Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2019, 23:50   #31
Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
If things don't work out, who is hit hardest, who does the state side with?
You mean not working out like this:

In 2017, there were 15,833 disclosures of domestic violence against women noted during 21,451 contacts with Women's Aid Direct Services. There were 10,281 incidents of emotional abuse, 3,502 incidents of physical abuse and 1,443 incidents of financial abuse disclosed. In the same year, 607 incidents of sexual abuse were disclosed to our services including 323 rapes. The Women's Aid National Helpline responded to 15,952 calls in 2016. (Women's Aid Impact Report 2017)
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 23:53   #32
Sorry about that

And just to add, you said women have all the power IN relationships- not when they end.
02-04-2019, 23:54   #33
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
If things don't work out, who is hit hardest, who does the state side with?
No disagreement there, and there are relationships where the man is treated badly too, but it's a bit extreme to say men are better off single when plenty are happily married or in a couple, and saying "women have all the power in marriages nowadays" discounts the relationships where the woman is being treated badly.
Thanks from:
02-04-2019, 23:57   #34
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry about that View Post
And just to add, you said women have all the power IN relationships- not when they end.
I assumed he meant non violent relationships.
02-04-2019, 23:57   #35
Richard Hillman

It has its great points and I have really taken advantage of my freedom over the years, but when you've realised you have missed the boat it does hit you a bit

Pro's:
You're not bound to somebody.
You can travel anywhere.
You can change jobs
You can move without notice.
The freedom is tremendous.

Cons
Admittedly you can get lonely at times, especially when you don't have family.
You're likely never to own your own home (unless inherited)
You're absolutely screwed when you retire. You don't have a double income, the central bank wouldnt let you get a mortgage (unless you were earning really good money) and you spent all of your money on rent. The day you retire, you may as well pop down to the local train line.

Saying all that, there can be nothing worse than being in a relationship and being misserable. There are no perks in that.
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 00:06   #36
Tuco88

If you ask me, a person that is single can live with it manage it more so than a person stuck in a horrid/not happy relationship.

Its generally other people can't handle you being single. Prime example is at a wedding.
03-04-2019, 00:06   #37
Jet Black

Was single for ten years plus and loved it. The worst part of it was people thinking I needed to be with someone to be happy and trying to 'help me'. I lived by myself then for the last few years and thought I'd find that hard, but I liked that even more. Being able to do what you want, when you want and have no-one to answer to was brilliant. I only met someone a few years ago and that's been great too, I do miss the single life sometimes but I'm definitely happier now being with someone.
(3) thanks from:
03-04-2019, 00:26   #38
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
When I was a 20 year old loser I thought the life of the player would bring me happiness.

Now I'm a 31 year loser who sleeps around regualry. Ons and short flings get old. I want a girlfriend, I want 'the one'.

But even though I've never had so much success with women, I feel the ship has sailed for me.
Why would it have? Your situation is similar to that of countless men who meet the woman they want to marry when they're in their mid to late 30s.

E.g. both my brothers.
Thanks from:
03-04-2019, 00:34   #39
Richard Hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco88 View Post
If you ask me, a person that is single can live with it manage it more so than a person stuck in a horrid/not happy relationship.

Its generally other people can't handle you being single. Prime example is at a wedding.
The wedding thing is actually great when you're single, for me anyway. A lot of my friends have been/are getting married over the last number of years. Its good because you can just do your own thing for the day. You can get as drunk and rambunctious as you like with nobody there to entertain.

Being single also reduces your likelihood of having to attend weddings. If she gets an invite, you have to go. If I get an invite, she has to go. I'm nobodys +1 for a wedding of which I know nobody there and frankly don't care about.

Last edited by Richard Hillman; 04-04-2019 at 22:52.
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 00:35   #40
TheMilkyPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Because I feel like I should have lived the way I am now in my 20s. Got it out of my system. Then met the right girl around 27 and settled. Feel like I'm way behind schedule Almost all my friend's are married.

I think being ignored by women for much of my 20s has left me with serious commitment issues. Maybe even a embryonic sex addiction.
There is no schedule. Everyone lives their life on different timelines
03-04-2019, 00:35   #41

Some of my friends settled down with people they shouldn't have and now regret it

I love my free and single life at the min , age 28 but don't want to end up the been the 40 year old single man that had to go for pints for some social interaction.

I like freedom,. But putting up with someone bitching and moaning at me constantly I don't think I could hack it.

If the right lady comes along and turns into a **** once were married I'll kick her out the door
Thanks from:
03-04-2019, 00:43   #42
dd973

Can't see why people can't marry and live apart, aside from going on holiday together and the occasional bout of physical joie de vivre, the kids could mostly live with mum and pop over now and again, divorce rates would go down exponentially.

I'm in my 40's and still alone, wonder why?
03-04-2019, 01:02   #43
Airyfairy12

I really enjoy being single, if I met someone id embrace it but as it stands, I can do what I want or whatever I dont want and dont have to please anyone but myself. Relationships are hard work and stressful, my friends that are in relationships are constantly in a cycle of having massive rows and not speaking for weeks only to make up, get on for a short time before the next row happens and their stressed out and back in couple therapy or planning on breaking up and most of them arent even having regular sex.
Im genuinely happier single than ive ever been in a relationship and it would take someone very special for me to want to change my situation.
03-04-2019, 01:14   #44
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFAN View Post
Maybe it's your age that protects you from it. Yes, I've travelled the world on my own but as I get older it worries me. "what the hell if something happens to me and no-one even realises?".
Get a cat. I have cats so when something happens to me the meat won't go to waste.
03-04-2019, 01:16   #45
Purple Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
Get a cat. I have cats so when something happens to me the meat won't go to waste.
Christ on a bike.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion