Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mgn wrote: »
    26c a day for Netflix, see what you get for that.

95% shíté and an ever dwindling database.

Probably on par with RTE but they spend 16 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,087 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mgn wrote: »
    26c a day for Netflix, see what you get for that.

I know and if you consider the amount of content on Amazon, Google Chromecast and other platforms as well it's a wonder RTE can exist at all.

If we don't get this Commission right it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

sure, but what moving with the times do you want them to engage in?

I wasn't ready for that question End of the Road, a very good question.

I think they need to stop adding to the player without first improving the coverage and quality of streaming. If. They could do that it's possible, not probable, that they could add some subscription content like add-free live programming, archive material.

I can only say what I like and a more youthful look to sports presentation, plus more live sports, would be nice but not to everyone's taste. I like RTE radio still and especially live sport but wonder why live sport and highlights on RTE TV seems flatter than on radio. it's cheap enough for them to show American TV repeats but there are surely some talented musicians/comedians/filmmakers in Ireland to showcase on RTE. But I'm probably too old to answer that question well because I don't consider X-Factor, Dancing with the Stars, Celebrity Jungle as real TV, just vehicles for talentless people to show how talentless they actually are.

44c a day just to watch the telly? The massive bulk of that goes to RTE television. I watch plenty of channels and listen to radio plus podcasts more than I watch RTE TV.

Plus paying Vodafone for broadband and TV. At least I have a choice when I choose my TV and broadband provider. If I could decide where my licence fee goes YouTube and The GAA Hour would be getting a lot of it.

Didn't mean to be disparaging but under our current system you do just pay the licence to have a TV.

I expect that will change radically in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

elperello wrote: »
    Didn't mean to be disparaging but under our current system you do just pay the licence to have a TV.

I expect that will change radically in the coming years.

Not disparaging at all or taken as disparaging. Paying the licence isn't a problem, most of it subsidising a loss making TV station is. There are surely plenty of talented people in RTE and plenty of talented movie makers, plus viewers that have good ideas on a way forward.

For all their hype, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOW TV etc also has a high proportion of junk content. Just because they have a lot of subscriptions is no reason that RTE couldn't have some good forward thinking plans and improve their content. But not under the current regime.

• Advertisement

Not disparaging at all or taken as disparaging. Paying the licence isn't a problem, most of it subsidising a loss making TV station is. There are surely plenty of talented people in RTE and plenty of talented movie makers, plus viewers that have good ideas on a way forward.

For all their hype, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOW TV etc also has a high proportion of junk content. Just because they have a lot of subscriptions is no reason that RTE couldn't have some good forward thinking plans and improve their content. But not under the current regime.

OK, misunderstanding cleared up.

As I see it we have chance now with this Commission to secure a sustainable Public Broadcasting Service to serve us into the future.

All ideas should be on the table and the more submissions the better.

We can't rely on the services you mention and others to provide content that reflects and reports on our country.

We need to find a way to do it for ourselves.

We will have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

it's not rte's fault that their pay may not be what they actually deserve.

So who is at fault for these huge wage costs in RTE?

• They whinge about costs etc. and then they go all out on the coverage of the UK elections. Zero reason Dobbo and Sharon need to be over there and no reason to cover it throughout the night as nobody is staying up to watch it here. Give us an update in the morning like other outlets will for a fraction of the cost ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I wasn't ready for that question End of the Road, a very good question.

I think they need to stop adding to the player without first improving the coverage and quality of streaming. If. They could do that it's possible, not probable, that they could add some subscription content like add-free live programming, archive material.

