Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

BLUEYK wrote: »
    For those wondering on codes, which site, etc, the link to the Irish rewards store on page 2 I found best to use. The rewards store auto gives 10% off and then when you spec your machine and put it in your basket apply the emag sign up 10% discount code. No need to worry about unidays, UK site or PM that way. I was confused with this myself yesterday and other posters helped me out.

Yes, it appears that the UK could stack all 3 at one point but that is closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, would anyone be able to recommend a setup for an older relative of mine? From the post above, it seems it's just as good a deal to buy from the Irish site and you don't need to mess around signing up to different 10% offers as you do if buying from UK site?

Would be after something simple enough, 15" screen, backlit keyboard, SSD, built in webcam, a nice battery and fingerprint scanner would all be great.

RAM, graphics, processor etc aren't such a big deal as it's really only going to be used for very basic stuff.

Any pointers or links would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks like the metal palmrest option has disappeared again.

The 14 inch version of this which will be launched soon has the option of a full aluminium case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sorry, without reading the full these, can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to load Windows 10 onto the dos system this comes with please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sorry, without reading the full these, can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to load Windows 10 onto the dos system this comes with please?

Easy enough, plenty of guides on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Simple. Downloaded a file, put a 16gb usb drive in to your pc, load file on to usb drive, put drive in to laptop, boot, run program.

With the SSD in the laptop it will take less than 10 minutes to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Hi

Does anyone please have a link to where exactly I can start putting together a laptop?

I have had a look at the Lenovo.ie and it’s a bit confusing. Are you choosing for example, an Ideapad and customising it?
    Or is there a new section for 4000 amd processor type laptops?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just tried that, it was 60 euro more expensive than here plus parcel motel and the code still didn't work. They must've plugged the double discount.

The unidays thing is a little bit long winded but it worked for me eventually. My sister gave me her login details for the unidays website and I clicked on the Lenovo link there. The link took me on to a website called Student Beans and then to the Lenovo UK education store. The base price of the laptop here was £365\€415 (it was €458 on the Irish rewards site). I added on my extras which brought the price up to £418 and then applied my 10% voucher for the mailing list to bring the price down to £376\€432.
    For those wondering on codes, which site, etc, the link to the Irish rewards store on page 2 I found best to use. The rewards store auto gives 10% off and then when you spec your machine and put it in your basket apply the emag sign up 10% discount code. No need to worry about unidays, UK site or PM that way. I was confused with this myself yesterday and other posters helped me out.

If you can get access to a Unidays account easily enough it's definitely worth considering going through the UK site. Third level students in Ireland can access the site. I'm long out of college but was able to use my sister's account. The Irish rewards site for me was coming in at €462 for what I wanted. Going through the UK site I got it for €432.

The unidays thing is a little bit long winded but it worked for me eventually. My sister gave me her login details for the unidays website and I clicked on the Lenovo link there. The link took me on to a website called Student Beans and then to the Lenovo UK education store. The base price of the laptop here was £365\€415 (it was €458 on the Irish rewards site). I added on my extras which brought the price up to £418 and then applied my 10% voucher for the mailing list to bring the price down to £376\€432.

If you can get access to a Unidays account easily enough it's definitely worth considering going through the UK site. Third level students in Ireland can access the site. I'm long out of college but was able to use my sister's account. The Irish rewards site for me was coming in at €462 for what I wanted. Going through the UK site I got it for €432.

The Unidays offer is only cheaper if you choose the Ryzen 4300 .
    For any other cpu the Irish rewards site is the same price or cheaper.

Lenovo have confirmed that the 16GB model is dual channel. All lower RAM capacities are single channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Pixied wrote: »
    Does anyone please have a link to where exactly I can start putting together a laptop?
    On the irish lenovo site you can start here :
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/ierewards/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

DeepBlue wrote: »

Thanks a mill. It’s asks for a passcode. Where do I get this from? Is that the uni days one from the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks a mill. It’s asks for a passcode. Where do I get this from? Is that the uni days one from the uk?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113245366&postcount=16

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's EXCLUSIVEWRKIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Picking the 4500 processor or higher, best savings I found were Irish rewards site auto 10% off, spec your laptop removing the WIN10 OS saving e100, sign up to newsletter and apply that 10% code at checkout. So say a e700 list price laptop, -70, -100, -53. You pay 477 which is over 30% saving. Minimum hassle also doing it this way. If anyone found a better way ease share so I don't misguide other posters, thanks.

