Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

My 9 month long saga continues with now the latest update being that instead of being able to progress this week as I was told we would, there will now be another 28 day wait until the certificate we need to proceed can issue.

DCC have been on looking for an update, and now my fear is that I may need to reapply all over again and in the process, lose the old interest rates and not be able to borrow as much as I have agreed to pay for the place. Hopefully it won't come to that but it is a stress I don't need.

My solicitor continues to be next to useless.

Maybe I'll finally get keys sometime in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Benci

Need some advice. Our loan offer extension has been declined with RIHL, second applicant on subsidy. Contact has been signed and paid 10 percent deposit.
    There is any way to appeal the decision?
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mirabella1

Hello. How much guys you have to earn as a couple if you ask at least for 240.000?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Len_007

Len_007 wrote: »
    I delivered my own forms in to my local council (DLR) a week ago today.

After handing in the application forms way back in April 2019, we closed on the house and received the keys today.
    Both myself and my wife are delighted.
    With a single income, getting a mortgage on the high street for somewhere near my place of work is impossible. So I'm very grateful for the RIHL initiative.

I encourage anyone engaged in the process to not give up, it may be a long road, but you'll get there in the end!

Take that 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

Len_007 wrote: »
    After handing in the application forms way back in April 2019, we closed on the house and received the keys today.
    Both myself and my wife are delighted.
    With a single income, getting a mortgage on the high street for somewhere near my place of work is impossible. So I'm very grateful for the RIHL initiative.

I encourage anyone engaged in the process to not give up, it may be a long road, but you'll get there in the end!

Take that 2020!

Fantastic news, we're not far behind.
    Looking like Monday/Tuesday at this stage to close and get keys.

It was a long road starting in October last year when we signed building and loan contracts.

Extensions held up just fine with original loan rates which was a concern whole way through.

We're in exact sane situation and getting a loan from the bank wouldn't be near enough to have the same options, likewise we're also grateful to have RIHL.

It is a long road but gets you there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a medical issue and have been refused MPI.
    Where does that leave things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a medical issue and have been refused MPI.
    Where does that leave things?

You don’t have to go with the mpi through the council. You can source your own (but only if you have been refused through rihl). Sourcing your own is cheaper too. Royal London, Irish life etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Maz2016 wrote: »
    You don’t have to go with the mpi through the council. You can source your own (but only if you have been refused through rihl). Sourcing your own is cheaper too. Royal London, Irish life etc

A scan of this thread will throw up people who have failed to get the council mpi who didn't get the loan.
    It's part of the scheme that you have to be on the group scheme otherwise they can not advance the loan.

I would be careful in suggesting otherwise

BKWDR wrote: »
    A scan of this thread will throw up people who have failed to get the council mpi who didn't get the loan.
    It's part of the scheme that you have to be on the group scheme otherwise they can not advance the loan.

No not necessarily. Further back on the thread people got exempt from it so I looked into it. Firstly I spoke on the chat feature on their website - see attached. They gave me a phone number for the housing dept in my local co co. I rang them. If/when I will be turned down for their mpi she said I could source my own but they need to approve it. Royal London were happy to proceed but I had an issue with my savings last December (paid off a loan and saved little) so my savings were not consistent for 12 months so I’m waiting until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Not true - It is possible to get the mortgage protection insurance separately. I was turned down by the council - didn’t come as a shock to be fair . I went to Zed insurance. Mine is €28.88 per month. I was dealing with a lovely lady Helena. I sent her what rebuilding Ireland wanted. She asked me a load of questions and contacted my GP. About a month later I was offered cover. I sent this to the county council and they were happy with it. All in all it delayed everything by around 2 months though so yes, it is possible and don’t loose the faith

• Advertisement

I had not had an unplanned admission to hospital for 2 years but that doesn’t seem good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Gael23 wrote: »
    I had not had an unplanned admission to hospital for 2 years but that doesn’t seem good enough
    What stage are you at? Did you get refused from council and the 6 insurance companies that offer it?

dave98 wrote: »
    What stage are you at? Did you get refused from council and the 6 insurance companies that offer it?

No haven’t applied yet but I’ve been refused by high street insurers going through ordinary banks

Give Nick McGowan in lion.ie a shout. He specializes in this sort of thing. Also join a Facebook group called First Time Buyers Ireland. Amazing help on those. Not sure if I am allowed post those....Also, could the banks not exempt you from mpi, you will see lots of people have on that facebook group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Maz2016 wrote: »
    No not necessarily. Further back on the thread people got exempt from it so I looked into it. Firstly I spoke on the chat feature on their website - see attached. They gave me a phone number for the housing dept in my local co co. I rang them. If/when I will be turned down for their mpi she said I could source my own but they need to approve it. Royal London were happy to proceed but I had an issue with my savings last December (paid off a loan and saved little) so my savings were not consistent for 12 months so I’m waiting until January.

