Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Joe Hannigan having his Election launch for the North Tipp/Offaly area in the Pavilion , Ballinderry sportsfield , this Tuesday @ 8 p.m . He hopes to outline the campaign plan, structures and strategies and is inviting supporters , canvassers etc to go to it .

Just to clarify, Joe is Chairman of the Tipperary Football Board and is standing in the Offaly constituency as many of his Tipperary supporters have been moved into Offaly in the redrawing of the constituencies.

As a supporter of Tipperary Football I wish him the best of luck.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Xenophile wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Joe is Chairman of the Tipperary Football Board and is standing in the Offaly constituency as many of his Tipperary supporters have been moved into Offaly in the redrawing of the constituencies.

He is standing in the Offaly constituency because he now lives in the Offaly constituency and he has no choice!

Having done the maths I'm afraid he hasn't a hope and will be crippled by both the protest from North Tipp folk and the lack of any transfers from other candidates, I wish him all the best though and have known Joe for many a year and I would certainly trust him more than most of our sitting TD's.

Is this the guy who thinks Tipp will win a football all Ireland by 2020?

Yeah that's him, the brain and the mouth aren't always connected with Joe but a decent guy and has done some great work for both Tipp Football and as a councillor in North Tipp.

danganabu wrote: »
    He is standing in the Offaly constituency because he now lives in the Offaly constituency and he has no choice!

Having done the maths I'm afraid he hasn't a hope and will be crippled by both the protest from North Tipp folk and the lack of any transfers from other candidates, I wish him all the best though and have known Joe for many a year and I would certainly trust him more than most of our sitting TD's.
    Yeah that's him, the brain and the mouth aren't always connected with Joe but a decent guy and has done some great work for both Tipp Football and as a councillor in North Tipp.

If you know this guy that well, why don't you tell him that he has no chance of being elected. Would you go as far as saying that there is a good chance that he will be very much out of pocket after the election ? Do you think that he will loose his deposit?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

He won`t lose his deposit , Puckane , Ballinderry , Terryglass , Lorrha and Borrisokane will vote for him . Joe`s very cute , If he can get people from the Carrick Riverstown GAA Club ( Tipp Club , plays in Offaly ) behind him , with their conections in Offaly GAA he could get a decent vote , can`t see him being elected though !

• Advertisement

He won`t lose his deposit , Puckane , Ballinderry , Terryglass , Lorrha and Borrisokane will vote for him . Joe`s very cute , If he can get people from the Carrick Riverstown GAA Club ( Tipp Club , plays in Offaly ) behind him , with their conections in Offaly GAA he could get a decent vote , can`t see him being elected though !

Glad to hear he will not lose his deposit. I have met him a few times and as you say he is a decent guy.

If you know this guy that well, why don't you tell him that he has no chance of being elected. Would you go as far as saying that there is a good chance that he will be very much out of pocket after the election ? Do you think that he will loose his deposit?

I know him very well and will be canvassing on his behalf, the sums simply don't add up though the entire electorate for the part of North Tipp isn't enough to reach the quota, that's as I said before not allowing for those who will refuse to vote in Offaly, those who blindly vote for the same party every time and of course does who just don't bother on the day.

I do think it is very important though to have a candidate to represent the parts of North Tipp that were treated so shabbily and Joe is the right man for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

for those who will refuse to vote in Offaly, those who blindly vote for the same party every time and of course does who just don't bother on the day.

I really can't understand why people have such a problem with being put in a new constituency, all the parties and a few 'independents' are in offaly as well.
    Maybe it's due to my youth and hating parish pump politics but for me I'll always vote the party before the man/woman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Apart from Alan Kelly how many TD's from the North of the Constituency came to Clonmel to view the flood situation there !

I don't think anyone took that little 20 second Six-One appearance seriously. I know no one who actually met or saw him on this ministerial visit. It seems to have been very much a flying visit from on high. At least he didn't fall out of a boat which is a positive as things go for Labour candidates these days.

FG: Marie Murphy was apparently out and about around Clogheen where she lives. I heard nothing about Tom Hayes or Noel Coonan. Tom Hayes who is usually quick to post what he is doing on facebook and twitter hasn't posted anything since early December. Noel Coonan hasn't posted anything since October. I think we now know where we stand in their eyes.

FF: Jackie Cahill who is usually quick to post everything he is doing on facebook seemed to be maily pre-occupied with attending some Blacktie events during the floods. Other than that he jumped on the "Wheresenda" bandwagon. But for a man who like Tom Hayes is quick to post everything he is doing I think we can take it he did nothing. I hear Siobhan Ambrose was around Clonmel but she has no social media presence (which is odd for one of the youngest candidates in the field). No sign of Michael Smith Jr but that's fairly standard at this point from a lad who think's he should inherit the seat by divine right. Other than that I notice Jackie Cahill election billboards have started appearing around South Tipp.

