Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

frannkie95 wrote: »
    I am talking specifically about ones that result in fixed charge notices, as in ones where Gardai do not pull you over on the spot

Same principle applies.

They can do it anywhere they want.

Hi guys. Am I correct in thinking, if you approach a Go-Safe van from the FRONT (i.e. where the engine is), and you're above the speed limit, that you won't be caught for speeding as long as you're under speed limit by the time you're passing the back of the van?
    I know that if you pass the van or come towards the van, from the BACK, that it will capture your speed. i.e. coming to or going from the back of the van.

From looking at the Garda Go-Safe website I see there's a camera at the front of the van "primarily for capturing motorbike reg numbers".

I approached one from the front this morning, probably just under 10KM over speed limit is my estimate so likely a fine if a fully functioning speed camera is mounted at the front- so just wondering is a ticket/fine etc a distinct possibility? I passed the van from front to back but was well under speed limit when passing the back of it so not worried about that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi guys. Am I correct in thinking, if you approach a Go-Safe van from the FRONT (i.e. where the engine is), and you're above the speed limit, that you won't be caught for speeding as long as you're under speed limit by the time you're passing the back of the van?
    I know that if you pass the van or come towards the van, from the BACK, that it will capture your speed. i.e. coming to or going from the back of the van.

From looking at the Garda Go-Safe website I see there's a camera at the front of the van "primarily for capturing motorbike reg numbers".

I approached one from the front this morning, probably just under 10KM over speed limit is my estimate so likely a fine if a fully functioning speed camera is mounted at the front- so just wondering is a ticket/fine etc a distinct possibility? I passed the van from front to back but was well under speed limit when passing the back of it so not worried about that aspect.

If you were under the limit when you passed the back you'll be fine.

I'm a bit worried myself at the moment as I was on the N7 inbound last week and may have been about 10ish over (mid afternoon so easy to do) in easy flowing traffic and didn't spot it till I was nearly on it (3 lanes of traffic and I was more watching the lane and cars behind and around me than a van on the side of the road).

Have to wait and see but I hope not. Already have a few and while they drop off later this year, it could be painful in the meantime

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given speedos tend to under read by a few KM's below your actual speed you might get away with it K.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If you were under the limit when you passed the back you'll be fine.

I'm a bit worried myself at the moment as I was on the N7 inbound last week and may have been about 10ish over (mid afternoon so easy to do) in easy flowing traffic and didn't spot it till I was nearly on it (3 lanes of traffic and I was more watching the lane and cars behind and around me than a van on the side of the road).

Have to wait and see but I hope not. Already have a few and while they drop off later this year, it could be painful in the meantime

Thanks Kaiser-you might be lucky in that the guy was either just setting up or taking down the camera when you passed- the amount of time I’ve been convinced I was caught but never got a ticket- luck can be on your side-about how far from the van were you? I don’t know the exact setting they tend to use but isn’t the general agreement less than 100 metres from what I’ve seen in other threads? And possibly as low as 40 meters?

• Advertisement

Thanks Kaiser-you might be lucky in that the guy was either just setting up or taking down the camera when you passed- the amount of time I’ve been convinced I was caught but never got a ticket- luck can be on your side-about how far from the van were you? I don’t know the exact setting they tend to use but isn’t the general agreement less than 100 metres from what I’ve seen in other threads? And possibly as low as 40 meters?

I was in the outside lane overtaking cars who were doing about 90 and watching a Passat in the mirror who was a bit close. Nothing immediately in front of me but I'm always aware of someone randomly pulling in front of me anyway.

Ah if I get done I'll have to accept it, but it's galling that on a 3 lane free flowing effectively motorway that you need to be watching for a van more than the traffic around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

3 lane motorway , in traffic? I wouldn't think they could prove it was your car speeding....maybe someone was undertaking you.

I bet you hear no more. If you couldn't see him, could he see you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 griffin1999

Hi, I got stopped by a guards three weeks ago for speeding and she said I’d be receiving a fine. It still hasn’t come and I’m concerned I’ll have to go to court if it doesn’t come , is there any way of checking and if I do have the penalty points to pay the fine without the letter ?? do I have to pay the fine considering it’s 7 days late ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

Can a speed van detect your speed if you are driving away from the back of the van?

tanko wrote: »
    Can a speed van detect your speed if you are driving away from the back of the van?

Assuming there's not something like a motorway barrier in the way then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Does anyone know how issuing works with Rental cars?
    Do the speed van company contact the rental car company to get your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

atahuapla wrote: »

the Gards do the ticketing .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Same process as normal.. ticket is sent to the registered owner of the car, they nominate a driver.. the ticket is then resent to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭blackwhite

mikeecho wrote: »
    Same process as normal.. ticket is sent to the registered owner of the car, they nominate a driver.. the ticket is then resent to the driver.

You left out one key part.

The rental company charges your credit card an "admin fee" for the service provided ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

mikeecho wrote: »

Gotcha. Pretty sure I was done at the weekend; 92km in an 80km. No complaints, should have known better.
    The address on my licence is ancient though so not sure how they'll reach me.

Should I call the rental company to update my address now? I'd rather not have a summons out against me for unknowingly not paying the fine after the 58 days or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

The address on my licence is ancient though so not sure how they'll reach me.

Should I call the rental company to update my address now? I'd rather not have a summons out against me for unknowingly not paying the fine after the 58 days or whatever.