Also, if you have issues using the code into the Irish rewards site from page 2, it wouldn't work from my tablet but worked no problem from my laptop.

cormie wrote: »
    Folks, would anyone be able to recommend a setup for an older relative of mine? From the post above, it seems it's just as good a deal to buy from the Irish site and you don't need to mess around signing up to different 10% offers as you do if buying from UK site?

Would be after something simple enough, 15" screen, backlit keyboard, SSD, built in webcam, a nice battery and fingerprint scanner would all be great.

RAM, graphics, processor etc aren't such a big deal as it's really only going to be used for very basic stuff.

Any pointers or links would be great :)

budget region?

the min spec of these processors would certainly do, 8gb ram would be plenty for futureproofing in that use case too, so if the budget was in or around 4/500 youd def find a configuration to suit imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

After sleeping on it I pulled the trigger. The option to drop the OS, a good processor, the IPS panel and the dual channel ram sold me in the end.

Can anyone confirm if it has the proper number pad? That would be an extra bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

bfa1509 wrote: »
    After sleeping on it I pulled the trigger. The option to drop the OS, a good processor, the IPS panel and the dual channel ram sold me in the end.

Can anyone confirm if it has the proper number pad? That would be an extra bonus.

Looks like it in the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

budget region?

the min spec of these processors would certainly do, 8gb ram would be plenty for futureproofing in that use case too, so if the budget was in or around 4/500 youd def find a configuration to suit imo

Cool, have seen some configs that would suit, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I chose the bog standard screen. Should I have regrets? Won't be doing much movie watching etc just the odd YouTube video and a bit of photoshopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I just tried the Irish site there now & the code EXCLUSIVEWRKIT! didn't work ?

• Advertisement

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I just tried the Irish site there now & the code EXCLUSIVEWRKIT! didn't work ?

Just worked for me. Make sure you're including the exclamation mark! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Is there value in selecting the 512ssd drive? Or is 256 enough? ( Not planning on adding a separate HDD)

I chose the bog standard screen. Should I have regrets? Won't be doing much movie watching etc just the odd YouTube video and a bit of photoshopping.

The standard screen is a TN panel and its garbage.
    Go for the IPS screen ,its well worth the few extra euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Zardoz wrote: »
    The standard screen is a TN panel and its garbage.
    Go for the IPS screen ,its well worth the few extra euro.

Feck. Thanks for the tip. Re-placed a new order now.

Anyone know the easiest way to cancel the old order? The email contact form is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

If you are flogging it off on adverts to make a few quid then might as well. Just like you did with the Pixel deal from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Which processor did you order? 4500 only has IPS as an option.

Upgrade the TN for IPS is advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Anyone know the easiest way to cancel the old order? The email contact form is broken.

I tried cancelling a laptop I ordered last July, I tried to cancel over the phone and re-order a different spec, but couldn't so I was told to order the second laptop then when the one I was returning arrived I had to ring them for a return label, and they arranged for a courier to collect it.

get them on the phone.

i.e. Monday morning.

Which processor did you order? 4500 and above screens are all IPS.

Thats not true. I got the 4800u and my setup has the TN screen:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System - Free-DOS
    Operating System Language - Free-DOS
    Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    First Hard Drive - 1TB Hard Drive, 5400RPM, 2.5", 7mm
    Second Hard Drive - 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 250nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Keyboard - Keyboard Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment - Anodizing
    Palmrest - PC/ABS
    Battery - 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 45Wh
    Power Cord - 65W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK
    Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack - Publication-English
    Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Cheers OP bought one :D

This discussion has been closed.