I can only say what I like and a more youthful look to sports presentation, plus more live sports, would be nice but not to everyone's taste. I like RTE radio still and especially live sport but wonder why live sport and highlights on RTE TV seems flatter than on radio. it's cheap enough for them to show American TV repeats but there are surely some talented musicians/comedians/filmmakers in Ireland to showcase on RTE. But I'm probably too old to answer that question well because I don't consider X-Factor, Dancing with the Stars, Celebrity Jungle as real TV, just vehicles for talentless people to show how talentless they actually are.

that's a good answer in fairness and i agree with it all.
    i do think the "entertainment" fluff and imported stuff does need to go from rte if i'm honest as it can be got elsewhere and it's not very good tbh.
    i used to watch i'm a celebrity years ago but i did get board of it.

mfceiling wrote: »
    So who is at fault for these huge wage costs in RTE?

to clear up the matter i was referring to the staff in the independent sector.
    it's not rte's fault that the staff of the independent sector may not be paid what they actually deserve.
    the reasonable to high wage costs in rte depending on the individual are down to many factors i would think.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

They whinge about costs etc. and then they go all out on the coverage of the UK elections. Zero reason Dobbo and Sharon need to be over there and no reason to cover it throughout the night as nobody is staying up to watch it here. Give us an update in the morning like other outlets will for a fraction of the cost ffs.

giving an update in the morning like other outlets will at a fraction of the cost is not public service broadcasting, and there may very well be people staying up to watch it as it's not an average general election.
    rte are absolutely right to be giving serious coverage to this election, it's an election that will in all likely hood see serious changes to britain, brexit asside, should the result go as is being said, which is likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

giving an update in the morning like other outlets will at a fraction of the cost is not public service broadcasting, and there may very well be people staying up to watch it as it's not an average general election.
    rte are absolutely right to be giving serious coverage to this election, it's an election that will in all likely hood see serious changes to britain, brexit asside, should the result go as is being said, which is likely.

No reason for any travel at the same time, their crew in NI should host their Belfast programme, with their London Correspondent presenting in London, Dobo, Sharon and Miriam can present from Dublin.

This would be the same serious coverage your talking about at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

If people are going to criticise the UK election coverage they could at least watch it .

Sharon is not presenting any of it .

• SPDUB wrote: »
    If people are going to criticise the UK election coverage they could at least watch it .

She most certainly was earlier tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

She most certainly was earlier tonight.

I've had their election programme on since 1105pm ( it started at 11pm ) and haven't seen her .

You do know her normal job is to present the 9 O Clock news .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

RTDEE: “We’ve no monies...”

Produces and broadcasts five hour long live coverage of U.K. election count until 4am.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,805 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

minikin wrote: »
    RTDEE: “We’ve no monies...”

Produces and broadcasts five hour long live coverage of U.K. election count until 4am.

The mind boggles.

tbh, I have no issue with this tonight.

It has a massive impact on our country, so its good to cover it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    tbh, I have no issue with this tonight.

It has a massive impact on our country, so its good to cover it.

And it’s free to watch on BBC... for anyone interested (myself included)... no need or demand for RTÉ to spend a cent on redundant live coverage (that I would speculate has next to zero viewership) of same.

And it’s free to watch on BBC... for anyone interested (myself included)... no need or demand for RTÉ to spend a cent on redundant live coverage (that I would speculate has next to zero viewership) of same.

rte are likely covering it from an irish perspective so it's probably not actually redundant.

rte are likely covering it from an irish perspective so it's probably not actually redundant.

Who was dobo discussing the results with?
    What Irish perspective did this give?
    Who is interested in this perspective?
    What’s wrong with letting the news team cover the final result in a five or ten minute slot?

How is five hours of expensive live broadcast justified by an organisation that is financially and creatively bankrupt?

(presumably it’s for the tiny intersection of the <10% of viewers who rely on saorview with those interested in watching British political results at 4am)

The definition of redundant coverage.

SPDUB wrote: »

I wasn't criticizing the coverage I was saying they didn't need to travel, doesn't matter who from Dublin is presenting.

RTÉ have an office in Northern Ireland with at least 3 reporters, one Irish Language report, one regional report (from what I can tell) and Tommy Gorman their NI correspondent. All three could have presented the programme from Belfast.

The same goes for London Dimitri O'Donnell could have presented the show from London.