See here for how to update address of driving licence

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#to-apply-to-update-your-address

You should also notify hire company, but they may just pass on a copy of your licence and consider their part done

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frannkie95

Passed a normal Garda car pulled in at the side of the road with its lights on. Presumed it was only pulling in for a bit but slowed down regardless as I passed. The road is a 50km/h road but quite busy (Skehard Road in Cork).
    Just wondering if a car like this has any speed cameras? Didn't notice a speed gun and wasn't pulled over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

I have seen this happening lately.. Folk just assume they are busy with something else, and dont bother slowing down.

New speed guns are deadly accurate over a long distance and record video also. Be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Got pulled nearly four weeks ago and still haven't received FCN.

How can I pay the €80 within 28 days without receiving it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

LeineGlas wrote: »
    Got pulled nearly four weeks ago and still haven't received FCN.

How can I pay the €80 within 28 days without receiving it?

I would imagine day one is from whatever date is on the letter...whenever the guard does the paperwork rather than when you get pulled over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Passed a speed van at the side of the road heading out the other day and was thankful for the slow motorist in front of me. On the return journey home forgot all about the same van and got caught doing 59 in a 50 zone...ugh.

Offence was 02/07/20 and FCPN arrived less than a week later on 08/07/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Is it just me or are there loads more speed checks about in the last month or so? Before lockdown I spent about 3 hours a day commuting during the week and rarely saw them but have seen far more lately driving less than an hour each day.

Thought I was caught speeding twice in one week but going by the last post and other info in this thread it doesn’t look like it. First was a van on the m7 northbound and second was a gard standing beside his bike with the gun southbound on the m7. It’s been 3 weeks and no notice has been received for the first. The guard on the bike never stopped me so I assume it’s not going to happen now.

I know speedometers are off on purpose but pretty sure I was over even taking that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

whizbang wrote: »
    I have seen this happening lately.. Folk just assume they are busy with something else, and dont bother slowing down.

New speed guns are deadly accurate over a long distance and record video also. Be warned.

I wonder if these new speed guns can record videos, do they no longer have to pull you over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Can you get multiple points for different offences at the same time? Guards pulled a friend in today for use of phone. Friend told me that the guards said it was a fine of €120. But I have googled this on RSA and the fine is 3 points and €60 (rising to €120 after 20 days). But the guard didn't say anything about 28 days - just that it is a fine for €120. So it got me wondering, can you get 2 fines at the same time? There was no speeding or anything and nothing else was mentioned by the guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Got a speeding fine and penalty notice in the door. Clocked doing 61kph in a 50kph zone by a speed van coming into Galway. Thing is the last speed sign coming in states 60kph and there's nothing to say you are entering a 50kph limit area. Is there any precedent for appealing this with the traffic division or in court? I drive big distances for a living so any penalty points are a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

Passed a speed van in M3 today was overtaking a truck at 124 and seen the van and slowed down to to 120 just as I was coming up and past it.

I didn’t see a flash but do the vans still do that (flash the camera to get reg)? Sorry sounds a dumb question. a lot of speed vans on the M3 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Can you get multiple points for different offences at the same time? Guards pulled a friend in today for use of phone. Friend told me that the guards said it was a fine of €120. But I have googled this on RSA and the fine is 3 points and €60 (rising to €120 after 20 days). But the guard didn't say anything about 28 days - just that it is a fine for €120. So it got me wondering, can you get 2 fines at the same time? There was no speeding or anything and nothing else was mentioned by the guard.

You can receive a fine for multiple offences at the same time (like on mobile & no seatbelt, etc) but you only receive the points for offence with carries the most penalty points
    portcrap wrote: »
    Got a speeding fine and penalty notice in the door. Clocked doing 61kph in a 50kph zone by a speed van coming into Galway. Thing is the last speed sign coming in states 60kph and there's nothing to say you are entering a 50kph limit area. Is there any precedent for appealing this with the traffic division or in court? I drive big distances for a living so any penalty points are a big risk.

If there is no signage you may be best to go back and take photos to prove same. Then if it is the case that there was no way for you to know it was a 50 some it is your perogative if you wish to contest it in court. You may also.appeal.the ticket but each case is dealt with on its own merits.
    tom23 wrote: »
    Passed a speed van in M3 today was overtaking a truck at 124 and seen the van and slowed down to to 120 just as I was coming up and past it.

I didn’t see a flash but do the vans still do that (flash the camera to get reg)? Sorry sounds a dumb question. a lot of speed vans on the M3 these days.

The vans don't flash and I don't think they ever have, at least none of the gosafe one's ever have that I know of.
    If you were doing an indicated 124 then you were likely travelling under 120 due to speedos over reading and likely have nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ask in legal discussions but I think there is a rule whereby a 50KPH limit is assumed unless otherwise signed. The issue being exactly the one you're having, the last sign was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

A few weeks ago I think i saw a gosafe speedvan on the northbound side of the M50 near airport exit (i was heading south). Was that my imagination or was I seeing things? Is that unusual as I have never in my life seen a go safe van on the m50 anywhere or speed checks on the m50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Got caught today, just wondering is the new system of tiered fines in place or is still just a flat 80e? Garda never mentioned he was fining me but he did ask was my address current so I assume it’s in the post

Advertisement