As to the other candidates. Mattie McGrath seemed to be a whirlwind popping up everywhere and actually doing some work. He was even filling sand bags etc. Everytime I looked at facebook or twitter he seemed to be posting status updates from the council etc and appealing for people to go here or there to help. I don't have a lot of time for his politics on a national level but I have to say he did trojan work over the last couple of weeks locally.

Seamus Healy was also very active on facebook but I don't know for sure if he was actually involved in stuff on the ground. And many of his posts seemed to be copied from Mattie's page. I understand his WULAG members were but heard nothing of the man himself. BUT given his members were out and about and his social media accounts were so active on it I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was probably active on the ground.

Michael Lowry wasn't seen on the ground and the whole crisis barely registered on his social media.

Seamus Morris and Michael Dillon are MIA.

I really can't understand why people have such a problem with being put in a new constituency, all the parties are in offaly as well.
    Maybe it's due to my youth and hating parish pump politics but for me I'll always vote the party before the man/woman

Seriously?? The people of North West Tipp literally have no voice, no representative in the Dail and never will, its an absolute shambles and a disaster for those, including myself resident there. Why would an elected minister for the Offaly constituency give a toss about us, a TD elected in Tullamore will have access to a certain amount of funds to be allocated for his constituency do you really think he will allocate any of that to have services in Puckane, Kilbarron or Lorrha provided or do you think he will spend that money in his own heartland where his supporters and voters reside? It stinks to the high heavens but that is the reality about how politics works in this country and to be honest I would imagine its the same in most countries.

Regarding party politics I would have the exact opposite opinion to be honest and can't for the life of me understand how anyone can blindly vote for a party even though the local candidate might be a complete buffoon or worse still a crook, its a practice I believe is slowly being phased out in Ireland and quite rightly IMO.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Michael Dillon are MIA.

To be fair and I know this gets said flippantly at times but that chap seriously would not find Clonmel on a map and that is 100% fact.

Dillon has set up a Facebook Page , Vote Mickey Dillon Independent and his Slogan is : Man on the dole to too the pole ( sic ) :rolleyes: !

Regarding party politics I would have the exact opposite opinion to be honest and can't for the life of me understand how anyone can blindly vote for a party even though the local candidate might be a complete buffoon or worse still a crook, its a practice I believe is slowly being phased out in Ireland and quite rightly IMO.

it's called the party whip, he/she is just filling the seat. I vote based on the parties policy and record

using your logic as why not to vote for an offaly candidate no one should vote for anyone outside their area, I'm sorry but that parochialism just reinforces corruption by letting politicians away with distorting the allocation of resources ect.

I actually like the idea of a list system as it would get ride of parish pump and stroke politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

With all due respect, I give my vote to the people I hope have the expertise and vision, not because they support the local football team.

With all due respect, I give my vote to the people I hope have the expertise and vision, not because they support the local football team.

Thanks for the respect!

Just one or two facts for you to consider, Tipperary is not a local football team, it is a county team that represents Ballyporeen to Borrisokane and beyond.

In the 2014 Local Elections Joe Hannigan topped the poll in the Nenagh electoral area and was elected on the first count with 2028 votes, that represents 11% of the votes cast.

I also believe he is involved in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Thanks for the respect!

Just one or two facts for you to consider, Tipperary is not a local football team, it is a county team that represents Ballyporeen to Borrisokane and beyond.

In the 2014 Local Elections Joe Hannigan topped the poll in the Nenagh electoral area and was elected on the first count with 2028 votes, that represents 11% of the votes cast.

I also believe he is involved in business!

My comment about "a local football team" was tongue in cheek but my point is clear. I wouldn't vote for someone because they can hurl or kick a ball, I would hope they would have some expertise and vision.

IMO I wouldn't consider a Councillor of less than 12 months or a publican having the experience to be a TD.

Mind you we have all sorts sitting in Leinster House, feathering their nest, I have no idea if he would be any better or worse, he just wouldn't be my first choice.

Elect Gombeens..Get Gombeens...Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elect Gombeens..Get Gombeens...Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but HE FIXED THE ROAD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

but HE FIXED THE ROAD

And don't forget he went to your grandmother's funeral.

but HE FIXED THE ROAD
    touts wrote: »
    And don't forget he went to your grandmother's funeral.

No more ridiculous than voting for someone simply because they are in FF/FG and shur didn't we always vote for them and me father before me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/easter-rising/the-great-1916-sweepstakes-34318472.html
    great read on how politics and business mixed in the early state.

No more ridiculous than voting for someone simply because they are in FF/FG and shur didn't we always vote for them and me father before me :rolleyes:

that depends are you voting for the same party your parents voted for because your parents voted for them, or have you looked at the parties history and manifesto and then made a decision based on who you want running the country.

I know for a fact my parents don't vote for sinn féin who I vote and campaign for, I did get the mother to give us a vote in the locals and the euros and help sway her towards a yes vote in the marriage ref (the vote no posters attacking single parent families also helped) :)

that depends are you voting for the same party your parents voted for because your parents voted for them, or have you looked at the parties history and manifesto and then made a decision based on who you want running the country.

I know for a fact my parents don't vote for sinn féin who I vote and campaign for, I did get the mother to give us a vote in the locals and the euros and help sway her towards a yes vote in the marriage ref (the vote no posters attacking single parent families also helped) :)

I would absolutely take into account a parties record and manifesto but it would never for me be the deciding factor, the individual in question is the one who will be representing my constituency and de facto me, so if they are incompetent or corrupt I really don't care what party they represent.

Take for example the number of politicians, quite a number in Tipp alone, who have either left a party, changed a party or were expelled from a party, does their ability as a politician or perspective TD suddenly change, they are still the same person with the same capabilities or lack thereof to me.

As a coincidence I generally would vote for Sinn Fein myself, candidate dependant of course.

I would absolutely take into account a parties record and manifesto but it would never for me be the deciding factor, the individual in question is the one who will be representing my constituency and de facto me, so if they are incompetent or corrupt I really don't care what party they represent.

Take for example the number of politicians, quite a number in Tipp alone, who have either left a party, changed a party or were expelled from a party, does their ability as a politician or perspective TD suddenly change, they are still the same person with the same capabilities or lack thereof to me.

As a coincidence I generally would vote for Sinn Fein myself, candidate dependant of course.

if they are corrupt chances are the party they are in is also corrupt

I agree they are the same person, but in a party they are at least subject to a whip which enforces the party line
    that most independents are ex party simply means they got caught being crooked (like a certain north tipp independent) or there ego got to big, or they see the chance to leave a sinking ship (all the labour defectors)

glad to here you generally vote our way, I might see you on the door step and convince you to vote for Seamie Morris at some point :D

glad to here you generally vote our way, I might see you on the door step and convince you to vote for Seamie Morris at some point :D

I have voted for Seamie before, would know him fairly well, his brother Martin better.

Unfortunately I am one of the forgotten people who have been cast aside into Offaly so anytime on my doorstep would be wasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-constituencies?ev_oc_grp_ids=2250577

Tipperary
    Michael Lowry (Ind) 1/50
    Tom Hayes (Fine Gael) 1/7
    Seamus Healy (WUAG) 1/3
    Alan Kelly (Labour) 4/9
    Michael Smith (Fianna Fail) 4/7
    Mattie McGrath (Ind) 8/13
    Noel Coonan (Fine Gael) 13/8
    Jackie Cahill (Fianna Fail) 13/8
    Seamus Morris (Sinn Fein) 5/2
    Siobhan Ambrose (Fianna Fail) 9/1
    Marie Murphy (Fine Gael) 18/1
    Gearoid Fitzgibbon (Green Party) 80/1
    Caroline Hofman (Ind) 100/1
    Michael Dillon (Ind) 100/1

jem wrote: »
    Michael Dillon (Ind) 100/1

You won't say this about a 100/1 shot too often but that is without doubt the worst value bet I have ever seen!!

You won't say this about a 100/1 shot too often but that is without doubt the worst value bet I have ever seen!!

I think the bookmaker is just being generous to the candidate !

Michael Lowry (Ind) 1/50
    Tom Hayes (Fine Gael) 1/7
    Seamus Healy (WUAG) 1/3
    Alan Kelly (Labour) 4/9
    Michael Smith (Fianna Fail) 4/7
    Mattie McGrath (Ind) 8/13
    Noel Coonan (Fine Gael) 13/8
    Jackie Cahill (Fianna Fail) 13/8
    Seamus Morris (Sinn Fein) 5/2
    Siobhan Ambrose (Fianna Fail) 9/1
    Marie Murphy (Fine Gael) 18/1
    Gearoid Fitzgibbon (Green Party) 80/1
    Caroline Hofman (Ind) 100/1
    Michael Dillon (Ind) 100/1[/QUOTE]

So Mattie is knocking on the door for the fifth seat. My own opinion is that if he was standing for Sinn Fein he would be elected.

• Advertisement

This is what Dillon put up on his Election Facebook Page " 100/1 in the bookies people money to be made there " :D:D:D .

Advertisement