what's the difference between them and a little person?
If they are specifically targeting black people, then it is racial abuse. If they are targeting ANYONE they see as a soft touch, who they think they can humiliate or frighten and get away with it, then it isn't. There is a big difference. It might not feel any different to the victim, but that's not the point.

Those two "gents" would have been equally abusive to anyone else, especially anyone different than them. They would be just as likely to do something to me because I'm bald.

The outcome might be the same, but the motivation is very different. Confusing one with the other spreads distrust in society.
12-04-2019, 16:44   #49
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
You're right. I guess I just think it's a hateful act in itself to demean someone because of their difference.
No, not a hateful act as they didn’t do it out of hatred. Highly insensitive yes, but not hateful.
Thanks from:
12-04-2019, 16:44   #50
is_that_so

Quote:
The lady was assaulted, as per the definition. It is a hate crime, perpetrated because of the group she belongs to, as per the definition.

I'm not saying I agree with the term, I am just saying that the crime fits the legal definition. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
It requires discrimination under one of the categories. Disability is about the only one that could be claimed but with this age group anti-social behaviour and possibly assault would be the only legal options that could be established.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._children.html
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 16:49   #51
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
You'd have to admit there is a hint of Monty Python about it, but of course in the age of perpetual victimhood the reaction was only going to go one way.
You'd have to would you? Yeah the woman being upset by what those scumbags did to her when she was on her own and couldn't defend herself - could only be an example of perpetual victimhood (so fu*king what if it's like Monty Python? Does that mitigate it being a sh1tty thing to do to someone or are you really so enslaved to looking like an internet toughie that you can't even admit it?)

The way people are so eager to show how tough and edgy they are here is quite something to behold. Not to mention the lengths to downplay the incident.

And she *wasn't* assaulted?

It's ok to be compassionate, honestly - it won't make you look like a snowflake (or whatever bollox term is getting used of late).

Last edited by Gimme A Pound; 14-04-2019 at 09:36.
12-04-2019, 16:52   #52
Grayson

Quote:
If they are specifically targeting black people, then it is racial abuse. If they are targeting ANYONE they see as a soft touch, who they think they can humiliate or frighten and get away with it, then it isn't. There is a big difference. It might not feel any different to the victim, but that's not the point.

Those two "gents" would have been equally abusive to anyone else, especially anyone different than them. They would be just as likely to do something to me because I'm bald.

The outcome might be the same, but the motivation is very different. Confusing one with the other spreads distrust in society.
That means it can only be a hate crime if there's a certain amount of premeditation. Just scrolling past someone and calling them the n-word wouldn't count.
12-04-2019, 16:53   #53
soupandpoitin

It's also the latest thing where you get bonus points for some sort of discrimination based on your group identity.

Straight white Irishman gets robbed and beaten in an attack .... unfortunate.
Lesbian black short person gets robbed and beaten in an attack BY THE SAME PERSON .... HATE CRIME !!!!

Some scrote spray paints a hammer and sickle symbol on well known gay bar in Dublin ... vandalism.
Same scrote spray paints a Nazi symbol on well known gay bar in Dublin ... HATE CRIME !!!
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 16:53   #54
Fall_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
Yeah the woman being upset by what those scumbags did to her when she was on her own and couldn't defend herself - could only be an example of perpetual victimhood.

The way people are so eager to show how tough and edgy they are here is quite something to behold. Not to mention the lengths to downplay it.

And she *wasn't* assaulted?

It's ok to be compassionate, honestly - it won't make you look like a snowflake (or whatever bollox term is getting used of late).
Compassion runs both ways. A pair of inner city kids doing something stupid may be "scumbags" like you say....or they may be young kids with **** parents, no education and lives that you wouldn't swap places with all too quickly....just saying.
Advertisement
12-04-2019, 16:54   #55
How Soon Is Now

Send a message via Yahoo to How Soon Is Now Send a message via Skype™ to How Soon Is Now
Meh.

Hate crime lol!!

The real story here is the athleticism shown by the young fella! Future Olympian down the line ?
12-04-2019, 16:54   #56
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
No, not a hateful act as they didn’t do it out of hatred. Highly insensitive yes, but not hateful.
Ok, not motivated by hate, but still a hateful incident in that I hate that it happens, that anything like that happens anyone. Can we not agree on that much?
12-04-2019, 16:55   #57
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
It doesn't fit the legal definition.

‘Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by hate, based on a person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation’ .

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Hate-c...te-crime-.html
I have bolded an important part you seem to have missed.
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2019, 16:56   #58
soupandpoitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
That means it can only be a hate crime if there's a certain amount of premeditation. Just scrolling past someone and calling them the n-word wouldn't count.
Strictly speaking, this is correct. However you would be in trouble for it. It's not a crime to call me a bald **** but it is to call me a ****** or a n-word.
12-04-2019, 16:57   #59
soupandpoitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
I have bolded an important part you seem to have missed.

Wow you are right !!! I certainly did miss that !!!!

Then literally everything is a hate crime, as someone will perceive something perfectly innocent as a racial slur. That is a ridiculous definition.

Imagine other crimes were defined like that .... "I perceive I was robbed by the defendant Your Honour, therefore the defendant is guilty, even though they were in Spain at the time". Or even worse "Johnny down the road perceived I was robbed, even though I perceive I wasn't, so the defendant is guilty".

Last edited by soupandpoitin; 12-04-2019 at 17:03.
12-04-2019, 16:59   #60
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Ok, not motivated by hate, but still a hateful incident in that I hate that it happens, that anything like that happens anyone. Can we not agree on that much?
Not really, you can’t redefine words! But I do understand what you mean! 😊

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion