Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bennya wrote: »
    They'll do fcuk all. I emailed the company owning this truck that pushed me out of lane and never got a response.

(I sped up to allow him to merge behind me, as the car behind had left loads of room to do so)

Without having a rear view camera very difficult to judge if your speeding up had a causality effect of putting/keeping you in a trucks blind spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Without having a rear view camera very difficult to judge if your speeding up had a causality effect of putting/keeping you in a trucks blind spot.

He knew I was there, for definite. The camera exaggerates the distances and I really only went forward a few metres. Appreciate it's difficult for someone who wasn't there to judge, but he was intent on pushing his way in, and if i didn't have the slip lane next to me to duck into, there would have been contact - and he knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I would have stuck to my lane and allowed contact, but then again am thick as feck and drive an 07 so no loss. :P

He knew I was there, for definite. The camera exaggerates the distances and I really only went forward a few metres. Appreciate it's difficult for someone who wasn't there to judge, but he was intent on pushing his way in, and if i didn't have the slip lane next to me to duck into, there would have been contact - and he knew that.

You were the man in the driving seat, you made the decision, personally I would have probably slowed rather than accelerate into a danger position, but hey no one got hurt, no metal/plastic got bashed so a good day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They'll do fcuk all. I emailed the company owning this truck that pushed me out of lane and never got a response.

(I sped up to allow him to merge behind me, as the car behind had left loads of room to do so)

Sentence makes no sense, why not slow down and let him in. You don't speed up to allow someone in - literally slowing down by a few mph and every one on their way, this is the stuff of the English dash cam of causing an incident
    If it came to a case of damage you would probably lose by forcing your position

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sentence makes no sense, why not slow down and let him in. You don't speed up to allow someone in - literally slowing down by a few mph and every one on their way, this is the stuff of the English dash cam of causing an incident

Of course it makes sense. A car accelerates faster than a truck so getting your ass out of the way by going faster works better than slowing down in some situations.
    But do it in a "**** the speed limit for a few seconds" way and floor it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

By that reasoning why didn't the truck just stay in the lane shown to be M50 north by several signs he passed before hand and not cut in at literally the last minute. I'd imagine he was trying to do what I see a lot of truck drivers do and that is skip to the top of the off ramp find a truck and indicate as you pass him. It must be some unwritten rule among truck drivers. I'm all for giving truck drivers space but no way did this gob****e not realise that cam car was there and then he beeps him as if cam car is at fault. :mad: Cam car would've lost nothing if there was contact with the exception of time and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

...and here we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

If someone really 'has' to overtake 2 cars why would they not at least use the empty bus lane to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Autecher wrote: »
    If someone really 'has' to overtake 2 cars why would they not at least use the empty bus lane to do it?

Clown

• Advertisement

Autecher wrote: »

Both could incur a ticket, though I think only the driving on the hatched area carries points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Hope this fella carries a organ donor card....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Hope this fella carries a organ donor card....

Whether he does or not makes no difference. Organ donation as of now, is decided by the Next of Kin rather than the present user of the said organs!

That's very tame in comparison to some of the videos on youtube uploaded by suicidal bike riders.
    search"crazy and stupid Brazilian biker high speed in traffic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Whether he does or not makes no difference. Organ donation as of now, is decided by the Next of Kin rather than the present user of the said organs!

Plus, if he hits anything on that at that speed none of them would be much use.
    dolanbaker wrote: »
    That's very tame in comparison to some of the videos on youtube uploaded by suicidal bike riders.

First person will always look worse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Or y'know, the truck driver could get in the correct lane where the big overhead signs tell him to, several hundred metres before this point, rather than trying to pull a crafty one and skip the queue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

fullstop wrote: »
    Or y'know, the truck driver could get in the correct lane where the big overhead signs tell him to, several hundred metres before this point, rather than trying to pull a crafty one and skip the queue.

And they ALWAYS do it there (i mean drivers in general). Sometimes they will drive further up and push across the hatch markings instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

dolanbaker wrote: »

Indeed, the vast majority of stuff posted here by users will be very tame compared to your average Russian or Brazilian compilation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Indeed, the vast majority of stuff posted here by users will be very tame compared to your average Russian or Brazilian compilation.

Thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Two on my way home from work.
    They're both fairly self-explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You could have made both

McCrack wrote: »
    You could have made both

I always approach a light which has been green for some time as if it'd go orange at any moment, so I slow down on approach.

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I always approach a light which has been green for some time as if it'd go orange at any moment, so I slow down on approach.

That can be sensible roadcraft but not necessary in the junctions you posted in the videos

McCrack wrote: »
    That can be sensible roadcraft but not necessary in the junctions you posted in the videos

How so?

Amber means stop.

Crock Rock wrote: »
    How so?

Amber means stop.

Amber means Stop unless unsafe to do so. Don't think its changed in the fundamentals since 1964

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

13 Traffic lights

13.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4) of this bye-law, a driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows a red light shall not proceed beyond the stop line at that light or, if there is no such stop line, beyond that light.

(2) A driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows an amber light while no other traffic light lamp (immediately above or below) shows any light, shall not proceed beyond the stop line at that light (or, if there is no such stop line, beyond the light) save when the vehicle is so close to the stop line when the amber light shows that the vehicle cannot safely be halted before crossing the stop line.

(3) A driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows a green light (other than a green arrow) may, in accordance with these bye-laws, proceed past that light.

(4) A driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows a lighted green arrow may, in accordance with these bye-laws, proceed in the direction indicated by the arrow, notwithstanding that another traffic light lamp facing the driver shows a red light.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Amber means Stop unless unsafe to do so. Don't think its changed in the fundamentals since 1964

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

Yes and that just confirms that Crock Rock was correct to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

he stopped safely so how could it be justified to continue across?

Isambard wrote: »
    he stopped safely so how could it be justified to continue across?

Perhaps

Depends what was behind him.. Judging by his other thread of pedestrian crossings his general over caution can lend himself to bother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's no perhaps about it. He stopped safely. People are too used to being amber gamblers, it's now become red gamblers....

Advertisement