Yeah the council need to approve it though. I would be careful in that context.
    Either here or on the mortgage forum someone said they gave their cover to council and it wasn't accepted because it wasn't equivalent to the cover that they offer
    Doesnt it say in the credit policy? I can't find the link for it here

Is it works it works. But I would be careful about thinking its as straight forward as that and I would take the rihl chat person with a pinch of salt tbh

Yeah the council need to approve it though. I would be careful in that context.
    Either here or on the mortgage forum someone said they gave their cover to council and it wasn't accepted because it wasn't equivalent to the cover that they offer
    Doesnt it say in the credit policy? I can't find the link for it here

Is it works it works. But I would be careful about thinking its as straight forward as that and I would take the rihl chat person with a pinch of salt tbh

Oh its definitely not straightforward but all I am saying is it is possible.

Is a larger deposit required under this scheme for 1 bed apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 unclejoe89

Hi,

I currently have a rebuild Ireland Home Loan for the past 2 years.

I would now like to Rent the house out and move to a different house.
    Is there a requirement that I have to live in the house?

Will the council allow me to rent the house out?

Thanks

beanyb wrote: »
    My 9 month long saga continues with now the latest update being that instead of being able to progress this week as I was told we would, there will now be another 28 day wait until the certificate we need to proceed can issue.

DCC have been on looking for an update, and now my fear is that I may need to reapply all over again and in the process, lose the old interest rates and not be able to borrow as much as I have agreed to pay for the place. Hopefully it won't come to that but it is a stress I don't need.

My solicitor continues to be next to useless.

Maybe I'll finally get keys sometime in 2025.

Contracts and loan pack are finally signed on on the way back to DCC. We can't close until the 28 days elapses for this certificate, but we should be good to go in mid-January. Hopefully no more drama from this point on. Old interest rates have held for me thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cazzums

Hello has anyone taken a payment break with rebuild Ireland? I’m long for information on taking one for maternity leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Dankarl

Hi Guys,

We will be leaving this forum after completing the process with Cork County Council. If anyone has any questions, please mail me and I can try to help you.

DK

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TaDa

beanyb wrote: »
    Contracts and loan pack are finally signed on on the way back to DCC. We can't close until the 28 days elapses for this certificate, but we should be good to go in mid-January. Hopefully no more drama from this point on. Old interest rates have held for me thank god.

I am at the stage of Loan offer. Having received this is it a case of completing and sending back relevant info to solicitor/council.

Just wondering what happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Hi everyone. Ive just received mortgage approval from Kildare council. Could you help me with details on mortgage solicitor you have used

Thank you

TaDa wrote: »
    I am at the stage of Loan offer. Having received this is it a case of completing and sending back relevant info to solicitor/council.

Just wondering what happens next?

Have you found a property? I think it varies from council to council but the basic steps from my experience are this:

1) apply
    2) approval
    3) find property
    4) give details of property to council
    5) council issue loan pack to your solicitor
    6) sign loan pack and contracts (pay full deposit)
    7) solicitor sends back loan pack to council
    8) get house insurance
    9) council issue cheque to your solicitor
    10) funds transferred to seller
    11) get keys

There can be days, weeks or months between each step, depending on each individual case. For me step 5 happened in May, but we only got to step 6 this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

SDCC sent me back my app with a laundry list of stuff they want done differently. It's exactly the same app that was already approved by DCC and I've been told was "perfect" and will be approved by Fingal.

So, a word of warning. Looking through this makes them look like a bit of a nightmare and it makes me think they're looking for reasons not to accept applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Lauren52

Hi All, how long does it usually take for the council to issue the loan pack once sent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ABCD_1234

Hi,

Has done a self build with RIHL and if so how did you get on? I’m hoping to buy land and build as the house prices in my area have increased I’m no longer hopeful that I can afford a second hand home.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 janandbren

Does anyone think you will be able to avail of the RIHL and the new shared equity scheme announced together? One public sector salary and one part time salary with three children doesn't leave us much options in Cork atm!

janandbren wrote: »
    Does anyone think you will be able to avail of the RIHL and the new shared equity scheme announced together? One public sector salary and one part time salary with three children doesn't leave us much options in Cork atm!

The shared equity scheme will only increase house prices and cause more problems than it creates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

janandbren wrote: »

I'd be hoping you could combine Shared Equity, RI & HTB together. Not joking either the last 2 can be used together, hopefully the other one can too.

Advertisement