Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

• 08-06-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas how well Clearwire or Imagine wireless broadband work in Dungarvan? Looking to get an unlimited wireless service because the location I will use is not served by Casey's. Thanks for any info.

PWR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

PWR wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas how well Clearwire or Imagine wireless broadband work in Dungarvan? Looking to get an unlimited wireless service because the location I will use is not served by Casey's. Thanks for any info.

PWR

where in dungarvan are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

abbeyside

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

My father in law lives in Dungarvan and he uses Cablesurf - have used it myself and no complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

My father in law lives in Dungarvan and he uses Cablesurf - have used it myself and no complaints!

40 a month, and it is not available in the office I want to use it in town is the problem.

I'd have to agree with you about Cablesurf - the casey clan certainly have probably the best ISP service in the country! Tis a pity the rest of the country couldnt come up with something like that.

I hear Imagine are going to be down in dungarvan with their WiMax offering in the not too distant future - not sure if abbeyside will be covered, but I would say if they are, give them a go.

There's been mixed feelings expressed on boards about WiMax, but by and large any of the people that I have been speaking with including work colleagues have no problem with it at all. They all think its probably the best value for money out there at the moment - and when you bundle in their phone offering too, then it is very good value. But dont take my word for it - search callcosts.ie and see for yourself.

The days of eircon and their monopoly and poor service offerings and extremely high prices is well and truly over!

• Advertisement

40 a month, and it is not available in the office I want to use it in town is the problem.

As said below - check and see if WiMax will be available in your area in Abbeyside ... then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

He is living in the town...

He is living in the town...

I did ask him ... he said abbeyside - see third post down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Anyone have any ideas if UPC will be expanding into Dungarvan ?

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas if UPC will be expanding into Dungarvan ?

Not sure if they would - seeing as though cablevision supply an excellent service at a very good price down that way.

Are you out of their coverage area?

• Advertisement

I'm within range but I'm constantly losing my internet connection and when we ask Caseys about it they just say "We're working on it" - it's been about 6 months. It goes off for like 20 minutes every 3 hours almost - not a big deal but I'd expect the internet connection to stay on all the time.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I'm within range but I'm constantly losing my internet connection and when we ask Caseys about it they just say "We're working on it" - it's been about 6 months. It goes off for like 20 minutes every 3 hours almost - not a big deal but I'd expect the internet connection to stay on all the time.

Oh that does suck - big time!

I was under the impression that caseys had an excellent service, as well as good customer care.

I think it's like a workmate keeps telling me - "I'll tell you how good a company is when I have problems with their service"...

deravarra wrote: »
    Oh that does suck - big time!

I was under the impression that caseys had an excellent service, as well as good customer care.

I think it's like a workmate keeps telling me - "I'll tell you how good a company is when I have problems with their service"...

They do have a very good service but they just don't follow up on what they are saying and I'm sorry for saying this but there is one person there not going to mention any name but they are by far the meanest person I have ever met in my life answering me like a stubborn 16 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

CAseys is does have a good service most of the time but dont expect any of your questions to be answered clearly by the staff in their office. Also there is one guy working for them and he is very rude and Ignorant.

One time four years ago my internet connection kept dropping every thirty seconds and I contacted caseys about it so this guy arrives trying to tell me that its a problem with my computer so I had to tell him I have been working with computers for over twenty years and I know for a fact its not my hardware is wrong. So he looked at me with a stupid look as if to say I was lieing. He then went ahead and changed all the cables in my appartment and stood looking at the modem for two minutes. The modem made a fool out of me and stayed connected until he was gone away for two minutes and the connection dropped again.

In the end it was their server out the road was broken and it took them five weeks to fix it.

