Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

8c off Circle K milesplus

• 22-02-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭

Circle K Ballincollig (Eastgate) currently doing a promo, where if you buy milesplus, they'll give you a voucher for 8c off your next purchase of milesplus.

Not sure if any other sites are doing it.

(Awaiting.. milesplus is a rip off, circle k is the most expensive, that fuel is a scam etc type comments)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is there a minimum/maximum purchase?

Can you buy 1L of milesplus, get the voucher then buy 50L straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mikeecho wrote:
    (Awaiting.. milesplus is a rip off, circle k is the most expensive, that fuel is a scam etc type comments)

It is what it is. Older members will remember when we had these fuels before. There wasn't a filling station in Ireland and the UK that had a choice of fuels. "Which Magazine" (a consumers affairs magazine) proved that the claims were false. They weren't cleaner and despite the fact that people actually thought they got more miles per gallon it was proven that they didn't. The report proved that unless you drove an extremely high end car the fuel had no effect. Even on high end cars the fuel cost more than you saved. The fuel suppliers didn't even put up a fight. No counter argument. Within weeks filling stations removed their "higher quality" fuel from stations and for 10 or 15 years they only provided one type of each fuel. As younger drivers came onto the road and at a time when we had more money than sense these miracle fuels crept back onto the market.

It's a choice. I posted the above just to explain to younger members why older members laugh and make fun at these super clean fuels. Snake oil is how the consumer magazine describes these fuels. That's not to say that this isn't a bargain. Getting 8c off snake oil is still better than paying full price for the snake oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Can't say what the circle k stuff contains but Topaz was 2EHN which is routinely added to train and boat diesel can have a big impact on particulate matter and slight increase in efficiency. If vehicle has particulate filter it would mask the effect on combustion.

That being said you can buy 25l drums of 2ehn for peanuts so the additional price is not justified.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got one of those vouchers at Circle K Douglas recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Fools and their money....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strange, nothing on the Circle K website about this offer or in my local station in D3... is it only in Cork?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It is what it is. Older members will remember when we had these fuels before. There wasn't a filling station in Ireland and the UK that had a choice of fuels. "Which Magazine" (a consumers affairs magazine) proved that the claims were false. They weren't cleaner and despite the fact that people actually thought they got more miles per gallon it was proven that they didn't. The report proved that unless you drove an extremely high end car the fuel had no effect. Even on high end cars the fuel cost more than you saved. The fuel suppliers didn't even put up a fight. No counter argument. Within weeks filling stations removed their "higher quality" fuel from stations and for 10 or 15 years they only provided one type of each fuel. As younger drivers came onto the road and at a time when we had more money than sense these miracle fuels crept back onto the market.

It's a choice. I posted the above just to explain to younger members why older members laugh and make fun at these super clean fuels. Snake oil is how the consumer magazine describes these fuels. That's not to say that this isn't a bargain. Getting 8c off snake oil is still better than paying full price for the snake oil :)

I remember when Shell were selling “Pura” on the basis it was more environmentally friendly. People weren’t prepared to pay more for that, so they renamed it “V Power”

The only way (same as Circle K and the others) it can work is by adding power or fuel economy that has already been lost due to buildups in the injection system. If your car is working as it should, then there are no benefits available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You could probably just ask in store for a voucher.

I topped up ms echos car with 20L of plus, but when I asked in-store for the voucher, the guy said he had none left .

I was passing today (on foot) and asked for a voucher and I was given two.

The T&C's are..
    Valid 10/2/20 to 10/3/20
    One vouch per transaction
    Can't be used with a fuel card
    Milesplus fuel only
    No cash alternative
    Can't be used with any other offer.
    Can't be used at pay at pump.

As for the no fuel card, I've used a fuel card with other QR code discount vouchers and it's always accepted.

I'll chance the fuel card with the voucher.

Heres the QR code from the voucher.. it might work if you scan it from your phone.

Screenshot-20200224-203426.jpg

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Maybe so, but different fuel companies have different additives.
    Topaz used an additive from BASF, called "keropur" this additive is available from the likes of Mercedes and BMW as an additive.
    Circle K use an additive from Lubrizol.

I've been informed by circle k that the plus diesel has a higher cetane number (min 3 more)
    Higher cetane gives a better burn and easier cold start .
    There are also some scientific studies that show higher cetane values give better performance.
    I can link to them if you do wish.

Look it's a bargain alert thread.. you have the option of getting the more expensive fuel for the price of the regular fuel.

Edit.. link to study

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.iasj.net/iasj%3Ffunc%3Dfulltext%26aId%3D24812&ved=2ahUKEwil-df3iOvnAhWqQRUIHYMaChcQFjABegQICxAH&usg=AOvVaw243QfS-LH5sXBdzd0Q4XvF

Or just Google

"Effect of Fuel Cetane Number on Multi-Cylinders Direct Injection Diesel Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

You get 3 c off normal fuel on group schemes all the time ! Check if you are member of one

You get 3 c off normal fuel on group schemes all the time ! Check if you are member of one

I get 4¢ off with my fuel cards.
    The AA app also gives 4¢ off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Darc19 wrote: »
    Fools and their money....

Have you tried the various Circle K fuels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

nc6000 wrote: »
    Have you tried the various Circle K fuels?

The circle K plus diesel or miles plus whatever it’s called is a waste of money. I used it 2-3 weeks ago and my total range on my golf was less than it had ever been from filling the tank with normal diesel. At first I thought, oh well maybe it won’t go down as quick. Wrong.

Went down as quick if not quicker. Useless in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there anything to be said for filling the tank with this in the run up to an NCT to reduce emissions or would dipetane etc work out cheaper?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The QR image I posted didn't work, I needed to scan the actual coupon.

I paid with my circle k fuel card, so I got an additional 4c off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If you had 3 wishes you'd wish for three more wouldn't you .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Will this work in Limerick miles plus diesel?

Advertisement