With interjections from Dublin.

But I suppose Dobo and Miriam have to earn their keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might as well be watching Tory TV as BBC - I had to turn off Marr gloating last night, couldn't stomach him at all.

• xl500 wrote: »
    Still could have interviewed from Dublin I see no benefit in having her in London

The cost of sending a couple of presenters to London for a night is less than what Joe Duffy will earn today from 1.45 to 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Might as well be watching Tory TV as BBC - I had to turn off Marr gloating last night, couldn't stomach him at all.

they know whose paying the bills :D

• There's plenty of deadwood in RTE television. Some of them seem happy not to move with the times, their jobs untouchable. I'm not talking about presenters on big money here. They made a smart move a couple of years ago to outsource their childrens TV content, someone made a good decision for once. In 2019 viewers have more and ever-increaing ways to watch television online. Last week Amazon broadcast a full weeks Premier League program and will do the same in 2 weeks. RTE television are not moving with the time. They upgraded the content on the player when the main problem with it is the coverage and buffering issues across the country. I hear you on the public service broadcasting but what public service TV would you class as essential broadcasting and how much of it could be done online and cheaper rather than in Montrose?

Im not sure i agree outsourcing childrens content was a good idea. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses here but I'm sure the den was cheap as chips to produce. Buy in a few foreign (mostly American) cartoons and done and its an irish program for irish kids. Now its a clone of Nickelodeon so you might as well put reruns of glenroe on for all the people watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The argument about costs and salaries is really interesting.

Surely they need to be slashed across the board at every level. But it needs to be proportionate though.
    Over 50k - 3% cut
    Over 60k - 5% cut
    Over 100k - 10% cut
    Over 125k - 15% cut
    Over 150k - 25% cut

Then they need some redundancy packages also to clear out also. They will have to be generous to entice people.

The point I'd make is RTE could take 10 years to restructure and close the gaping black money swallowing hole fully. It takes that long to introduce a new culture also.

Culture of entitlement is a massive problem in that place.

• The argument about costs and salaries is really interesting.

Surely they need to be slashed across the board at every level. But it needs to be proportionate though.
    Over 50k - 3% cut
    Over 60k - 5% cut
    Over 100k - 10% cut
    Over 125k - 15% cut
    Over 150k - 25% cut

Then they need some redundancy packages also to clear out also. They will have to be generous to entice people.

The point I'd make is RTE could take 10 years to restructure and close the gaping black money swallowing hole fully. It takes that long to introduce a new culture also.

Culture of entitlement is a massive problem in that place.

I wonder how much Aoengus Mcanally earns for producing liveline.

You'd wonder what his duties are. Making sure Joe isn't on mute? I reckon he's another middle manager on 100k plus for 5 hours work a week.

They made a smart move a couple of years ago to outsource their childrens TV content, someone made a good decision for once.

Did they? They had said they weren't cutting costs when outsorce Children's content. Did they? Just wondering how this was a good move?

The cost of sending a couple of presenters to London for a night is less than what Joe Duffy will earn today from 1.45 to 3pm.

It's a pity that they have presenters already in situ, and that those that they sent are Joe Duffy equivalents.

Who was dobo discussing the results with?
    What Irish perspective did this give?
    Who is interested in this perspective?
    What’s wrong with letting the news team cover the final result in a five or ten minute slot?

How is five hours of expensive live broadcast justified by an organisation that is financially and creatively bankrupt?

(presumably it’s for the tiny intersection of the <10% of viewers who rely on saorview with those interested in watching British political results at 4am)

The definition of redundant coverage.

actually it's the definition of non-redundant coverage and public service broadcasting.
    last night is a perfect example of what rte should be doing. current affairs broadcasting.

• Advertisement

actually it's the definition of non-redundant coverage and public service broadcasting.
    last night is a perfect example of what rte should be doing. current affairs broadcasting.

I agree, they could put an alternative news and current affairs programme on RTÉ2.

Advertisement