As for caseys not supplying to abbeyside. Well my brother lives in Crucain (I think thats how its spelled) which is well beyond DR. Staceys. So There is no reason why he wouldnt supply internet to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cablesurf

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. Could you PM me your details please and we will investigate. Thank you, Cablesurf

Could you PM me the exact address where you require the service and I will check it for you, thank you, Cablesurf

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

caseys CABLESURF is one of the best internet providers in the country!!!

one of dungarvan's many success stories!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

abbeyside

Where in Abbeyside? I had Cablesurf when I lived there a few years ago and I know of a few that have it there now.

To the Cablesurf poster, what is the upload speed for the 60mb and 120mb packages?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Where in Abbeyside? I had Cablesurf when I lived there a few years ago and I know of a few that have it there now.

To the Cablesurf poster, what is the upload speed for the 60mb and 120mb packages?

Hi, for both the 60Mb and the 120Mb packages the upload speed at the moment is 3Mb but we will be increasing that shortly. thank you

The one thing I am curious about is why is the upload restricted to 3MB/s in the first place. Most internet providers will have their upload speed a whole lot faster than that if their download speed is 60mb/s. Ive seen some people with download speeds of 30mb/s with 15mb/s upload and some are even faster. One guy I know from another country has a download speed of 50MB/s and 20mb/s upload. I just recently changed to 60MB/s internet and the old modem I had was 20MB/s with 756k/s upload. So whats the reason for this restriction? Is it your servers?

Also the guy who installed the new modem / router for me a month ago told me that I wouldnt get higher than 20mb/s download speed with wireless. But its a Wireless-n router so I am getting 57MB/s download speeds on my wireless. I could have installed the router myself. Its not a challenge and its dead easy.

Just a bit off topic: I dont mean any hard feelings to Cablesurf but your TV service suck real bad which is why I am with SKY TV. I went with SKY TV because my favourite channels on caseys were removed shortly after MR Casey died , then after that the TV service got worse as time went by. TV channells kept disapearing and the digibox wasnt worth talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

Cablesurf wrote: »
    Hi, for both the 60Mb and the 120Mb packages the upload speed at the moment is 3Mb but we will be increasing that shortly. thank you

I am with Cablesurf a year now and was always happy with the 30 Mb line. Since they introduced the 60 and 120 packages, the upload is always (fare) lower than 1 Mbps.

Does that mean I have to change to a higher package? :eek:

I have the 30 MB package and whenever I test my connection on multiple sites and on my PS3 the speeds are roughly the same

Download Speed : 7 MB per second
    Upload Speed : 300 - 500 KB per second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Something wrong if ye are only getting those speeds.

On 30mb myself and I am getting the following

875444098.png

this is a result taken from my friend's house which is next door can anyone tell me what the problem is

http://www.speedtest.net/result/876112901.png

I guess, the Router Settings are different or worst case, yours is faulty.

Is it possible to change the Router at Cabelesurf for free?

My one blocks me from the Administration login and sometimes (3 times a day) just interrupts the wireless connection to my Lapton :confused:

Test a minute ago: http://www.speedtest.net/result/876711101.png

Try magnet speedtest or the london server in speedtest.net. The Irish speedtest results are bad. I got 30mb/s or lower in the Irish servers in the speedtest so I done the test to london and I am getting 57mb/s down and 3.03mb/s upload.

Hi Steve, thanks for letting us know.

My Speedtest on the London Server resulted in, Down: 20 Up: 0.8

http://www.speedtest.net/result/877869943.png

On my experience, a big problem is the unstable data rate. Over nighttime it is mostly OK but during the day and especially in the evenings it's fare down.

Anyway! Cablesurf is a great provider and if they could just increase the Upload speed and stabilize the server/connection, it would be perfect.

Happy surfing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

I am in Abbeyside and can get Cablesurf but I am so sick of bad service and rude staff that I am desperate for a new Internet provider. Wimax due to contact me re: whether or not they can provide?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The girls in the office don't have a clue what they are on about!

I got rid of casesy TV service years ago in favour of sky, who offer a much better package...

But, in over 10 years of useage, caseys as an ISP, are hard to beat!

Advertisement