Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

903 new safety camera zones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Lundstram wrote: »
    Pure greed.

No more, no less.

Gosafe make lots of money, but at a cost to the taxpayer

The consortium was paid €17.27million in 2017, of which €7.5million was recouped for the Exchequer through fines paid by motorists.

Operating at a €10 million loss

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

earlytobed wrote: »

The consortium was paid €17.27million in 2017, of which €7.5million was recouped for the Exchequer through fines paid by motorists.

It's actually laughable to be honest.....

The state are going mad to privatise everything and in the end it ends up costing way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

They must.be catching f**" all if they're losing that much money

Gosafe van should easily pay for itself in the right locations

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

earlytobed wrote: »

based on figures that are probably about 15-20 years old now, each fatality on our roads costed €1,000,000.
    Surely the loss on paper is actually not a real loss?

The state are going mad to privatise everything and in the end it ends up costing way more.
    How so?
    It has freed up garda resources and also helps keep the fatality rate down

Xwebstar wrote: »
    They must.be catching f**" all if they're losing that much money

Gosafe van should easily pay for itself in the right locations

They're not necessarily there to "catch" people, they are supposed to have a role in changing behaviour.

They're often in a spot that can be seen well before you come into range

• Advertisement

based on figures that are probably about 15-20 years old now, each fatality on our roads costed €1,000,000.

How so?

The figures quoted are 2017

Where's that costing of €1 million per fatality coming.from?

C5.3 Accident Costs - RSA.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Glad to see a main road nearby to me is on the map, it's a 50 kmh zone but the speed some drivers do is disgraceful.

How so?

Have you seen any Garda freed up from this???

Eh no as traffic corp numbers dropped ... Obviously now called roads policing as of the 1 million etc breathalyser checks done under the old that actually weren't carried out....

Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

People seem to want it both ways when it comes to speed vans. The fact they take in money apparently a bad thing. But the fact they operate at a loss overall is also a bad thing?

Fire, ambulance, costs of clean up etc etc and of course money lost such as prsi, paye, vat etc....

People seem to want it both ways when it comes to speed vans. The fact they take in money apparently a bad thing. But the fact they operate at a loss overall is also a bad thing?

If they actually saved lives....

It's not all about speeding....

Texting, watching videos, plating games, social media etc on phone is only a €60 fine..... That's so wrong.

Have you seen any Garda freed up from this???

Eh no as traffic corp numbers dropped ... Obviously now called roads policing as of the 1 million etc breathalyser checks done under the old that actually weren't carried out....

Laughable
    How many gardai would it take to perform the same tasks as GoSafe?
    The fact that they're not doing the speed checks means that they are now able to work elsewhere.
    It's simple resourcing really, not sure why you fail to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

How so?

There’s a road i know of where a speed van location is. 100 yards down the road further there’s a gard constantly with a speed gun. So it didn’t free up his time.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There’s a road i know of where a speed van location is. 100 yards down the road further there’s a gard constantly with a speed gun. So it didn’t free up his time.

That's a Garda tactic to catch motorists speeding near to known speed vans

They do it regularly

I didn't say that it would :rolleyes:
    However, the garda that would otherwise have been in the van can now be on duty elsewhere.
    Again, it's not rocket science!

Plus if he is there "constantly" then I can safely assume that there is a reason for that!
    Where is this place exactly?

That's a Garda tactic to catch motorists speeding near to known speed vans

They do it regularly

No it’s not. It’s a huge ticket generator for the cop. It’s a huge wide safe road that has a ridiculously low speed limit and that’s where he/she sits. What pisses me off is that down the road a bit from there where i live there’s a dangerous narrow road that comes into the built up area that has kids playing and a lot of people walking around and the cars come full belt up it. Peoples pets have been killed also.

The cop is never there because he knows he’ll never get as many tickets like he gets on the other road.

I didn't say that it would :rolleyes:
    However, the garda that would otherwise have been in the van can now be on duty elsewhere.
    Again, it's not rocket science!

Plus if he is there "constantly" then I can safely assume that there is a reason for that!
    Where is this place exactly?

Yes there’s a reason, read my last post

Yes there’s a reason, read my last post
    He wouldn't be there if people weren't speeding though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

How many gardai would it take to perform the same tasks as GoSafe?
    The fact that they're not doing the speed checks means that they are now able to work elsewhere.
    It's simple resourcing really, not sure why you fail to see it.

Yea, now they are set up outside Supermacs :)

He wouldn't be there if people weren't speeding though!

You mustn’t get it. So is it being about being slightly over the speed limit on a safe patch of road or preventing something nasty happening on a more dangerous road for the sake of boasting back at the station on how many tickets he wrote out?

Where i might add there’s already a speedvan in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

A few red light cameras would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'd prefer if they would actually enforce peoples headlights. Could repay the National debt within weeks if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

shane ross's one last 'F you ' to drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drive 40 km to work on a rural road. 25 km will be speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I drive 40 km to work on a rural road. 25 km will be speed cameras.

But they'll be parked in certain spots..
    You won't be long learning where exactly they park up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Most of them in Dublin City are in 30kph Zones which isn't possible if there is any sort of flow of traffic. Will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I read this morning that they are also taking down the ‘speed camera zone’ signs and replacing them with speed limit signs to really **** you over too! The odd time you’d see the speed camera sign and it would remind you to check your speed. Now they’re just out to get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Speed limits in a form as we know it are inconsistent and doesn't make sense in general.

In the region where I used to live in Mayo, there are roads with 80km/h speed limit which are wide and good visibility, as well as much narrower roads with blind bends with 100km/h speed limit.
    You get occasional stretches marked at 50km/h pretending to be in built up areas while all there is around is fences and mountains, while you get 100km/h road going through viallage with shops, church, pubs, etc...

I'm not saying that speed limits are not needed, but IMO many drivers are deceived in believing that if they obey speed limit they are driving safe.
    Bullsh1t in my opinion.
    Nothing unsafe of able driver doing 200km/h on empty motorway in a good car, and plenty wrong with half blind, tired 90 year old with very slow reactions driving his almost bald tyres, barely NCT legal old car at 100km/h limit in dense rain through the village.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I see they will be on the M4 going into Dublin, all the way on the M50 to the airport and N4 going up to the M50 roundabout. Nice little cash earner there.

Only against impatient drivers.

Advertisement